PDA

View Full Version : Waterhen Lake question

f_train22
07-16-2015, 08:13 PM
We have been going to waterhen lake for the past couple years and have had great success with walleye and pike there. My question to the forum is has anyone had success with perch in this lake. We went to Makwa Lake (loon lake) for years and had great success in 5-10 ft of water. No such luck at waterhen so far. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

waterhawk
07-16-2015, 08:35 PM
We have been going to waterhen lake for the past couple years and have had great success with walleye and pike there. My question to the forum is has anyone had success with perch in this lake. We went to Makwa Lake (loon lake) for years and had great success in 5-10 ft of water. No such luck at waterhen so far. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have never heard of perch fishing in Waterhen. It is a great lake for jacks and pickerel. I don't know why but the perch seem to be further west. Biggest perch I have seen are in Lac des Isles.

EZM
07-16-2015, 09:47 PM
We haven't targeted perch specifically there - but there are quite a few of them in little waterhen (on the east side through the narrows). They chase your spoon or spinner when casting for pike in there. We never saw a perch big enough to entice us to fish for them - they seem small (like Wabamun perch).

I don't recall ever seeing any perch on the big side of the lake (west side) but I'm sure they are around there as well.

Be careful going through there if the water is still low - dead heads and one big ugly rock.

Centralalbertasongdogslay
07-21-2015, 06:12 AM
I have caught some nice 10 to 12 inch perch ice fishing waterhen in about 10 feet of water

Cowtown guy
07-21-2015, 05:23 PM
That parks guys were there this spring and they all said don't bother. Fish Johnstone north of Lac Des Isle or LC DesIsle was what they all said.
I have been fishing there for 25 years and have only seen a scant few in fish bellies and 2 incidental catches.