PDA

View Full Version : Is this a cherry? Plant ID

dom1
07-18-2015, 11:06 PM
I recently came across a small tree in Edmonton with lots of little red fruits. They are yellow on the inside with a stone in the middle. Here is a pic. They look a lot like cherries to me, but before I pick them for eating, could someone confirm/contradict my identification? Is there anything that looks like a cherry, but's poisonous?

Thanks,
Dominic

KGB
07-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Looks like a sour cherry to me.

CaberTosser
07-18-2015, 11:22 PM
I would agree on the cherry ID, I just put in 3 Evans sour cherry trees in our yard this year, one of them was 'in fruit' with green cherries already when I bought it, they ripened up to look like what you have there and have already been ravaged by what I'm guessing was birds. Looks like some netting is in order for next year.

Bushrat
07-19-2015, 08:08 AM
I got a cherry tree and it produces tons of cherries, they 'ripen' and turn deep dark red, soft and juicy, they look so good but no matter how long you let them ripen they are so sour they make battery acid seem sweet. Eat one of those cherries and you can feel your teeth dissolving.... sheesh. Birds or bugs don't touch. Anybody know what kind it might be and can the cherries be used for anything?

omega50
07-19-2015, 08:21 AM
I got a cherry tree and it produces tons of cherries, they 'ripen' and turn deep dark red, soft and juicy, they look so good but no matter how long you let them ripen they are so sour they make battery acid seem sweet. Eat one of those cherries and you can feel your teeth dissolving.... sheesh. Birds or bugs don't touch. Anybody know what kind it might be and can the cherries be used for anything?

Meggybor

Kim473
07-20-2015, 07:32 AM

We make juice from our Evans cherry.

Redfrog
07-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Meggybor

Nice. Am I the only guy who googled Meggybor and couldn't read a word for ten pages?:angry3:

Peter Abelard
07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
I recently came across a small tree in Edmonton with lots of little red fruits. They are yellow on the inside with a stone in the middle. Here is a pic. They look a lot like cherries to me, but before I pick them for eating, could someone confirm/contradict my identification? Is there anything that looks like a cherry, but's poisonous?

Thanks,
Dominic

It's an Evan's Cherry, or one of the USask varieties (http://www.fruit.usask.ca/dwarfsourcherries.html)developed from it.

MountainTi
07-20-2015, 12:40 PM
It's a cupid cherry. They are all right to eat. I have a couple of them

buckmaster
07-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Looks like a nanking cherry. did it look like a bush or tree where you picked this from?

Peter Abelard
07-20-2015, 12:57 PM
It's a cupid cherry.

I believe cupids are darker.

Peter Abelard
07-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Looks like a nanking cherry.

I believe Nanking's are rounder.

omega50
07-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Nice. Am I the only guy who googled Meggybor and couldn't read a word for ten pages?:angry3:

Hungarian Sour Cherry Wine:)
pronounced
Medge Bore

Or reduce juice with sugar til thick and make a liqueur
Meggy Palinka

MountainTi
07-20-2015, 03:46 PM
I believe cupids are darker.

Actually I just had a few off mine today, they are actually fairly red, same as picture. Mine are definately cupids as I still have the tags from when I bought them

Peter Abelard
07-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Actually I just had a few off mine today, they are actually fairly red, same as picture. Mine are definately cupids as I still have the tags from when I bought them

Could be - I think many of the Usask Cherries are so similar it's hard to tell them apart without the bill of purchase.

Could be Romeo, Julie, Valentine, Cupid... or even a stock Evans Cherry... But I think more or less we've narrowed it down sufficiently for the OP...

dom1
07-21-2015, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It looks more like a tree than a bush. The taste is different from store bought but not unpleasant. As long as they're not poisonous I guess it doesn't matter what variety it is.