PDA

View Full Version : Hook setting.

Hydro1
07-19-2015, 04:04 AM
So I have issues with setting the hook.
For every 50 good bites I get, I only land one or two of those fish.
I have my drag set at 25% of the test. I use 8 pound mono.
Even if I let the fish grab the lure, swim off pulling out the line. Then try to set, I get my lure flying through the air more often than I would care to admit.
I honestly don't think I try to set it too hard, haven't had any experienced fisherman critique my technique.
It seem's that other fisherman don't have the problem to this extent.

This evening for instance, I honestly got about 30 really good bites. At least 5 of those fish were pulling out line.
Nearly got 3 fish to shore, but those ones slipped the hook.
I know it's a pretty vague question, just hoping for a few pointers.

It's late and I am tired, I am sure I left something out. If so let me know what other info you need.

As always, greatly appreciate it folks!

NewAlbertan
07-19-2015, 04:28 AM
Suggest using a quick and short snap up to set the hook. Don't give a full 'yank'.
Keep ur tip up and maintain a tight line but not more pressure than that.

Hey, if you're getting hits, your doing well! :)

sportman
07-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Make sure your hooks are always sharp. Maybe your bait is too big, lots of time they only have the bait in their mouth and not the hook especially when using minnows for walleye.

RigPig
07-19-2015, 07:46 AM
Are you fishing with power bait? I have had walleye hold a longer tail then let go when tension is felt. I will then trim the fake minnow down so the fish has no choice but to take the pointy end of the hook. Also make sure the hook and barb are exposed. If you are fishing trebles I can only guess you have been watching to many bass fishing shows.

CK Angler
07-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Wait longer before setting the hook. Could also be small fish and there not getting the entire bait in their mouth. Not sure your method of fishing but stinger hooks can help.

AdverseCity
07-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Monofilament line stretches when you set the hook, try switching to braided line with a mono or fluorocarbon leader.

wildwoods
07-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Be a little more specific on your techniques and I'm sure we can narrow it down. You're doing well if getting hit with that frequency. What kind of fish and what are you using. There's times you have to set right away and other times you need to wait

DiabeticKripple
07-19-2015, 09:18 AM
tighten up the drag too. if they are taking line a hook set will do nothing.

TROLLER
07-19-2015, 09:19 AM
It almost sounds like it is small pan fish like perch or maybe even carp that are grabbing on. Maybe all you need to do besides checking that your hooks are sharp is to go down in size to a #10 of 12.

Hard to say without some more info.

Habfan
07-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Suggest using a quick and short snap up to set the hook. Don't give a full 'yank'.

X2 on this, don't use braid, IMO I lost more fish because of the no stretch and soon switched back to mono.

bessiedog
07-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Sticky sharp hooks are soooo important.

It's not just for salmon fishing.

Try running a 'stinger' behind your bait to get those short strikes

wildwoods
07-19-2015, 09:30 AM
X2 on this, don't use braid, IMO I lost more fish because of the no stretch and soon switched back to mono.

I fish a ton of braid with a solid palomar knot. Never have an issue with no stretch. I prefer it. And if ole toothhead takes the entire presentation I'm not getting cut off.
I don't mind flouro though. It holds up pretty good

huntsfurfish
07-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Sharp hooks are a must. Sharp hooks are easier to set(penetrate).

Line type. Mono or superline has a part to play in how you set your hooks.

Rod type- stiff rods set different than soft rods. (super line users can use a softer rod and mono users a stiffer rod).

Fish species. Some can handle hard hook sets some cant. Three in particular that cant are goldeye/mooneye/whitefish easy to tear hooks out.

Drag also can have an impact on your hookset.

As mentioned bait size also can have an effect too.

Likely you might have a number of these affecting your catch rate.

And last but not least. Try setting right away, if that was unsuccessful then add a 1-2 second delay. Then another 1-2 second delay etc. Problem here when using bait is fish may get hooked deep.

Kurt505
07-19-2015, 10:00 AM
If the hook ends up flying through the air, have you checked it for lips on your hooks? Different fish demand different hook sets, but always use a sharp hook. Fish with smaller softer mouths like small trout perch and goldeye only need a slight snap to set the hook, pike walleye, and of course bass can take a better yank.
It doesn't matter if your using braid or mono so long as you're aware of the difference in response time, I've been using braid since spider wire came out in the late 80's or early 90's, it's like anything else, you get used to it. Sorta like when your used to a vehicle that has soft brakes, then you jump into one with sharp breaks, everyone is kissing the dash for the first few blocks, but then you figure them out.

Hydro1
07-19-2015, 02:48 PM

Great, thank you!
Make sure your hooks are always sharp. Maybe your bait is too big, lots of time they only have the bait in their mouth and not the hook especially when using minnows for walleye.
I dont use minnows,typically spoons, spinners, crankbaits, and 1/8 or 1/4 oz jigs with a 2inch mr twister. I am pretty anal about my hooks being sharp.
Thanks!
Are you fishing with power bait? I have had walleye hold a longer tail then let go when tension is felt. I will then trim the fake minnow down so the fish has no choice but to take the pointy end of the hook. Also make sure the hook and barb are exposed. If you are fishing trebles I can only guess you have been watching to many bass fishing shows.
Only "bait" i use are the mr twister grubs. I use trebles on the spoons and spinners.
I dont watch fishing shows, what do you mean?
Thanks!
Wait longer before setting the hook. Could also be small fish and there not getting the entire bait in their mouth. Not sure your method of fishing but stinger hooks can help.
Will looke at them. Thanks!
Monofilament line stretches when you set the hook, try switching to braided line with a mono or fluorocarbon leader.
Yeah i keep putting off going and getting some power line.
Thanks!

Hydro1
07-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Be a little more specific on your techniques and I'm sure we can narrow it down. You're doing well if getting hit with that frequency. What kind of fish and what are you using. There's times you have to set right away and other times you need to wait
Spinners, spoons, jigs, and crankbaits. I "target" walleye, as i find pike and goldeye take the lures too.
Thanks!
tighten up the drag too. if they are taking line a hook set will do nothing.
Will do.
Isnt setting the drag higher a little risky?
Will need some power line asap....
Thanks!
It almost sounds like it is small pan fish like perch or maybe even carp that are grabbing on. Maybe all you need to do besides checking that your hooks are sharp is to go down in size to a #10 of 12.
Hard to say without some more info.
Last night fishing, i am positive that the majority of the hits were from goldeye.
Yes, very sharp hooks.
Thanks,
Hmm, will have to keep that in mind.
Thanks!
Sticky sharp hooks are soooo important.

It's not just for salmon fishing.

Try running a 'stinger' behind your bait to get those short strikes
Whats a stinger?
Thanks!
I fish a ton of braid with a solid palomar knot. Never have an issue with no stretch. I prefer it. And if ole toothhead takes the entire presentation I'm not getting cut off.
I don't mind flouro though. It holds up pretty good
Great to hear, thanks!
Sharp hooks are a must. Sharp hooks are easier to set(penetrate).

Line type. Mono or superline has a part to play in how you set your hooks.

Rod type- stiff rods set different than soft rods. (super line users can use a softer rod and mono users a stiffer rod).

Fish species. Some can handle hard hook sets some cant. Three in particular that cant are goldeye/mooneye/whitefish easy to tear hooks out.

Drag also can have an impact on your hookset.

As mentioned bait size also can have an effect too.

Likely you might have a number of these affecting your catch rate.

And last but not least. Try setting right away, if that was unsuccessful then add a 1-2 second delay. Then another 1-2 second delay etc. Problem here when using bait is fish may get hooked deep.
I am using a st croix triumph fast action, medium power...
Smallest grubs i cant find, and the trebles are failr small too.
Great, thanks!
If the hook ends up flying through the air, have you checked it for lips on your hooks? Different fish demand different hook sets, but always use a sharp hook. Fish with smaller softer mouths like small trout perch and goldeye only need a slight snap to set the hook, pike walleye, and of course bass can take a better yank.
It doesn't matter if your using braid or mono so long as you're aware of the difference in response time, I've been using braid since spider wire came out in the late 80's or early 90's, it's like anything else, you get used to it. Sorta like when your used to a vehicle that has soft brakes, then you jump into one with sharp breaks, everyone is kissing the dash for the first few blocks, but then you figure them out.

No lips on the hooks, that has happened to me once last year though. Not recently.
Might have to take er a little easier tonight. See if i cant up my success rate.
Thanks Kurt!

DiabeticKripple
07-19-2015, 03:22 PM
the drag will keep your line from snapping, 25% is pretty low, i like to go 60-80%.

i use 10lb braid and i keep it around 7lbs.

you dont need to send the fish flying out of the water when you set the hook, just enough to load up the rod pretty good

FlyTheory
07-19-2015, 03:32 PM
I know with crankbaits you dont really have to set the hook hard otherwise you'll pull the bait from the fish. With jigs a good ol' bass set is always a good bet ;)

wildwoods
07-19-2015, 04:28 PM
If you are trolling your spoons and plugs your rod holder will be your best friend. Let the rod do the hook setting for you when trolling.

JD848
07-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Sharper hooks or try other hooks,your drag is way to low so when you set the hook along with line stretching your not getting a good hook set.

If your rod has no back bone to it or not stiff enough along with way to low a drag plus line stretch ,this good be the reason.

Change your line if you wish for a non stretch line but add a 3 foot piece of your mono with a good swivel and that may help. Their are many types of hooks for every kind of fishing. Talk to your tackle guy and find out what your best hook is for the type of fishing you do.

Also many hooks are made for just mouth or lip hooking and well not harm the fish along with better hook set also a good reel with proper bearings makes for an even return of your line and better drag.

Hydro1
07-19-2015, 05:16 PM
I know with crankbaits you dont really have to set the hook hard otherwise you'll pull the bait from the fish. With jigs a good ol' bass set is always a good bet ;)
I have no idea what a "bass set" is. I will look it up.
Thanks!
If you are trolling your spoons and plugs your rod holder will be your best friend. Let the rod do the hook setting for you when trolling.
I fish from shore.
Thats a great idea for when i am in a boat though.
Thanks!
Sharper hooks or try other hooks,your drag is way to low so when you set the hook along with line stretching your not getting a good hook set.

If your rod has no back bone to it or not stiff enough along with way to low a drag plus line stretch ,this good be the reason.

Change your line if you wish for a non stretch line but add a 3 foot piece of your mono with a good swivel and that may help. Their are many types of hooks for every kind of fishing. Talk to your tackle guy and find out what your best hook is for the type of fishing you do.

Also many hooks are made for just mouth or lip hooking and well not harm the fish along with better hook set also a good reel with proper bearings makes for an even return of your line and better drag.
I will up the drag to 60% tonight and see how that works.
The rod is most definetly not to fault, it me messing up. Haha
I have a brand new shimano spirex 2500fg reel. Really happy with it.

I could very well be using too large of a treble too?
Thanks!

bobalong
07-19-2015, 05:44 PM
If your hooks are sharp there is no need to "set" the hook. Reel down until you just lightly start to feel weight and slowly lift the rod, the real key is always keeping pressure once you start lifting the rod. Hard "bass sets" are not really required for walleye IMO, as suggested before when trolling walleye hook themselves with nothing but constant pressure on the line, no different when jigging.

Hydro1
07-19-2015, 05:49 PM
If your hooks are sharp there is no need to "set" the hook. Reel down until you just lightly start to feel weight and slowly lift the rod, the real key is always keeping pressure once you start lifting the rod. Hard "bass sets" are not really required for walleye IMO, as suggested before when trolling walleye hook themselves with nothing but constant pressure on the line, no different when jigging.

Perhaps my definition of a sharp hook isnt the same as you guys... :thinking-006:
Most of the hooks i am using right now are brand new out of the package.
Any idiot proof way to make sure they are as sharp as they are supposed to be?

DiabeticKripple
07-19-2015, 05:51 PM
i like a hookset on any fish. but i dont do a huge one. just pop it up to load the rod.

the hooks will be sharp enough out of the box

bobalong
07-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Perhaps my definition of a sharp hook isnt the same as you guys... :thinking-006:
Most of the hooks i am using right now are brand new out of the package.
Any idiot proof way to make sure they are as sharp as they are supposed to be?

Many are not "sticky" sharp when new. If they hang or "stick" on your thumbnail when you try to slide them across , they are sharp enough.

JD848
07-19-2015, 06:21 PM
You have a good rod and reel,sometimes they will hit short on your bait and will only lip hold the bait not taking in the hook into their mouth so you have to feed it to em by let out a bit of line with slight tension on it.

If that doesn't work ad a small trailer hook or stinger as some guys call them and hide the stinger at the end of your bait inside the bait,then as soon as you get a hit you know their is hook in the fishes mouth,small flick of the wrist to hook set and fish on.

Depending on what your doing and how much line you have out makes a big difference on line choice,if using mono and you have lots of line out a little more pressure in hook set is required and constant pressure should always be on the line keeping your rod tip higher up and that way if he makes a run for it you bring the rod down while the drag does it's work,if you rod is to low and he is lightly hooked you have no place to go with your rod tip is in the water and if the fish is a monster this also gives you a bit of time to back off your drag a little when your rod is held correctly.

If your fishing for walleyes and other fish are hitting with smaller mouth's you can lose plenty of hits also,all the bites you had may have only been 15 percent walleye or less.

Theirs are dozen's of method's on catching walleye's .

Hydro1
07-19-2015, 06:40 PM
i like a hookset on any fish. but i dont do a huge one. just pop it up to load the rod.

the hooks will be sharp enough out of the box
Seems a few of them are, the rest are not.
Thanks!
Many are not "sticky" sharp when new. If they hang or "stick" on your thumbnail when you try to slide them across , they are sharp enough.
I tried that out, the new ones on a few of my spinners are fine. The trebles on my spoons are dull i guess. Going to switch those out.
Thanks!
You have a good rod and reel,sometimes they will hit short on your bait and will only lip hold the bait not taking in the hook into their mouth so you have to feed it to em by let out a bit of line with slight tension on it.

If that doesn't work ad a small trailer hook or stinger as some guys call them and hide the stinger at the end of your bait inside the bait,then as soon as you get a hit you know their is hook in the fishes mouth,small flick of the wrist to hook set and fish on.

Depending on what your doing and how much line you have out makes a big difference on line choice,if using mono and you have lots of line out a little more pressure in hook set is required and constant pressure should always be on the line keeping your rod tip higher up and that way if he makes a run for it you bring the rod down while the drag does it's work,if you rod is to low and he is lightly hooked you have no place to go with your rod tip is in the water and if the fish is a monster this also gives you a bit of time to back off your drag a little when your rod is held correctly.

If your fishing for walleyes and other fish are hitting with smaller mouth's you can lose plenty of hits also,all the bites you had may have only been 15 percent walleye or less.

Theirs are dozen's of method's on catching walleye's .
Great info!
Thanks, will report back tonight. Going to go back to the same area full of goldeye.

EZM
07-19-2015, 07:26 PM
I think everyone beat this one to death - there are so many factors that could be the issue but I will say the most important, hands down, is a sharp hook.

I bet that there is no hook set required for more than half the pike, walleye or trout I catch if I'm trolling on retrieving line. A sharp hook drives itself home if fish are aggressive.

The only time there might be a hook set required most of the time is bait fishing - where, as a rule of thumb, I let the fish give it a good chew before I give it a short sharp and firm hook set and concentrate on keeping line tension immediately after.

I watched a guy who I fish with - set a hook (lift his rod really high) only to drop the rod tip down to begin reeling in - he lost tension and that could have led to him missing a few fish.

Wild&Free
07-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Can't offer any advice that hasnt been said already.

I will second the tighten up your drag, and try smaller hooks.
Im not quiet sure how you guys determine your drag weight, what I usually do is set it so that it doesn't click on the retrieve, and if I do a hook set with no fish on it doesnt click either. it's easy enough to loosen it off if a fish starts pulling hard anyways. if fish are taking line while your throwing spoons and spinners it's too light imo.

As for sharp hooks, if I can lightly drag the point across a finger nail and it scratches the nail its sharp.

Habfan
07-19-2015, 08:19 PM

I'm with you on this ! When I'm trolling bottom bouncers and people I am with are having trouble hooking up, I tell them to leave the rod in the holder and let the fish hook themselves ! I use very good hooks on my rigs and find some people just tend to lose a lot of fish when holding the rod !

FCLightning
07-19-2015, 08:37 PM
If your spoon is flying out of the water you are setting the hook much too hard IMO. Once you "feel" them on, put a bend in your rod and keep it there. That's about it.

bobalong
07-19-2015, 08:38 PM
I'm with you on this ! When I'm trolling bottom bouncers and people I am with are having trouble hooking up, I tell them to leave the rod in the holder and let the fish hook themselves ! I use very good hooks on my rigs and find some people just tend to lose a lot of fish when holding the rod !

I do the same a lot when bouncing, but will sweep the rod ahead every once in a while. People's knee jerk reaction is to strike immediately when they feel a hit, if the fish are aggressive this works sometimes, but if they are in a negative mood, often times they do not have the lure in far enough to initiate a good set. Due to the way walleye eat (inhale) you must allow a certain amount of slack for them to get the lure into their mouth.

If you are have ever used an underwater camera in the winter, this becomes real evident, as a walleye, may flair at least 2-3 times before the lure is actually in enough for a hook set. I always fish with a float in the winter, and at times it can take 10-15 seconds for them to move the float down even an inch, which is usually still not enough for a good hook up.

wildwoods
07-19-2015, 10:33 PM
I do the same a lot when bouncing, but will sweep the rod ahead every once in a while. People's knee jerk reaction is to strike immediately when they feel a hit, if the fish are aggressive this works sometimes, but if they are in a negative mood, often times they do not have the lure in far enough to initiate a good set. Due to the way walleye eat (inhale) you must allow a certain amount of slack for them to get the lure into their mouth.

If you are have ever used an underwater camera in the winter, this becomes real evident, as a walleye, may flair at least 2-3 times before the lure is actually in enough for a hook set. I always fish with a float in the winter, and at times it can take 10-15 seconds for them to move the float down even an inch, which is usually still not enough for a good hook up.

Your bang on. It's really eye-opening watching them feed down the hole in the winter. More often than not they just have the bait in their mouth and haven't committed to the whole hook yet. Super good advice Bob

Hydro1
07-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Great info bobalong!

Went out for a whopping 30 minutes tonight.
Only change I made was some new treble hooks, and upped my drag to a little over 60%. Also snapped the rod a lot lighter than I have been to set the hook.
Landed 1 goldeye and 2 walleye, out of 6 bites.
Huge step in the right direction. Mix of too light of drag, a few dull hooks, and improper technique.
thanks guys!!!

Wild&Free
07-19-2015, 11:25 PM
Great info bobalong!

Only change I made was some new treble hooks, and upped my drag to a little over 60%. Also snapped the rod a lot lighter than I have been to set the hook.
Huge step in the right direction. Mix of too light of drag, a few dull hold, and improper technique.
thanks guys!!!

Them goldeye took quiet an adjustment for me to start getting consistent hook ups. small mouths and a strike/tear feeding technique(assumption) instead of a strike/swallow, or inhale had me missing tons of them. feisty fighters though.

JD848
07-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Great info bobalong!

Huge step in the right direction. Mix of too light of drag, a few dull hooks, and improper technique.
thanks guys!!!

Right on.