PDA

View Full Version : Determination pays off

CK Angler
07-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Hey guys, some of you may remember the lake trout photo / video floating around of my gf's first ever laker she landed earlier this year (still her only one to date)

Wide open spaces did a cool write up covering the story. Check it out, just follow the link below and feel free to share !

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/beauty-wins-beastly-trout-determination-grit-video/

Brock1
07-20-2015, 11:54 AM
very cool! congrats to her

B.

creighton
07-20-2015, 04:26 PM
What a rush!!! Great fish and video!!

Photohawk
07-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Good video Cory...glad to see you have it published story. What was the set up you use to land the beast ?
Vanessa.....

CK Angler
07-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Photo hawk, Simple white tube jig, 32" MH rod paired with a quantum catalyst PTI40 and 30lbs berkly Fire line.

I'm sure you guys see it all the time on these forums, the recomendation and sometimes verbal assaults to use the right gear when targeting sturgeon? well the same goes for all big fish. Invest in the right gear and your giving yourself the best chance for success.

Lol could you imagine if I gave her a wal-Mart special rod for this trip?? After all we went through to get there, Jo would probably have never forgiven me lol instead I gave her my best "big fish" rod and well, the rest is history ;)

Tight lines

Photohawk
07-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Photo hawk, Simple white tube jig, 32" MH rod paired with a quantum catalyst PTI40 and 30lbs berkly Fire line.

I'm sure you guys see it all the time on these forums, the recomendation and sometimes verbal assaults to use the right gear when targeting sturgeon? well the same goes for all big fish. Invest in the right gear and your giving yourself the best chance for success.

Lol could you imagine if I gave her a wal-Mart special rod for this trip?? After all we went through to get there, Jo would probably have never forgiven me lol instead I gave her my best "big fish" rod and well, the rest is history ;)

Tight lines
No frozen minnow ?

CK Angler
07-20-2015, 10:27 PM
No frozen minnow ?

Yes but not always, and sometimes just the tail.

What I found really matters is the weight of your jig. I'll use 1/2 oz to 1 oz, depending on the bite. If they want a slower drop then lighter, faster then heavier.

You can also run stingers for more hook ups. Gord Pyzer has some good lake trout articles online. I know ice fishing season is still a few months away but take the time and read some info, it can really help you dial them in.

Photohawk
07-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Yes but not always, and sometimes just the tail.

What I found really matters is the weight of your jig. I'll use 1/2 oz to 1 oz, depending on the bite. If they want a slower drop then lighter, faster then heavier.

You can also run stingers for more hook ups. Gord Pyzer has some good lake trout articles online. I know ice fishing season is still a few months away but take the time and read some info, it can really help you dial them in.
My boss has had some online conversations with Gord. My boss sent him bait buttons for him to try on Lake Winnipeg. He was quite pleased about the simple design especially when baiting hooks in boat. He is a deadly fisherman,