PDA

View Full Version : What is the Allure of Baitcasters?

waterninja
07-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Like a lot of older guys I grew up fishing with a closed reel. Then when I started fishing BC rivers for Salmon and Steelhead I was told a good baitcaster is the way to go. I went to a couple of Ambassedor baitcasters, but even with experiance I found the cast distance lacking and still got the odd rats nest. Also had some problems with baitcaster reels while fishing in very cold temps. Once I found out you could switch the open face reel handle for a right hand retrieve I started using them and would never go back. Good casting distance, never a snarl, good drag system and easy to switch spools.
Lately some die hard fishermen I have talked with have told me about the great baitcasters there using, or planning to buy.
Is there any aspect in a baitcasters performance or fishing application where it would be preferable to a spinning reel?

EZM
07-21-2015, 11:03 AM
I use them both.

A baitcaster will cast further IF it's set up properly and used correctly on a typical fishing rod.

The centrifugal clutch in the free position will let you whip out a relatively light lure with relatively heavy line - that's where there is a true advantage. Of course, you gotta have your technique down and know how to use your thumb otherwise you are in for a nasty surprise.

The other benefit I see is accuracy. Casting toward a small pocket in a tight spot allows you to "thumb" the spool so your presentation lands at the right distance each time and allows it to land more gently if desired. This is very hard to accomplish with a spinning reel.

Having said all those wonderful things about bait casters - guess which rod I grab when casting ........ the one with a spinning reel ...... go figure.

THERICARDO
07-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Although I use both still I find my baitcasters work better when using big lures and have an easier time reeling in larger fish. AMbassadeur C3 has always been great for me for trolling or shore fishing with rigs and sliders... Have a Revo Toro that I love casting, just an all around great reel. Havent had a birds nest in few years but took some time to get use it honestly. Still love using Open face reel, always take a cpl of both and then depends how and what I am fishing for...

cant go wrong with either, good luck

Kurt505
07-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Another thing is more power and line capacity in a smaller package, allowing for a lighter setup. I have a few baitcasters and I use them for bigger fish and heavier lures. They're a bit more technical to use than a spin cast reel, but once you get the hang of it, it's like anything else.

recce43
07-21-2015, 11:53 AM
baitcasters are good for flippin for bass in the weeds

Winch101
07-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Firstly most people don't buy a good one ....

Easier on the line , no twist when fighting a big fish and the drag
Screams . Better for trolling , I don't like them better jigging for
Walleyes . As said throwing big baits . You can put a lot more
Stress on BC spool than a spinning spool .
Most people have a lot of trouble using a BC er for casting lighter
Terminal .
I did quite a bit of Bass fishing in the US so I learned from guys
That really knew their stuff . More people would use them ,if someone
Schooled them in the use .

Now saying that ,last sat. ,not paying attention , I got the supreme
Backlash ......Dodger. From here still laughing I think .

Shimano Caenan ,,,,,Fishin Hole ...,99 bucks ....you can make that
Work ......good spool stop settings .

The other thing that gets people is ....BC er you cast with your left
And reel with right hand ....
Spinning right, power hand casting and left reeling ...

Setting the hook is done with right on both .
The new BC er designed to sit in the palm of your hand .....
Done right , it's great .

Jack&7
07-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Personally, I LOVE baitcasters on short rods for pike through the ice....there is no better set up than that.

waterninja
07-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Personally, I LOVE baitcasters on short rods for pike through the ice....there is no better set up than that.
Well I can see that some some of you like the baitcasters, and maybe they are better suited to some kinds of fishing.
Jack, I have had both my ambassador and caenan fail me while ice fishing. For some reason the handles would turn but spool wouldn't revolve.

RavYak
07-21-2015, 05:00 PM
I use both.

The main advantages of a baitcaster are increased distance with heavier lures, better accuracy and ability to thumb the reel to set hook and to pull in big fish. The latter is the biggest reason I prefer baitcasters for pike/walleye/lake trout, sturgeon as it lets me keep my drag somewhat loose but still get a good hook set and pull big fish in. For my lighter gear like my trout rod I would never use a baitcaster as they are useless with light lures(1/4 oz and lighter are better with spinning gear).

PerchBuster
07-21-2015, 05:35 PM
I love using a baitcaster for jigging for Walleye etc along drop offs because it is way easier to maintain bottom contact than using a spinning outfit. With the thumb bar right there on top you can quickly release a foot or two of line out at a time and you can really maintain contact with the bottom as the jig works down the break. No reaching around the front of the reel to release the line. With the spool set correctly you can slowly let out line with the baitcaster but with a spinning reel the jig free falls too quickly on slack line. I like using them for trolling cranks, spinners etc as well. If I'm fan casting an area or using slip bobbers then I will more often go to a spinning rig.

Mountain Guy
07-21-2015, 05:53 PM
The allure is the excitement of not knowing which cast will cause the worst gnarl you've ever seen that renders the reel useless for the next 4 hours or so..

EZM
07-21-2015, 05:55 PM
For my lighter gear like my trout rod I would never use a baitcaster as they are useless with light lures(1/4 oz and lighter are better with spinning gear).

Most bass guys are casting very light lures a very long way.

A baitcaster's strength is in casting lighter lures with heavier lines and certainly, and without a doubt, outperforms a spinning reel in this area. (same rod characteristics and line weight). This is 1/2 oz up really - which is almost everything in your tackle box.

It's all about your set up.

Maybe try setting your centrifugal clutch - under the round part, and set (more of) the brakes to off position.

There is no way you should have trouble casting a light lure with a baitcaster unless it's cheap or not set up properly.

Keep in mind less brakes means more backlash and birds nests - so be careful.

Really small lures ..... like the 1/4 oz you suggested........ it doesn't matter much ...... when they get too light - they get tough to cast with anything except a fly rod. lol.

RavYak
07-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Most bass guys are casting very light lures a very long way.

A baitcaster's strength is in casting lighter lures with heavier lines and certainly, and without a doubt, outperforms a spinning reel in this area. (same rod characteristics and line weight)

It's all about your set up.

Maybe try setting your centrifugal clutch - under the round part, and set (more of) the brakes to off position.

There is no way you should have trouble casting a light lure with a baitcaster unless it's cheap or not set up properly.

Keep in mind less brakes means more backlash and birds nests - so be careful.

This isn't true for lures under 1/4 oz(most bass lures are more then 1/4), for example lures used for panfish, trout, perch etc. Pretty much every baitcaster will backlash if you try to get distance throwing a truly light lure. The problem is that light lures decelerate too quickly off the get go and baitcasters brakes can't keep up without being set too tight which hurts distance.

For tossing say a 3/8 oz lure with 20 lb braid, I completely agree though.

Kurt505
07-21-2015, 06:54 PM
The problem is that light lures decelerate too quickly off the get go and baitcasters brakes can't keep up without being set too tight which hurts distance

The brake system on the Abu Revo Premier Gen 3 is awesome, I'm not sure what kind of reel you're running, but I agree with EZM, you have to spend a bit of money before you get into the more user friendly mode models.

huntsfurfish
07-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Grew up using bait casters.

Have lots of them.

If you set up with a rod suitable for light lures and spool the reel with light line, and set up the reel properly, you can cast some small stuff very well with a BC. Problems arise when you try to cast small lures(light) with a setup for larger lures. If you are going to go light route, better off for most to go with light spinning gear or ultra light gear.

A BC does its best with heavier stuff though. And trolling.:)

EZM
07-21-2015, 07:17 PM
The brake system on the Abu Revo Premier Gen 3 is awesome, I'm not sure what kind of reel you're running, but I agree with EZM, you have to spend a bit of money before you get into the more user friendly mode models.

I also run a Abu Garcia Revo Premier (but gen 2) and it's actually very forgiving and casts like a dream with all the brakes off.

I can't say the same for my Shimano Curado - she is temperamental. Last time I used her, while casting I had sneezed and I had a birds nest that was epic.

dmcbride
07-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Casting into the wind with a bait caster is a recipe for disaster. With proper size line for wieght of tackle and a good thumb it will out perform a spinning reel.

Brandonkop
07-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Baitcasting reels are great! Just takes a little practice and skill and you'll be casting lures half a mile and no birds nest. Casting is a skill with whatever reel you use. Don't give up to fast. Feels so much better reeling in a baitcaster caught fish.

Richard B.
07-21-2015, 07:41 PM
I grew up with them and like fishing them but I also like spinning gear and fly gear, pretty much anything that legally catches fish

EZM
07-21-2015, 08:18 PM
This isn't true for lures under 1/4 oz(most bass lures are more then 1/4), for example lures used for panfish, trout, perch etc. Pretty much every baitcaster will backlash if you try to get distance throwing a truly light lure. The problem is that light lures decelerate too quickly off the get go and baitcasters brakes can't keep up without being set too tight which hurts distance.

For tossing say a 3/8 oz lure with 20 lb braid, I completely agree though.

I can't say I've tossed very much stuff that light - but all my ultra light stuff is spinning gear. I guess I burn a jig every once in a while for fun - but usually have my low profiles for casting small cranks 1"-3" stuff mostly and some spinner baits.

Next time we bump into each other - I will give you my set up to test drive for a few hours. I really believe a proper set up and good baitcaster makes a big difference. Especially on Baitcasters. A decent one starts at $200 or so. The cheap ones are soooooo bad - it's unblvbl.

My first one was such a piece - paid $120 for a Rapala - and it was a nightmare. Got an Abu for Fathers day - a mid level model ($200 or so) and it was a HUGE difference.

I have a number of round baitcasters as well (both Shimano and Abu) and they are great for trolling or casting bigger stuff. I'm gravitating toward the smaller sizes of round baitcasters lately ...... just another reason to go buy a bunch of new stuff again ....

KegRiver
07-21-2015, 08:39 PM
My first few reels were bait casters. It was all that was available back then.

When spin cast reels came out I switched and never went back, for inland waters. Truth is I never really got the hang of using bait casters.

These days I don't own a bait caster. but I do use them when we go to the coast.
For tidal waters we like them for their greater capacity and greater retrieving power. We do use some spin casters in the Ocean for the smaller species.
I still can't cast with a bait caster, but even the big spin cast reals can't come close to the power of a bait caster.

On the coast we seldom cast. Most of our fishing is at depths greater then 200 feet and to get down that deep one has to use a lot of weight. We use up to a pound depending on how deep we want to go and how big the fish we are targeting are likely to be.
I don't think it is possible to cast that kind of weight, plus it is unnecessary.

I'll leave it to others to elaborate on the pros and cons of each. I really don't know much about them other then what we use them for these days.

Talking moose
07-21-2015, 08:45 PM
My favorite reel as a kid. Diawa push button.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/7efc5b88928cbef3efada6c7b0e003a5.jpg

Mackinaw
07-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Just got back from a week in BC bass fishing all I used was my bait casters .they are the best for sliding under trees or flipping in to weeds or pads and are the only thing for yanking hogs out of heavy cover. I shut my brakes right off that's why God gave you thumbs. Will post some pics when I can.

Mack

Jack&7
07-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Well I can see that some some of you like the baitcasters, and maybe they are better suited to some kinds of fishing.
Jack, I have had both my ambassador and caenan fail me while ice fishing. For some reason the handles would turn but spool wouldn't revolve.

Was that with braid? I had that happen once when I first switched to braided line. Didn't know about using mono backing at the time and since the braid was wet...then froze, the arbour was actually spinning beneath the braid but of course was not reeling any line in...

Could that have been your prob?

once I placed proper backing on the arbour, everything worked fine.

bobalong
07-22-2015, 12:22 AM
When starting your drum/spool setting as mentioned already has to be set right, I suggest slightly tighter than required, it will cut down on your casting distance a bit, but you will spend your time casting and not untangling line.

A good technique when starting out is to cast your lure up and away, not straight into the water. The whole trouble with backlash is momentum on the spool. If you cast your lure up and away the lure pulls the line off the spool until there is no more momentum and then falls into the water, with very little to no momentum left the spool will stop turning eliminating backlash. A slight touch of your thumb on the spool when lure begins to fall will ensure no backlash, but is usually not required.

If you cast your lure down to the water from a high rod position or even sideways there is often a lot of momentum on the spool when the lure hits the water, causing the backlash. If you watch guys fishing bass the last movement on the rod even if held horizontal is a quick up sweep. When starting out though I would suggest a low rod tip position casting in upward motion.

Wild&Free
07-22-2015, 12:57 AM
Like most of the others i own and use both types of reels.

I like the additional capacity, stronger drag and retrieving characteristics, and accuracy of the BC reel. being able to tighten the drag while reeling or loosen without the reach around makes fighting big fish or big current easier. I do cast further with my BC then with a spin cast, and when using bait the BC casting technique sees less bait flying off my hook vs. a spin cast.

My spin casts I primarily use when fishing skinny water or small fish like goldeye. I also prefer it when fishing with a bobber, my stop doesn't get caught in the eyes as much. I also prefer it when fishing open water in sub zero temps, eyes won't freeze off like with a BC rod where the tip eye is maybe 3-5mm in diameter.

The other advantage is weight. If targeting larger species, the BC rod and reel required will usually be lighter then the equivalent spin cast setup(and hold more line). This is good if you're casting a lot. That being said, I don't cast a lot with my 11' MH(it's closer to heavy then medium) 20-40# line rod with the Ambassador 7000 on, it's a pig.

Glenstr
07-22-2015, 09:59 AM
I bought my first baitcaster a few decades ago when I was steelhead fishing on the Fraser river. I was using a spinning reel but one of the two guys I was fishing with was using a garcia ambassadeur and the other was a real purist and using a single action casting reel. The guy with the single action was having the most fun when a fish was on but couldn't get the distance I could - but the guy with the baitcaster was out casting me (we were using drop float setups) and I liked how he could control the distance with this thumb and also keep his drag on the light side and regulate it with his thumb when the fish ran or he was setting the hook.

I eventually bought a garcia ambassadeur 6600c, I believe it was the first model with the thumb bar for releasing the spool, and I loved it.

Now I'm considering buying a smaller one for AB lakes - I live on Lac La Biche lake and have been fishing a bit more now that the lakes fish populations are rebounding. All my light gear is spinning gear but I miss the feel of a level wind and having my thumb as an extra control. One of my boys recently has started to show more of an interest in fishing so I picked up a Browning BC reel on sale at Bass Pro last time I was down Calgary way. I tried a few casts with it and sure felt nice, I love the one handed casting - now I'm trying to find a good deal on one. The local hardware store has a Bass Pro branded setup for $70 that looks passable, but I think I'll spend the extra $$ and go with a higher end one like an Abu Garcia, maybe a little bigger model and use it on my 9' Fenwick steelhead rod.

I've used my 6600 a couple of times here, but it seems a little big for these lakes and the new ones are so compact and feel nice for one hand casting. BTW I cast with right hand whether I'm using a baitcaster or spinning reel. I used to be so right handed I had to get a spinning reel with right hand drive or use it upside down, but not reeling with my left hand doesn't bother me..

huntsfurfish
07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
My favorite reel as a kid. Diawa push button.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/7efc5b88928cbef3efada6c7b0e003a5.jpg

Thanks for posting TM.
A few on here are referring to/talking about spin cast reels.

This is a spin caster.

I think they are probably referring to spinning reels(the ones with the open face).:)

edit: then again maybe not

huntsfurfish
07-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Firstly most people don't buy a good one ....
Not necessary
guys
That really knew their stuff . More people would use them ,if someone
Schooled them in the use .

True
Shimano Caenan ,,,,,Fishin Hole ...,99 bucks ....you can make that
Work ......good spool stop settings .

true.

, but I agree with EZM, you have to spend a bit of money before you get into the more user friendly mode models.

Baitcasting reels are great! Just takes a little practice and skill and you'll be casting lures half a mile and no birds nest. Casting is a skill with whatever reel you use. Don't give up to fast. Feels so much better reeling in a baitcaster caught fish.

Very true Brandon and good advice.

I really believe a proper set up and good baitcaster makes a big difference. Especially on Baitcasters. A decent one starts at $200 or so. The cheap ones are soooooo bad - it's unblvbl.

I have used $50.00 "cheap" baitcasters and they cast just fine, only downside is usually smaller capacity spool. And I cast to end of line all the time. Bought them for river fishing(lots of sand in reels).

My first one was such a piece - paid $120 for a Rapala - and it was a nightmare. Got an Abu for Fathers day - a mid level model ($200 or so) and it was a HUGE difference.

See Brandons post:) Experience based on your first?:)

When starting your drum/spool setting as mentioned already has to be set right, I suggest slightly tighter than required, it will cut down on your casting distance a bit, but you will spend your time casting and not untangling line.

A good technique when starting out is to cast your lure up and away, not straight into the water. The whole trouble with backlash is momentum on the spool. If you cast your lure up and away the lure pulls the line off the spool until there is no more momentum and then falls into the water, with very little to no momentum left the spool will stop turning eliminating backlash. A slight touch of your thumb on the spool when lure begins to fall will ensure no backlash, but is usually not required.

If you cast your lure down to the water from a high rod position or even sideways there is often a lot of momentum on the spool when the lure hits the water, causing the backlash. If you watch guys fishing bass the last movement on the rod even if held horizontal is a quick up sweep. When starting out though I would suggest a low rod tip position casting in upward motion.

Very good advice Also, adjusting the fall rate of the bait you are using each time you use a different weight bait will help a lot. This is part of setting up your rig.

The local hardware store has a Bass Pro branded setup for $70 that looks passable, but I think I'll spend the extra $$ and go with a higher end one like an Abu Garcia,
Your choice on what to spend, cant go wrong with Abu Garcia.
I've used my 6600 a couple of times here, but it seems a little big for these lakes and the new ones are so compact and feel nice for one hand casting. BTW I cast with right hand whether I'm using a baitcaster or spinning reel. I used to be so right handed I had to get a spinning reel with right hand drive or use it upside down, but not reeling with my left hand doesn't bother me..

Bottom line is low end reels cast fine if you take the time to learn. But I would stay with name brand reels(abu, shimano etc). You dont need a $200 or even $100 dollar reel if it is not in your budget. Saying they are junk or useless based on one use is kinda funny.

PS if you dont want your "cheap" reels you could give them to me.:sHa_sarcasticlol: JK I have way to many reels as it is.

edit: I have not bought a low end BC for awhile. But doubt that they have changed enough to be that bad.:)

Riverbc
07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Baitcasters, and Single action reels, allow better control of your float, when float fishing salmon and steelhead. You can free spool them downstream, controlling speed with your thumb, and feel every little bump.
By backing off the free spooling drag of the reel, and just using your thumb for casting and drifting, you will outcast any open face spinning reel, by miles.

firth5
07-22-2015, 06:28 PM
I bought a baitcaster and found out you have to be patient. I'm saying this because I sure the hell wasn't and I almost threw it in the lake a few times. But I got the hang of it and it works good

marty1
07-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Baitcasters, and Single action reels, allow better control of your float, when float fishing salmon and steelhead. You can free spool them downstream, controlling speed with your thumb, and feel every little bump.
By backing off the free spooling drag of the reel, and just using your thumb for casting and drifting, you will outcast any open face spinning reel, by miles.

I agree with everything everyone is saying about the bait casters they do have an important role the one thing I can't agree on is the fact that people say that they cast farther than a spinning reel I have yet to see someone cast further than me with a bait caster while I use a spin,to me the mechanics don't allow this to happen I use both and have buddy's that use them religiousally and have not yet been ever out cast when it comes to distance.Lets say I've made a few bucks off guys I've fished with over the years who thought they could out cast me with the same baits.i mean I don't know call it luck, but the bass pro guys sure didn't have much to say after our distance challenges and these guys know what their doing.awsome reels to have in arsenal just not my first choice when it comes to castings long distances.

ESOXangler
07-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Horsepower! I've turned 30# muskies around when on a run. Hard on rods but it's an amazing feeling!

huntsfurfish
07-22-2015, 10:04 PM
I agree with everything everyone is saying about the bait casters they do have an important role the one thing I can't agree on is the fact that people say that they cast farther than a spinning reel I have yet to see someone cast further than me with a bait caster while I use a spin,to me the mechanics don't allow this to happen I use both and have buddy's that use them religiousally and have not yet been ever out cast when it comes to distance.Lets say I've made a few bucks off guys I've fished with over the years who thought they could out cast me with the same baits.i mean I don't know call it luck, but the bass pro guys sure didn't have much to say after our distance challenges and these guys know what their doing.awsome reels to have in arsenal just not my first choice when it comes to castings long distances.

Can you empty your spool on your spinning reel?:);)

Spinning reels made up a lot of ground when they went to longer(wider spools). When spools were deep and narrow it was no contest.

edit: there were a couple other major improvements in spinning reels in the last 10-15 years(maybe less-getting old) that have helped the spinning reel as well.

Mangosteen
07-23-2015, 06:49 AM
I really like my LEWS baitcasters and they have come a long way. Not sure who carries Lews but I ordered mind thru tackle warehouse when the dollar was more reasonable in winter. The BB1 and Speed Spool Lite are the ones I tried and blow the Shimano out the door.

EZM
07-23-2015, 10:21 AM

The reel is only one part of the equation - the rod flex, rod length, material used on the guides, weight of the lure and of course how you cast it determines the distance you will get.

The other thing is 95% of the guys that use baitcasters have the brakes set - to prevent backlash. This reduces the casting distance.

All things being equal a properly set up baitcaster in capable hands will cast further.

All the distance record in the long cast use bait casters. There is just too much drag on the line leaving the lip on a spinning reel. I know that's apples to oranges for most fisherman - so your comment is fair.

I still reach for the spinning reel most of the time ..... not sure why .... I just do. Both have a place in my rod locker.

KegRiver
07-23-2015, 10:35 AM

Can you ?

One thing I learned a long time ago. An old fishermans trick, when you might be asked to prove it, don't claim you can do it, ask if the other guy can do it.

Puts folks on the defensive so they will be too busy defending their abilities to ask about yours.

On the internet anyone can claim anything, it don't make it so.

I can claim to be able to cast 400 miles. Lets see you prove I can't.

See how that works.

Glenstr
07-23-2015, 10:37 AM
I tried the Browning baitcaster out I bought for my son a couple of weeks back - I wasn't getting the distance I can get with my Quantum spinning setup but I was being pretty conservative & had the anti backlash set etc. as I've never used a baitcaster that small before. I get some pretty decent casts with my Quantum and I like using it because it has the drag on the back of the reel - but I feel with some fine tuning and once I get the feel of it I should be able to equal or exceed the distance I get with the spinning.

I still like the one hand control I get with the baitcaster, being able to slow the spool down mid cast and using my thumb as an extra brake when the fish runs.

KegRiver
07-23-2015, 10:44 AM
The reel is only one part of the equation - the rod flex, rod length, material used on the guides, weight of the lure and of course how you cast it determines the distance you will get.

The other thing is 95% of the guys that use baitcasters have the brakes set - to prevent backlash. This reduces the casting distance.

All things being equal a properly set up baitcaster in capable hands will cast further.

All the distance record in the long cast use bait casters. There is just too much drag on the line leaving the lip on a spinning reel. I know that's apples to oranges for most fisherman - so your comment is fair.

I still reach for the spinning reel most of the time ..... not sure why .... I just do. Both have a place in my rod locker.

That I can believe.

But I'll still stick with spin casters for casting because I find them easier to use and I don't need to impress anyone with my casting ability.

When the creek is only twenty yards across the other 230 yards isn't of much use.

Kurt505
07-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Can you ?

One thing I learned a long time ago. An old fishermans trick, when you might be asked to prove it, don't claim you can do it, ask if the other guy can do it.

Puts folks on the defensive so they will be too busy defending their abilities to ask about yours.

See how that works.

But what if you can?

I made what some thought were some pretty outrageous claims on an another forum one time and took a flaming for it, until I took a video of my claims and posted it. There was a shortage of crow for the amount that was served for dinner that day.

I hear what you're saying, and there are some things a guy just has to see to believe.

alpineguy
07-23-2015, 11:16 AM
I use a Shimano Calais.........fantastic reel with almost no backlashing. I do have the brakes set up high but I wouldn't trade it for anything when casting medium to large sized lures. Also enjoy trolling with it but often opt for my Penn set up for that. I also only fish Northern Sask so I have a specific usage.

huntsfurfish
07-23-2015, 11:26 AM

i agree EZM

TripleTTT
07-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Also, don't forget to set brake and free wheel every time you change lure. Or you will be building a bird's home. Other then being more of a technical setup than a spin reel, once you master them they are quite enjoyable.
Great for casting light lures and even better for heavy ones. :)

huntsfurfish
07-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Can you ?

See how that works.

Yes Keg, I can and have done it, but only with a baitcaster:). Spinning reel with old spools pretty much impossible, even modern spools would be highly unlikely(which was the point I was trying to make). You are welcome to a demo anytime you are down. Because unlike you I can prove it!

KegRiver
07-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Yes Keg, I can and have done it, but only with a baitcaster:). Spinning reel with old spools pretty much impossible, even modern spools would be highly unlikely(which was the point I was trying to make). You are welcome to a demo anytime you are down. Because unlike you I can prove it!

Of course you can, and I can too. On the net anyone can prove anything.

250 yards is a very long way. But of course I know that's not what you are claiming. You just want us to believe that's what you are saying.

So just how far can you cast with the rig. 100, 120 yards ? If you could manage that it would be remarkable.

Yes I did notice you avoided putting a figure to your claim. That too is an old old ploy.

You might be able to convince a few kids, but most folks know that talk is just talk.

Tell us in feet meters or yards and you might be believed. Try to snow us with none specific claims and you make yourself look the fool.

Yup, I can empty the spool on my spin caster, if I only put ten yards of line on it. 250 yards ? Even with a bow that would take some skill.

EZM
07-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Casting distance aside ..... the real advantage to me personally is precision. My bait caster will cast further (but then again I've had lots of practice with all 6 brakes in the off position).

The fact that you can chuck a lure and thumb the spool to have it land precisely where you want it to by either letting up on the spool (so it carries further) or applying a little pressure to the spool (to slow it down and have it drop short) is where I really enjoy my bait caster.

All the other things like being comfortable in your hand, having a very smooth drag, etc... are bonuses.

Bait Casters are about twice as much money compared to spinning reels - and I am 100% convinced a cheap bait caster (say $180 and under) isn't a good one. They just don't perform the same. Trust me - I've purchased a few before I settled on what I'm currently using. $200 buys you a decent mid range bait caster.

On the other hand you can get an excellent mid to higher end spinning reel for $150.

It really is apples to oranges if you are talking dollar for dollar. Having said all this good stuff about the bait casters - if I only had $ 150 to spend on a reel - it would be a spinning reel 10/10 times.

Glenstr
07-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Bait Casters are about twice as much money compared to spinning reels - and I am 100% convinced a cheap bait caster (say $180 and under) isn't a good one. They just don't perform the same. Trust me - I've purchased a few before I settled on what I'm currently using. $200 buys you a decent mid range bait caster.

On the other hand you can get an excellent mid to higher end spinning reel for $150.

It really is apples to oranges if you are talking dollar for dollar. Having said all this good stuff about the bait casters - if I only had $ 150 to spend on a reel - it would be a spinning reel 10/10 times.

Interesting - I found the Browning I tried pretty comparable to my AB-Ambassadeur as far as casting & retrieval went. The Browning listed for about $150 I think at Bass Pro & I think I paid about $150 for my Abu-Garcia 6600, but that was 30+ years ago too.

My son in law just picked up this reel (http://www.amazon.ca/Abu-Garcia-Baitcast-12-Pound-145-Yard/dp/B005GOU5SW/ref=pd_sim_200_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=12XP9TJ4RSJ2VZVTMAEB) too, said he's not used to the casting yet but really likes it compared to his spinning reel - and it's a <$150 reel..

I may just have to try one of the more expensive ones and check them out though..

KegRiver
07-23-2015, 01:50 PM

Well now it all starts to make sense.

I don't believe cost has been mentioned till now. For what I fish that would be a major downside.

That could well be the difference. I've fished for years with the same reel and it has always done everything I needed it to do. But there are no Salmon here and what is here can be caught without mortgaging the house.

I still don't buy that anyone can cast 250 yards with any fishing setup. But greater distance and precision could well be available for a higher price.

If that's what one needs maybe a bait caster would be a good investment.
For me and I suspect for most Alberta waters it would not be a wise choice.

I have fished all over Alberta and in a number of places in the Northwest Territories as well as in the Pacific ocean. I have yet to find a place where my old Zebco would not do the job within it's size capabilities.

Obviously I'm not about to try to pull a 200lb Halibut out of 500 feet of water or wrestle a 30 lb Salmon across the lower Skeena with a cheap freshwater reel. But for the Pike and Walleye I fish, it is more then enough.

Why spend money I don't need to spend.

Edit; I use a $40.00 Zebco.

marty1
07-23-2015, 02:46 PM

Spinning reels made up a lot of ground when they went to longer(wider spools). When spools were deep and narrow it was no contest.

edit: there were a couple other major improvements in spinning reels in the last 10-15 years(maybe less-getting old) that have helped the spinning reel as well.

With some baits on a size 2000 spooled up with fresh line I'll cast and see the spool at the btm,but your right they have designed spinning reel (spools)to be much more effective at casting for long distance.

Kurt505
07-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Look up longest cast competition on YouTube, if anyone can find a competitor using a spinning reel please post a link, otherwise I think it's safe to say that there is no way a spinning reel can out cast a baitcast reel given both users are experienced in using their equipment.

Winch101
07-23-2015, 05:52 PM
A guy from the UK who I took on his first and only
Ice fishing trip ......left me a magasine on shore fishing in the
UK ....seashore .....They talk about casting a hundred meters
With large Baitcasting reels and 14 ft rods .....if spinning
Was better they would use them but all Baitcasters ....
I know 300 ft .....when I go there .....I will go surf casting
And check it out ....

New world casting record with Baitcaster 281 meters

http://www.planetseafishing.com/video/watch/watch-new-world-casting-record

I could cast across Travers

elkivory
07-23-2015, 05:56 PM
For my Skeena River Salmon fishing trips, I love my Penn 320 LD. It's just sexy and stops them beautiful Chinook Salmon in their tracks! :)

drivinman22
07-23-2015, 06:50 PM

:thinking-006::snapoutofit:

huntsfurfish
07-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Of course you can, and I can too. On the net anyone can prove anything.

250 yards is a very long way. But of course I know that's not what you are claiming. You just want us to believe that's what you are saying.

So just how far can you cast with the rig. 100, 120 yards ? If you could manage that it would be remarkable.

Yes I did notice you avoided putting a figure to your claim. That too is an old old ploy.

You might be able to convince a few kids, but most folks know that talk is just talk.

Tell us in feet meters or yards and you might be believed. Try to snow us with none specific claims and you make yourself look the fool.

Yup, I can empty the spool on my spin caster, if I only put ten yards of line on it. 250 yards ? Even with a bow that would take some skill.

Now thats b but a bc could do it.

Get over it:sHa_sarcasticlol:
You are the one reading all kinds of stuff into it.lol

Did I mention 250 yds? I must of missed where I said that!
?????
I am prepared to show you, you called me out on it. Balls in your court!
This is about distance casting. Put a 1/2 filled spool on a spinning reel and see how it casts then do the same with a BC!
spinning reel wont cast that small amount of loaded line worth a darn but would be no problem for a BC.
It you look back in this thread you will see that I mentioned problem with lack of spool capacity in inexpensive(cheap) versions.
With a heavier line you can cast them out of line! Hell even you could!

No where did I claim to cast to the moon.:sign0176:

And the reference with casting a spinning reel out of line is the point that only a baitcaster is even capable of it. If I remember correctly a smile and wink were included in that sentence.

So yes I can do it. You called me out, you want to see it then come on down and I will demonstrate just for lil ol you.:)

KegRiver
07-24-2015, 10:33 AM
No where did I claim to cast to the moon.:sign0176:

Nore did I say you claimed to be able to. In fact I specifically noted that you deliberately avoided quantifying your claims. Well now you have, so you can empty a half filled spool, good for you.

Bottom line, others have clarified the pros and cons.

I have no doubt a bait-caster can outcast a spin-caster in the right hands.

I already knew that they offered better precision then most spin casters.

And I know that they offer more power and greater line capacity.

But they also cost more, typically a lot more. And it seems that for most people they take more time to master. For many, a lot more time.

And just so you know, I wouldn't have bothered to reply, however it was a perfect opportunity to summarize the pros and cons as I understand them.

And just so you know, reread post 35 and maybe, just maybe you'll understand why I called you out.

huntsfurfish
07-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Nore did I say you claimed to be able to. In fact I specifically noted that you deliberately avoided quantifying your claims. Well now you have, so you can empty a half filled spool, good for you.

Bottom line, others have clarified the pros and cons.

I have no doubt a bait-caster can outcast a spin-caster in the right hands.

I already knew that they offered better precision then most spin casters.

And I know that they offer more power and greater line capacity.

But they also cost more, typically a lot more. And it seems that for most people they take more time to master. For many, a lot more time.

And just so you know, I wouldn't have bothered to reply, however it was a perfect opportunity to summarize the pros and cons as I understand them.

And just so you know, reread post 35 and maybe, just maybe you'll understand why I called you out.

slow clap. But guess you missed the wink thing.;)
Marty1 did not seem to have an issue. Just you.

But here you go.
Finally dug out the old river reel. It was/is an older abu garcia 501 with 20 lb. ande line(cost about $50.00 new). Spool is full, not half filled:). Can be emptied on a cast. And I bet that many here could do the same, including you. As I said you are welcome to see first hand! I am a little rusty but am confident I can still do it.

Bottom line is that can not be done by a spinning reel. At least not yet that I am aware of.

edit 12:37: Sorry if I put anybody out with my ridiculous claim. Lol:);)

Mangosteen
09-18-2015, 09:23 AM
What is the perfect length of rod and action for proper bait casters. I have been using the Lews bait casters with a six foot nine inch fast action St Croix Tournament style rod. How much more difference would each six inches of rod add to the throw distance? Or negligible. The six ft nine inch rods seem handy but am I compromising cast distance?

cube
09-18-2015, 10:14 AM
What is the perfect length of rod and action for proper bait casters. I have been using the Lews bait casters with a six foot nine inch fast action St Croix Tournament style rod. How much more difference would each six inches of rod add to the throw distance? Or negligible. The six ft nine inch rods seem handy but am I compromising cast distance?

It depends more on what you are casting. eg a bigger heaver longer racquet will not make a badminton birdy go any further but it sure will a tennis ball. Hence the lure weight, density, and wind resistance will have a huge effect on this question.

If casting far is what you want look at surf casting rods.

Not sure if that helped but it was free :)

EZM
09-18-2015, 10:19 AM

That's a tough question to answers as every rod will be different based on where the flex point (action) is and how the blank weight (referred to as "power") works with what you are casting (the weight of the lure itself).

*** Action is also measured by the speed and force (in energy and velocity) of the return after releasing from a loaded position. But typically the faster the action the closer to the tip the flex/return point.

***** Power relates to the maximum blank loading and capacity over the entire length when parabolically (fully) loaded.

Generally, I think most people would agree, all things being equal, a longer rod will cast further.

A 6'-9" should be fine. Going to a 7'-6" (same power and action) should give you further casting ability, but the difference may be hard to discern. I'm guessing maybe 10-20 feet. Given the fact you might be able to bomb out a lure with the 6'-9" same rod, say, 120-140 feet - another 10-20 feet may not accomplish much more for you.

If you go all the way up to a 9' rod (and compare that to your 6'-9") then for sure you will notice the difference - maybe 40-45 feet further (again an educated guess here) - but it really depends on what you are doing.

If I am shore fishing a river - I have a 9'-6" St. Croix Wild River I use - It casts a ridiculous amount of line off the spool - but that rod doesn't get used in the boat too often - just too long and cumbersome. That rod is Medium Heavy Power and Fast Action If I recall correctly. Seems to be perfect for chucking heavier bait set ups in the river. As a guesstimate - thinking about a soccer field - that set up would cast close to the length of that field ( Soccer fields are usually about 300 feet long) so, say 250 feet maybe??? That's a long way out there.

Mangosteen
09-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks kindly for the feedback. I think I will then stay with future rods being six ft nine as they seem quite handy and no overly difficult to store on top of the deck when running.

Dysfunctional Bubble
09-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Like a lot of older guys I grew up fishing with a closed reel. Then when I started fishing BC rivers for Salmon and Steelhead I was told a good baitcaster is the way to go. I went to a couple of Ambassedor baitcasters, but even with experiance I found the cast distance lacking and still got the odd rats nest. Also had some problems with baitcaster reels while fishing in very cold temps. Once I found out you could switch the open face reel handle for a right hand retrieve I started using them and would never go back. Good casting distance, never a snarl, good drag system and easy to switch spools.
Lately some die hard fishermen I have talked with have told me about the great baitcasters there using, or planning to buy.
Is there any aspect in a baitcasters performance or fishing application where it would be preferable to a spinning reel?

I don't think so. They're nuth'n but trouble. I bought into the bait-caster hype a few years ago. It was horrible. Eventually i threw the nasty thing into the river, and never went back. It' didn't mater how experienced i got with it, it would always rats nest at the worst possible time. I bought up a bunch of antique closed face spinners, and i've never gone back to anything els. Closed faced spinners are def the way to go for light lake or river fishing. The only problem, tho, is that they are made real cheap nowadays. That's why i use ones from the 70's and the 80's.

Mangosteen
09-18-2015, 10:40 PM
You should try a LEWS reel in bait caster. Really happy with mine. You have to learn the technique and after that you will never go back.

AlbertaClipper403
09-19-2015, 01:32 AM
Bait casters are a complete waste of money and a hoax their performance is better than a good spin real. Remember back in the 80's when everyone thought it was better to eat jelly instead of jam? Well, bait casters are the same. Complete hoax and marketing by the companies that made them. Stick to your spin reel. It will cast further, never get snarled up, and give you way more sensitivity and feel for the pole and line than hanging onto a bait caster with 3 fingers versus a full hand grip on spin reel setup.

Winch101
09-19-2015, 06:43 AM
Thank goodness Fact is not based on one mans ability or lack there of .

Proper application . Where strength is concerned , spinning reels are poor

Tools . Most people use a hammer for everything . It's the tool of choice

For the worlds Rubes.

In the famous poem The Desiderata, a line says even the dull & ignorant

Have a story to tell ......so carry on ,on this subject .

Some where I posted, all the the Worlds casting distance records

Are held by Baitcasters ....

Here's a tip find out what the top 3 Bass Anglers on the circuit are
Using and buy one of those because there is a lot of cheap crap
Out there .
The laws of physics are why Baitcasters make better casters .

Mangosteen
09-19-2015, 08:05 AM
The problem with spinning reels is they wind line at a ninety degree angle to the line travel. Plus the guides on the spinning reel are so huge they do not take a rod sock well or fit into the tubes of the lockers in the tournament boats very well.

Mackinaw
09-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Bait casters are a complete waste of money and a hoax their performance is better than a good spin real. Remember back in the 80's when everyone thought it was better to eat jelly instead of jam? Well, bait casters are the same. Complete hoax and marketing by the companies that made them. Stick to your spin reel. It will cast further, never get snarled up, and give you way more sensitivity and feel for the pole and line than hanging onto a bait caster with 3 fingers versus a full hand grip on spin reel setup.

I'm sure if you ever took the time to really learn to use a fishing reel you would change your mind a lot of times the reason people dislike something is because they can't use it or understand it...line and design of the rod has more to do with the sensitivity then the reel ever will.

Mack

AlbertaClipper403
09-19-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm sure if you ever took the time to really learn to use a fishing reel you would change your mind

Mack

I used nothing but a bait casting reels for a few years bass fishing in tournaments.
Will never go back. Will never change my mind.
It's all hype and marketing.
No advantage to bait casters.
Only disadvantages in that the grip to the rod is different.
3 fingers instead of a full grip.
You can't get the same feel and sensitivity using a bait caster as you can in a spinning set-up.
Come into the light. It's safe in the light.

Mackinaw
09-19-2015, 11:17 PM
I used nothing but a bait casting reels for a few years bass fishing in tournaments.
You can't get the same feel and sensitivity using a bait caster as you can in a spinning set-up.

Like I said learn to use it RIGHT...it will make all the difference

Mack

FlyTheory
09-20-2015, 05:43 AM
I think baitcasting reels are great, it'd be cool if they made a high-quality mini baitcaster for panfish. But I've been out of the gear game for a while so they may have one now... But not the BPS crappie baitcaster.. :scared0018:

drivinman22
09-20-2015, 06:02 AM

:snapoutofit:

Mangosteen
09-20-2015, 07:12 AM
For smaller fish and more dainty applications there are what is called finesse reels such as the Shimano Core 50. A bit lighter. I believe the guys suffering the bait casting confidence are trying with unfair expectations perhaps as mentioned using reels that are out of date with the latest technology or playing with budget minded set ups that are not engineered to the standard needed. As was smartly mentioned just google what the tournament pros are using and give it a whirl. I have three LEWS reels and very pleased with the quality given the reasonable price. Order from Tackle Warehouse.

huntsfurfish
09-20-2015, 02:33 PM
While it never hurts to have a mid to high end reel. Low end reels cast well too.
Just have to know how to cast/use them.:)

huntsfurfish
09-20-2015, 02:41 PM

Some people can catch fish some cant.:)

And some can cast and some cant.:) I know what category you belong in.:)

KegRiver
09-20-2015, 05:27 PM
What does it matter, if it works for me why would you care what I use?

I don't like bait casters and never will. Spin cast works for me, I catch all the fish I want so I use what I like.

I don't need a rifle or a fishing reel to prove that I have worth. If others need that, it's nothing to me.

Pycnotic
09-20-2015, 10:15 PM
I grew up fly fishing only and had never used a bait caster or spinning rod until last year (moved to Alberta from BC) i first bought a spinner and didn't like the lack of control on the line, and after lots of research and reading, decided to buy a bait caster. I took the advise of many here about spending the extra money and buying a quality setup, I can verify that it absolutely makes a difference. I now only reach for the bc rod when I go fishing, I Own two now and my very expensive spinning rod has not touched water all year (the better half reminds me of this every time we go fishing):argue2: I was a complete noob to bc reels and it really took only 2 or 3 trips before I started to really get proficient in using it, I now have zero brake set and have not had a birds nest yet. How I got good at it was I sat there in the winter while watching hockey games and let the lure fall to the floor and trained my thumb on how to control the line. If I ever go back to BC I will still use the bait caster, maybe even more then my fly rod:bad_boys_20:

Mackinaw
09-20-2015, 11:15 PM

I don't like bait casters and never will. Spin cast works for me, I catch all the fish I want so I use what I like.

I don't need a rifle or a fishing reel to prove that I have worth. If others need that, it's nothing to me.

I don't understand where you are getting that anyone is saying their worth is measured by their fishing reel..... I think the question was if the allure of the bait caster was worth the effort.

Mack

AlbertaClipper403
09-21-2015, 09:45 AM

Exactly.
I'd bet if you and I went fishing with our spin reels against a dozen of these baitcaster pet rock, marketing hype, sponge heads, we'd show them how it's done. Baitcasters are for fools who'd buy the last oceanfront Alberta vacation property.

Winch101
09-21-2015, 09:55 AM
The dexterity to operate a bait cast reel than just man up .

It's not a big deal , you got other things going on .

Like you are currently the number1 Troll on here .

And though short lived it is a big deal .

Your likely the current ignore list favourite .

Remember ,it's better that people think your a fool

Than opening your mouth and leaving no doubt .....

I'm always glad to help .

drivinman22
09-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Exactly.
I'd bet if you and I went fishing with our spin reels against a dozen of these baitcaster pet rock, marketing hype, sponge heads, we'd show them how it's done. Baitcasters are for fools who'd buy the last oceanfront Alberta vacation property.

You sir, are nuts.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/sHa_shakeshout.gif

jednastka
09-21-2015, 02:35 PM
My dad taught me how to use a baitcaster in the 60s. I got my first Ambassadeur is 1982. I now own three, and have converted my brothers to them for specific applications.

The only reel to use for 20lb line or higher. No line twist. Easiest for trolling and downrigging.

Casting with them is like flyfishing. You could not make a 4 wt rod with a reel designed for 10 weight line and use 7 weight line and make it work satisfactorily. Same thing with baitcasters.

As well, baitcasters require regular cleaning and maintenance. Don't do it, and they will pack it up.

When we go for large Northern Pike (40"+, 20-30 pounds) we ONLY use Ambassadeur baitcasters with 15 pound test or better on 6.5-7 foot single piece rods with a medium-heavy to heavy action. As a result, we have not lost fish, broken rods, or had reels fail.

Vic

Mackinaw
09-22-2015, 08:19 AM
Exactly.

It is always funny how someone that can not understand or master something always resorts to name calling those that can. But that is ok you continue to fish your way I will continue to CATCH my way.

Mack

AlbertaClipper403
09-22-2015, 08:42 AM
It is always funny how someone that can not understand or master something always resorts to name calling those that can. But that is ok you continue to fish your way I will continue to CATCH my way.

Mack

I'm happy for you. Roses and chocolate for Valentines to you.

Mackinaw
09-22-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm happy for you. Roses and chocolate for Valentines to you.

Dang gum it.....I probably won't get my roses and chocolates now. :)
Mack

vetterm39
10-02-2015, 09:00 AM
great for bottom bouncing especially in rod holder

fishnfoo
10-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Good discussion for the most part.

I use both. BCs with a line counter are great for trolling and bottom bouncing. I like them for ice fishing large fish too. I have a BPS pro Qualifier that is really good (casts a mile and really hard to backlash) and you can get it for about $100. The low profile BCs are great for casting cranks, spinners and large plastics. I still like spinning reels for jigging and casting small lures in rivers.

I don't think I would use spinning gear for any trolling applications any more. For casting it is a matter of the type of gear you own, experience and personal taste.

Any day fishing is a good one!

Pike4Dayzz
10-16-2016, 07:57 AM
I saw some guys using baitcasters at whitemud, they couldn't get a hook a foot off shore!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

fishnfoo
10-16-2016, 08:45 AM
I saw some guys using baitcasters at whitemud, they couldn't get a hook a foot off shore!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

So I guess baitcasters must be crap. How could I have been so wrong? Your keen mind and machine like reasoning skills are unassailable. All of the posters on here saying they used them effectively and all the successful bass tournament and walleyes tournament anglers who use them are just part of a grand conspiracy or just plain deluded. I know if I was a tournament angler and my paycheck depended on my effectiveness on the water I would use substandard equipment. I just can't figure out how the tournament organizers have rigged the tournaments to make the anglers using baitcasters win. It must involve the illuminati.

Is the above the more likely scenario, or is it that baitcasters just are a little harder to master and some people give up on them?

I guess you think 9/11 was an inside job too.

EZM
10-16-2016, 11:54 AM

I saw an old grandma driving a Ferrarri only 60 km/hr on the Henday and passed her with my half ton doing 100 km/hr ...... so Ferrarri's suck .... they are slow .... my truck is way faster.

huntsfurfish
10-16-2016, 02:38 PM

You are starting to sound familiar.:)