PDA

View Full Version : Siebert Lake

Tromaniuk1990
07-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Just was wondering how the road in is, if we could get a 28foot trailer in, and how the boat launch is ? and of course if you've been this year how the fishing was!

thanks in advance =):character0053:

Rage.0
07-21-2015, 12:18 PM
I haven't been since the opener but I can guarantee with the rain we have been getting it will be rough and pounded out. It usually is but the rain doesn't help. The boat launch is fine, long and shallow though. And the fishing was good as usual. I only take my truck camper in to this lake, I couldn't imagine pulling a 30' trailer down that road although it happens quite regularly these days, last year I saw a Coach Motorhome on my way in. He cleared basically every overhanging branch off the trees, lol. I could see the huge scratches across the front of the motorhome from the jackpines as I let him pass. The road is very narrow and twisty turny so use caution and be prepared to pull into the bush a little to squeeze by oncoming traffic. Bug Spray, Citronella, and a Thermacell will definitely be a "must have" this time of year. Even a screen tent to keep the horsefly's off of you wouldn't be a bad idea.

snowman160
07-21-2015, 05:07 PM
Last time I pulled my 26' trailer in the trail was so uneven the trailer was rockin back an forth so bad I pinched a wire someplace an it shorted out an drained my batteries.had to hook up to the truck for the weekend lol.rough very slow drive in with a Big trailer I'll never so it again.good fishin though when ya get on the walleye though lol

schmedlap
07-21-2015, 08:06 PM
they had not "improved" the road, 10-15 or so years back. Used to be that if it was wet, at all, one really needed 4 wheel drive to get through some of the better mudholes (there were several, but one in particular I remember was close to impassable), and there was no way to take a big trailer in there. It was sketchy to even get a heavy boat on a good trailer in, as it had to be taken very slow in many places in order not to bounce it off the road or wreck or hang up the axles on the trailer.

I once bounced a rather light trailer with a basic 14' small boat into a roadside stump, on the way out (about 27 years ago?), and ended up having to take it all apart, turn over the trailer, and dismantle the spring set up and hammer it all back into place with basic tools and an axe, in the middle of the "road".

On that same trip, in the late fall, we met some guys who had driven all night from Minnesota, and were going to drive all night on their way home, to get back for work on their next shift, just for 2-3 days fishing in a place where they could actually catch a lot of very large pike. They were on their 4th annual fall pilgrimage to the place. Just a 4x4 pickup, 14' light boat and a 9.9 on a carrier, and tents. Man, were they focussed and fishing hard! And they took some pictures of the big mommas (quite a few) they caught, and let them all go. We enjoyed a walleye fry with them. Thinking that Minnesota is a pretty good place, with lots of opportunities for good fishing (?), I was more appreciative of just what we had.

I hate seeing the motorhomes and large trailers be able to get there at all, frankly. It is still a very beautiful and good fishing destination, but it ain't what it used to be, particularly on the aspect of chasing really large pike. The really big mommas are largely gone, due to allowing ignorant people to kill the "over 100 cm" catches. Thankfully, I have pictures of my own kids with just such catches from there, before we released them. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me, as they are not good eating, and it is ridiculously easy to catch one's over 50cm walleye limit for dinner. Largely turned into a walleye lake by stupid management practices (?).

Luckily (?) it is still a little sketchy to tow a large trailer in there when it is wet. Selfishly, I highly recommend against trying.

And please, if you do go there, and you do catch one of those big girls, take a picture and let it go.

Tromaniuk1990
07-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Does anyone have updates on the road within the last two years?

pikeslayer22
07-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Talked to a warden at Pinehurst a couple of weekends ago and he said road was great

Tromaniuk1990
07-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Talked to a warden at Pinehurst a couple of weekends ago and he said road was great

thank you so much! appreciate it :)

Houcheimi
07-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Just got back from there a few hours ago, roads were not an issue at all, obviously the few holes and puddles here and there but nothing too extreme that would prevent you from taking your trailer, seen a few guys pulling theres today as well.

Fishing wise, we were limited to the shore today and caught nothing, and we did see another couple that was on a boat and I don't believe they caught anything either. No problem with the boat launch though as we seen several take off on their boats.

But weather was great, and apparently there is a bear warning.

Morbius131
07-21-2015, 10:09 PM
I was in there July Long week and the road in was in good shape. I hauled a 24' trailer in. Take your time and you will be fine. Washboard in areas but not anywhere near as bad as it has been the last couple years. Likely because of how dry it has been. The fishing isn't what it once was as all the bigger boats getting back in there but still able to catch fish and a couple keepers.

Morb

Bushmonkey
07-21-2015, 10:55 PM
they had not "improved" the road, 10-15 or so years back. Used to be that if it was wet, at all, one really needed 4 wheel drive to get through some of the better mudholes (there were several, but one in particular I remember was close to impassable), and there was no way to take a big trailer in there. It was sketchy to even get a heavy boat on a good trailer in, as it had to be taken very slow in many places in order not to bounce it off the road or wreck or hang up the axles on the trailer.

I once bounced a rather light trailer with a basic 14' small boat into a roadside stump, on the way out (about 27 years ago?), and ended up having to take it all apart, turn over the trailer, and dismantle the spring set up and hammer it all back into place with basic tools and an axe, in the middle of the "road".

On that same trip, in the late fall, we met some guys who had driven all night from Minnesota, and were going to drive all night on their way home, to get back for work on their next shift, just for 2-3 days fishing in a place where they could actually catch a lot of very large pike. They were on their 4th annual fall pilgrimage to the place. Just a 4x4 pickup, 14' light boat and a 9.9 on a carrier, and tents. Man, were they focussed and fishing hard! And they took some pictures of the big mommas (quite a few) they caught, and let them all go. We enjoyed a walleye fry with them. Thinking that Minnesota is a pretty good place, with lots of opportunities for good fishing (?), I was more appreciative of just what we had.

I hate seeing the motorhomes and large trailers be able to get there at all, frankly. It is still a very beautiful and good fishing destination, but it ain't what it used to be, particularly on the aspect of chasing really large pike. The really big mommas are largely gone, due to allowing ignorant people to kill the "over 100 cm" catches. Thankfully, I have pictures of my own kids with just such catches from there, before we released them. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me, as they are not good eating, and it is ridiculously easy to catch one's over 50cm walleye limit for dinner. Largely turned into a walleye lake by stupid management practices (?).

Luckily (?) it is still a little sketchy to tow a large trailer in there when it is wet. Selfishly, I highly recommend against trying.

And please, if you do go there, and you do catch one of those big girls, take a picture and let it go.

our provincial government needs to get it through their heads that
-every lake doesn't need to be a walleye lake
-we have potenial to have world class pike fishing (with lots of potenial lakes to produce records)
-every lake should NOT be easily accessable
-and lastly, their policies of letting people keep the big fish are absolutely stupid. The big fish are ALWAYS females. It would be like making it a law that you could only shoot does and cows and thinking the population wouldn't crash.

Tromaniuk1990
07-22-2015, 10:41 AM
our provincial government needs to get it through their heads that
-every lake doesn't need to be a walleye lake
-we have potenial to have world class pike fishing (with lots of potenial lakes to produce records)
-every lake should NOT be easily accessable
-and lastly, their policies of letting people keep the big fish are absolutely stupid. The big fish are ALWAYS females. It would be like making it a law that you could only shoot does and cows and thinking the population wouldn't crash.

amen to that

Tromaniuk1990
07-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Just got back from there a few hours ago, roads were not an issue at all, obviously the few holes and puddles here and there but nothing too extreme that would prevent you from taking your trailer, seen a few guys pulling theres today as well.

Fishing wise, we were limited to the shore today and caught nothing, and we did see another couple that was on a boat and I don't believe they caught anything either. No problem with the boat launch though as we seen several take off on their boats.

But weather was great, and apparently there is a bear warning.

thanks for the info!!:)