PDA

View Full Version : Catch and Release Barotrauma in fish

Red Bullets
07-22-2015, 10:32 AM
I was readng the latest edition of the Western Canadian Game warden and it had an article on barotrauma on fish when brought up from the depths.

This tool helps fish recover when their swim bladder and eyes pop out from coming up from the depths. For anglers fishing more than 30 feet deep this is a tool to consider for catch and release fishing.

http://www.ecoleeser.com/

Jamie Black R/T
07-22-2015, 10:39 AM
doesn't it make more sense to just fish shallower water when C&R fishing?

Red Bullets
07-22-2015, 10:41 AM
doesn't it make more sense to just fish shallower water when C&R fishing?

It does make more sense but there are fisherman that do fish deeper and do release fish.

nekred
07-22-2015, 11:08 AM
great tool,

different fish have different ways they use their swim bladder, some are and open system direct and the "gulp air" or release air through their mouth

others are a completely closed system where they use gases generated by blood in a complex regulation system. and thus takes time to adjust and because it is closed they cannot just burp air out.

Then there are fish who have a mix, they use blood gases but it is an open system where they can release pent up expanding gases through the mouth as well.

nekred
07-22-2015, 11:08 AM
when catching black drum in Texas we had to vent the fish to be able to release them

-JR-
07-23-2015, 05:52 PM
I know lakers will follow my hook up from 200ft down to the top of my ice fishing hole then swim around the hole with out eyes popping out .