PDA

View Full Version : cardif pond

gonefishn
01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone knows much about this cardif pond out by morinville. I was thinking of taking the kids out for the afternoon today, is it worth going?? is it safe to drive on the ice there?? thanks.

allenford
01-18-2009, 01:01 PM
very small pond, just walk on.

gonefishn
01-18-2009, 01:39 PM
thanks for the info? not expecting any monsters out of there just a good day of family fishing

travisj
01-18-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm a little late, but don't bother with Cardiff during the winter. During the summer is great for catching small rainbows but the winter is rather slow.
My opinion is based off of last year's experience out there. I fished there three full days, drilled LOTS of holes to test different depths and locations, and used practically every kind of bait and lure possible! Two of those days were with groups of people so we covered a lot of ground. I caught one perch and had one bite over three days!!
Hit up the Morinville Reservoir instead (Heritage Lake). If you bring light enough tackle you will catch a million small perch and you stand a chance at catching a rainbow. I'm sure your kids will have a blast catching the perch.

Grizzly
01-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Ive been successfull in the winter months. In fact. my brother is on the lake at this exact moment.
You've got to do your homework and fish the lake hard. there are only 2 places on the lake that i have been successfull at but its a secret...
the best depth to fish is 8ft.

good luck!

Grizzly
01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Just to let everyone know. My brother was out today, said the ice is very unstable. some holes were ft thick and others 3''. There is OPEN WATER behind the island close to shore. BE CAREFUL.

There is alot of overflow under the snow aswell. So if your going out, be safe.

gonefishn
01-20-2009, 05:39 PM
I have actually caught smaller trout and perch there in the summer time. we usually fished on the south side, where you go down the gravel road by the soccer field then if you go around the bend there's a good spot there kind of where it goes narrow and a little island. Never got skunked at that spot. I don't think the fish at Cardiff survive the winter. Going to go out to Carson this weekend, try out this frabill tent i bought.