PDA

View Full Version : Hasse Lake

brian_edm
01-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Just got home from Hasse, can't believe how many trucks were out! I found fishing fairly slow, catching only a couple really small perch and 1 small rainbow. I was wondering if anyone has pulled any nice size fish out of there? Just seems like a nice little lake close to home.

happy perch fisher
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM
it was a nice lake 4 years ago with no one on it and tons of big perch. But then one jack***** posted on here and told everyone and took about month for it to be fished out. Lol it so funny so many people go out there for 4inchperch and some small mud trout.

sako1
01-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Boy that one guy that posted info on here sure ruined it for the rest of us.....lol

brian_edm
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Well that is a shame. It's nice and close to home. Guess I gotta find another lake lol

allroundhunter
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.doschguides.com/album/2006-07/dosch-3.jpg

Brady
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
it was a nice lake 4 years ago with no one on it and tons of big perch. But then one jack***** posted on here and told everyone and took about month for it to be fished out. Lol it so funny so many people go out there for 4inchperch and some small mud trout.

Happy Perch Fisher, may I suggest you get your head out of the sand! This board is for the sharing of information, which in your opinion, was done, and you think that alone lead to the demise of your fishing hole. Cmon, give us a break.

happy perch fisher
01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
It was the main reason why it happened. One guy went out there as i remeber went out there said he caught a perch that was 15 inches the picture looked more like 12 but anyhow. Then he posted saying he caught his limit of 12inch perch in like 2hours. Then a couple guys went out there did the same thing. Then someone went around and told everyone at fishing hole which they told everyone about it. So instead of the 5 truck on it now there was 30 a day. The lake lasted about 1.5months before everything of size was gone. Now this year theres upwards of 80+ on it. I will try and look for that post if u guys did'nt bielve me if its still there.

Brady
01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Then someone went around and told everyone at fishing hole which they told everyone about it.

And you know this how? Weak, very weak.

rem338win
01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
.......and every year I used to shoot a 170+ whitetail buck, until that stupid Alberta Outdoorsmen forums started telling every one that there were good whitetails in Alberta, and then some guy told some fella at Cabelas and then people started outfitting in Alberta and then all I could shoot were forkhorns because of those jerks at that stupid Outdoorsmen forums, and.......:rolleyes::lol:

Hey did you know that there are great pig pike in Badger Lake, and if you stick a smelt on a hook and put it through the ice, you may catch a great big one, oh golly gumdrops, did I just ruin that lake:scared:

Sundancefisher
01-19-2009, 09:51 PM
.......and every year I used to shoot a 170+ whitetail buck, until that stupid Alberta Outdoorsmen forums started telling every one that there were good whitetails in Alberta, and then some guy told some fella at Cabelas and then people started outfitting in Alberta and then all I could shoot were forkhorns because of those jerks at that stupid Outdoorsmen forums, and.......:rolleyes::lol:

Hey did you know that there are great pig pike in Badger Lake, and if you stick a smelt on a hook and put it through the ice, you may catch a great big one, oh golly gumdrops, did I just ruin that lake:scared:

Illegal stocking of perch ruined the lake and the perch stunted which is what happened.

Here is a good article sums a lot up...

http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/fishingalberta/pdf/PositionPaper_Perch_introduction_djp_Sept24.pdf

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them. I have done a lot of research on my own regarding introduced perch. HPF does not know what he is talking about.

Cheers

Sun

happy perch fisher
01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
sundance have u fished hassie lake before and after. i know for a fact u have'nt. I've known about it for past 7 years. There was no way the perch where stunting out of there was lots of 10-12 inchers and alot in 8-10 range. Lol just because u know what happened to one lake that was private and very few people fished it. Does'nt mean it happened to every other lake. There was no way those perch where stunted. I didn't think it ruined hassie lake. Before hassie was known for small mud trout. It is now known for small catchable perch and small mud trout. You think everything stunts while it just does'nt happen like that. There is probably less perch in hassie now then there was 2years ago. If you harvest all the big perch and only the little ones remain. It may seem stunted to people that have only read info in books and has only experince in a lake that had totally different scenry unfold on it. I bet i would still be catching huge perch out of hassie if someone would'nt of posted. Sure a lake might stunt but it takes along time for that 2 happen. Theres no way a lake could stunt in a couple months. Like u are saying. Any idiot could tell u a lake is stunted just because there thousands of small perch. But it takes a little brains to consider the fact that the lake was great for big perch a few months before. But a couple months later the big perch are all gone and the lake magically becomes stunted. Maybe its the fact that everyone is keeping every perch over 6 inches. But that can't be possible they must of just randomly all stunted in a couple months. They must of depelted all there food and everything else in 2 months and all magically all all the big ones must of died of old age. Because sundance thinks perch only live for a couple of years. The fact is throw perch live more then 10+ years on average if they did'nt fall prey to predators. But perch are known to grow slower and live alot longer in colder climates. So i did'nt think those big perch just randomly died just like u think the ones in sundance are all going to die in the next year or so. Just because u have a little fishing experince in one lake does'nt mean u know it all. Maybe its you that does'nt know anything about a lake and u just assume its stunted because u read in a book a lake can stunt.

brady that info was second hand from this fourm. I remeber couple people posting something like you could'nt turn a corner in the fishing hole without hearing someone talking about hassie lake. I just put it together like that. I probably didn't need to add it just thought i would because this was another big factor in it getting wrecked so fast.

The Fish King
01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Well im going to have to say that those perch are stunted. Whenever you can go out to a lake and see 50 2 inch perch down your hole that is a clear case of overpopulation by an introduced species. When perch are first introduced they grow massive because they have little or no competition for food, however, after a few years the perch just multiply at an alarming rate and suddenly the lake cannot support a million 13 inch fish. This phenomenon has been well documented and it can be seen happening right now to various lakes in the okanagan where people are introducing perch and bass into trout fisheries. The fishing is spectacular for a few years but it the long run it is very detrimental to the well being of the lakes ecosystem. To boot, perch have always been a classic case for stunting themselves, which is one of the reasons why they are so terrible for a native trout fishery. A few thousand small perch can eat an awful lot of food. O and its spelled Hasse by the way.

Morph1
01-20-2009, 08:04 AM
lol , I agree with HPF :lol:
Imagine there was a 50 trucks in one day now lets say each truck carry 2 fisherman, now they all limit out on their 12" perch taking home 15 each lol,
suddenly in the lake there is 1500 - 12" perch missing , that's just one day !!,
now x that by a week (5days) that's 7500 - 12 " perch now x 12 weeks that's 90,000 perch GONE !!!! for a lake size of Hasse that is slaughter.
Now Sundance ?? having in one year all the fairly size perch fished out leaving only the little perch lets say at 6" max would you say the lake has stunted or the large perch had been fished out and we need more time for the perch to grow to 12" length over again ...
You know I believe you have an educational background but very little practice hands on, I mean yes your theory seems true but comeon now 90,000 perch in just 3 months of ice fishing, not including summer season, spring or what ever, that is a big loss to a small lake like that.
and yeah the lake was great 4-5 years ago.... now you can catch perch for your home aquarium and enjoy it :lol:

and rem338win lol what a touch , you're just cracking me up bro !!!,
how can you compare a fricken white tail buck to a fricken fish hehe, sorry man but last time a caught my pech it did not have any hoofs or either could that gallop accross a field and hide in the woods, sorry man my perch remain in the water only :lol:

happy perch fisher
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Thought i point out 2 when everyone is keeping all the fish over 6inches there are way less spawners avaible to mutliply the numbers up. Also thought i point out something most of u did'nt know. Hassie was full of stickleback minnows. There where millions of them in there and they would rob your bait and swarm your hook by the hundreds. Now since the perch moved in there almost non existant now. The perch got rid of a worse pest then they are. So i think its still better to have a bunch of 5inch perch in there then a bunch of 1inch sticklebacks.

The Fisherman Guy
01-20-2009, 11:54 AM
HPF ----Alright fella, I have had enough of your griping. Knock it off, beat it, shoo! If your soul purpose here is to tell people off, and pick verbal battles - give your head a shake man! WE HEAR YA!!! You are unhappy! Keep your spots to yourself, and be a grumpy stick in the mud about everything. What happened to your feel good fishing days; happiness for those who are just getting into the sport??

If you have a bone to pick, take it up with those you see yourself breaking the laws and being unsportsmanlike, non-conservationists. Stop hiding behind your keyboard and do something constructive, not destructive if you want to make an impact. Your problems do not stem from this forum alone, they may barely attribute to it.

Your unmitigated ignorance is annoying and tarnishing what this board was meant to honour.

What is the real issue here? You wanna come at me for calling you out, fine I can take it.

italk2u
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Congrats HPF!!. You have unofficially become this forum's number one troller.
Folks, this guy has managed to rile you up on atleast 4 different threads in the past week...leave him alone and i guarantee he goes away.....quietly!!!!:)

The Fisherman Guy
01-20-2009, 01:08 PM
...leave him alone and i guarantee he goes away.....quietly!!!!:)

x2 good point. Here's hoping! I'll even pray to the dead perch gods. :tongue2:

spaded
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
the lightbulb just came on,

I know what keeps happy perch fisher up at night, and trolling the boards during the day!!!

our HAPPY PERCH FISHER just isnt happy anymore, everybody that uses these boards has ruined all of HIS great hidden perch lakes...so there is no more happy perch fishing, just a drive out to a slew with mudtrout and nothing but stunted 3" perch,

so he seeks revenge,

HPF, you should change your name to SAD PERCH FISHER, because deep down inside your just not a happy fisherman, your sad and we all know it...

were all just tired of it and dont care anymore,

Alberta Bigbore
01-20-2009, 02:07 PM
One of the #1 factors in Perch growth is water temperature. Lots more could be said about it but doesnt seem like people want to hear info on this thread anymore...

anyways, heres some pics of stunted perch;)

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeerch.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerch2.jpg

Wood1
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I think what HPF is missing here, is that since the closure of walleye, perch are the number one sought after species for table fair. Limited numbers of lakes in Alberta and many fishermen equals collaped native stocks. As for perch stocked in trout lakes, I think that Sundance has effectively described the stunting issue based on facts, and knowledge.

For HPF and others that think alike regarding "their" lakes that we have fished out because of word of mouth, this is what you need to do.

Purchase land. Research aquaculture and pond construction. Hire a contractor to build pond. Lobby the Gov't AG department to allow stocking of yellow perch.
Purchase female only pellet trained perch.
Manage fishery by angling and re-stocking.
Grow huge perch.
Stay home.

Morph1
01-20-2009, 03:54 PM
so he seeks revenge,

HPF, you should change your name to SAD PERCH FISHER, because deep down inside your just not a happy fisherman, your sad and we all know it...

lol dude , that's funny, I kind of dig his pain though,
hey HPF lots of people knew about the stickleback not just you lol,

Purchase land. Research aquaculture and pond construction. Hire a contractor to build pond. Lobby the Gov't AG department to allow stocking of yellow perch.
Grow huge perch.
Stay home.

lol . that would be awesome dude,
hopefully I could position my sofa close to the doors so I could cast right in the pond from the inside of my house, can you imagine on a hot sunny day sitting on the couch in air conditioned room sipping on a cold one , looking out one eye on the bubber and the other one on tv watching UFC lol,
can't beat that !! :lol:

We should do a Ice Fishing Perch Derby there all of us and fish out the rest of the dinkers
lets make a poll :evilgrin:

Hey BIGBORE !! , what lake is that ? Hasse ??? lol

happy perch fisher
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I think what HPF is missing here, is that since the closure of walleye, perch are the number one sought after species for table fair. Limited numbers of lakes in Alberta and many fishermen equals collaped native stocks. As for perch stocked in trout lakes, I think that Sundance has effectively described the stunting issue based on facts, and knowledge.

For HPF and others that think alike regarding "their" lakes that we have fished out because of word of mouth, this is what you need to do.

Grow huge perch.
Stay home.

Word of mouth takes time to destroy a lake. Posting on a message borad with over a 1000 members plus a couple thousands lurkers. Figure it out telling one person will slowly spread it out telling a couple thousand and u end up turning it into a gong show. The only real argument u guys have is that i want to keep all these lakes to myself. Fact is throw there is ussually a bunch of groups of people fishing these lakes. The lakes can sustain about 10-20 people on it a day. The lakes can't sustian the couple hundred people that find out about throw these message borads and they soon coplase. So its a no brainer to me and most people that know about the lake. Why would we go around telling everyone if its just going to be a gong show on the lake. Why sould i have to find a new lake every year just because some guy post it on a message borad and the 2 months later it turns into another hassie. I use to fish gull lake crazy but over the last 5 years that lake is turning into a gong show. No matter where u go people will just drive right beside you park 20 feet away and start drilling 40 holes all around you. Then get borad pull off the sled and start driving it around u for the rest of the day. Coal is offically the worst lake around the city for just that reason. No one shows people fishing there any respect they drive 2 feet from you even throw the other side of lakes is wide open. I've had numerous tip ups hit by snowmobliers. I've had hillybillys and there dogs drive up when no one else is around for about 200yards. They start drilling holes 10 feet from me there dogs are running loose around me there music blaring. The pull of there quads and start doing donuts 20 feet away from me. I've had people try to steal fish off me at hassie. I'm sick and tired of every guy pulling up 2 feet from u and asking how the fishing is. If your going to ask people show some respect and park a 20 yards away and walk up to them. I will personal give the worse adive ever and send u to worse part of the lake telling you the fishing is ussually awsome there and i'm planning on moving there. So i will keep defending the lakes from the hoards of people. I'm not saying everyone is like this but when u post it on a message borad and u tell everyone about your bound to get them.

Wood1
01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Im getting borad of this topic.

fishman
01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
There is probably two types of fish that are the worse for reproducing at highly elevated rates and eating themselves out of home.....the first one resides in a lake and that is a perch.....even if you had nobody fishing a lake they would destroy themselves by reproducing at young age, as balance is a hrd thing with perch if you have the answer let me know.

The second fish would be a brook trout in a stream, i love to fish brookies but in a lake if they are in a stream they will do the same as a perch in a lake and reproduce at a young age and slowly take over the stream in turn stunting themselves .

I believe that the computer is a tool and if use probably can be a great thing but just like everything else is can be very harmful, as our province grows bigger and more people move in and with technology at its highest people are catching more fish and we have less licensed fisherman.....so the government tries to manage the fisheries but are struggling with as certain species are easier to manage then others and introduction of illegal yellow perch in stocked bodies of waters is the worse. I really think there is more then meets the eye on the whole balancing act of the fisheries and there is no correct answer for this. So in turn everything seems to go in a cycle just like rabbits example crooked lake every 7-10 years produces big perch get hit hard and there is nothing but small fish for awhile but comes around, if the fish weren't taken out of the lake it would totally collapse as they would eat them selfs out of house and home.

I am not defending anybody here just putting my 2 cents that to have a balance and catch bigg fish always guess what slot sizes would have to change catch number would have to change and most people want their cake and eat to so to keep everybody happy ain't going to happen so as we become more educated hopefully our kids on catch and release and managing thier keepers maybe we will have more happier people or nothing to ctahc.

I love to fish hard to catch trout lakes as i usually have to myself and i have my solitude and i am not tripping over whining people, in alberta we do not have the bodies of water but we have some very productive pot hole lakes and that are capable of producing some nice fish ..............that is enough for me now it sounds like i am whining as i am the opposite very happy with my fishing i just have problems with the people that are fishing these lakes.........not all of them but quite a few of them..............happy fishing

The Fisherman Guy
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
im getting borad of this topic.

ahahahahahahhaahhaha
I tip my hat to you sir

boomer
01-20-2009, 08:21 PM
hpf
WHY DONT YOU QUIT FISHING IF YOU HATE IT SO MUCH!

happy perch fisher
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Lol it ovious i did'nt hate fishing i just hate the *******s that wreck it.

butcherboy
01-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I think you are just full of hate/dislike-people who drive snowmachines,quads,dogs,loud music,people who steal YOUR FISH?????,people who create conversation on how fishing is going,hillbillies,meat fishermen,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. Please change your name to VERY UNHAPPY PERCHLESS FISHERMAN because there is no perch for you anywhere due to the amount of people fishing on YOUR lakes.

sako1
01-20-2009, 09:26 PM
VUPF for short..man thats funny lol

walker197
01-20-2009, 09:32 PM
man this is the dummest thread, i can't stop reading this crap:lol::lol:

happy perch fisher
01-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I think you are just full of hate/dislike-people who drive snowmachines,quads,dogs,loud music,people who steal YOUR FISH?????,people who create conversation on how fishing is going,hillbillies,meat fishermen,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. Please change your name to VERY UNHAPPY PERCHLESS FISHERMAN because there is no perch for you anywhere due to the amount of people fishing on YOUR lakes.

Yah this topic is done u guys didn't have a argument anymore. So your starting to resoulting to name calling and being little kids. I could careless really. But fact is you guys just can't handle the fact that i am right.

Alberta Bigbore
01-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Happy Perch Fisher, may I suggest you get your head out of the sand! This board is for the sharing of information, which in your opinion, was done, and you think that alone lead to the demise of your fishing hole. Cmon, give us a break.

Actually there is some truth to this. I remember that post, and i seen it on various other forums, i believe it was "Ranger Bob" was his handle on the flyfishing sites, or one of his friends, but may not have been the handle for here at that time. After that post and picture........hasse was a parking Lot. It was a nice perch to say the least. I know I know, beatin the horse :D

Morph1
01-21-2009, 08:40 AM
There is probably two types of fish that are the worse for reproducing at highly elevated rates and eating themselves out of home.....the first one resides in a lake and that is a perch.....even if you had nobody fishing a lake they would destroy themselves by reproducing at young age, as balance is a hrd thing with perch if you have the answer let me know.

The second fish would be a brook trout in a stream, i love to fish brookies but in a lake if they are in a stream they will do the same as a perch in a lake and reproduce at a young age and slowly take over the stream in turn stunting themselves .

lol, you're right, but , you're forgetting the third specie, which is the most destructive, the most hungry, multiplying at alarming rate and destroying everything in it's path - US - HUMANS :)
I know HPF maybe seems like his a whiner, but most of you at least the experienced fisherman know that he's right, I mean there can be only 2 litres of soda in a 2 litre bottle, no more or less , I mean comeon guys it's logic, I think most of you disagree cause you very well know it, there is plenty of truth in whats hes saying :) I know this board is about sharing, I just wish we had more lakes like Hasse, this would decrease the pressure off of the single lake, and so many people complain about the perch being introduced there lol,
well why is everyone there after perch then?? you so ****ed off go to star there is plenty of big trout there :), but hey one sec when you catch a huge rainbow out at star, well lets release it so the other fisherman has the same fun catching it as you do ...., about pikes you catch a monster pike , hold on it's a female with billion of eggs let her go - great ethics, well why won't they apply to perch ??? catching huge perch and releasing it and taking home the 8" perch, would that help maintain the perch population ?? and preserve the best gens structure for a future perch to come ???
Does a larger perch female hold more eggs that a small perch female ???
well same as pike, well why are we so destructive towards perch fisheries???
I just hate how people bias their ethics based on their personal preference,
I see it that every fresh water fish specie should carry a slot size and quantity limits just like walleyes and is should be govern just as walleye system in place.

Hey Big Bore ???? comeon man what lake is that ??? and what access and depth ??, ahh wait , what bait were you using ? :lol:

Cheers !

Sundancefisher
01-21-2009, 10:42 AM
lol, you're right, but , you're forgetting the third specie, which is the most destructive, the most hungry, multiplying at alarming rate and destroying everything in it's path - US - HUMANS :)
I know HPF maybe seems like his a whiner, but most of you at least the experienced fisherman know that he's rightunfortunately he is not right...generically lumping an illegal perch stocking and its ramifications versus perch in a normal predator controlled lake are totally different topics, I mean there can be only 2 litres of soda in a 2 litre bottle, no more or less , I mean comeon guys it's logic, I think most of you disagree cause you very well know it, there is plenty of truth in whats hes saying :) I know this board is about sharing, I just wish we had more lakes like Hasse, this would decrease the pressure off of the single lake, and so many people complain about the perch being introduced there lol,
well why is everyone there after perch thenpeople fish it while the initial short burst of growth occurs for the first and maybe second spawning years reach maturity. Then people go hoping to still catch them...but by then the big perch have either died of old age or have been caught. Some people also like some variety and hope that the perch will provide some new sport and meat...but 4 inch perch do neither and people then incorrectly blame the lack of big fish on over fishing...?? you so ****ed off go to star there is plenty of big trout there :), but hey one sec when you catch a huge rainbow out at star, well lets release it so the other fisherman has the same fun catching it as you do ...., about pikes you catch a monster pike , hold on it's a female with billion of eggs let her go - great ethics, well why won't they apply to perch ??? catching huge perch and releasing it and taking home the 8" perch, would that help maintain the perch population ?? and preserve the best gens structure for a future perch to come I will anwser the remain questions since the answer applied to all. Firstly the reason the perch stunt is over population. Therefore to maintain a good population balance with small, medium and large fish you need to achieve an equilibrium with the environment within the lake with respect to food availability and space taking into account if you also still wish to stock trout. If the perch can reproduce successfully in the lake and too many individual perch achieve adult hood and spawn then you are getting an exponential growth in the population. The lake can not support that so nature allows perch to have more individuals living in the lake by suppressing their growth. Therefore rather than spawning at 8 or 9 inches in length and growing to 16 inches in size...the perch mature at 4-5 inches and max out in length at 6 inches in size. The genetics do not cause the problem nor can they correct it. In fact returning all large perch to the lake effectively compounds the problem. The reason is an 8 inch perch lays 30,000 eggs. A 10 in perch 150,000 eggs, a 14 inch perch closer to 250,000 eggs. Meanwhile there are so many 5 inch + perch reaching maturity and spawning that even if everone fishing was allowed to keep as many perch as possible the likelyhood of controlling the population is remote. The year classes coming through the system can not be effectively targeted via angling until they are over 5 inches and probably 6 for most. Smaller fish are hard to catch or harder even to feel biting and face it...as you are an experienced angler...do you want to spend all day fishing and catch 10 four to five in perch to take home and fillet? Also when you talk about genetics in a normal lake you have some valid points to releasing large fish of almost any species. In a lake such as Hasse...some moron has put perch in there...probably a limited bucket initially which has very little genetic diversity...genetics are the least of the problem for a lake such as Hasse and have no bearing when it comes to an illegally stocked lake and the stunting effects. I am strongly in favor of a zero catch limit for perch on all illegally stocked lakes. That takes away the power from the morons that do illegal things like that.???
Does a larger perch female hold more eggs that a small perch female ???
well same as pike, well why are we so destructive towards perch fisheriesin an illegally stocked lake...perch do not behave like in a natural predator controlled population???
I just hate how people bias their ethics based on their personal preference,
I see it that every fresh water fish specie should carry a slot size and quantity limits just like walleyes and is should be govern just as walleye system in place.No one has put any bias in here other that HPF...His bias is based upon a lack of knowledge... In time he will come around and face the truth. In the meanwhile and until he shows he is learning...I can not repeat the facts to him over and over again however entertaining to watch the barrage of responses :lol:

Cheers !

Morph1... The trick is to separate a natural perch population such as in Gull, Pigeon etc. from an illegally stocked perch population in a trout pond/lake.

From your comments you are thinking of this issue to much from the wrong vantage point. I recommend you step back and focus on the points detailed regarded stocked water bodies.

The important thing to remember and that HPF does not grasp is that if today...they made Hasse catch and release for perch...then HPF went fishing for perch in 10 years...all he would catch would be 4-6 inchers...and the 6 inchers would be hard to find as the 2-4 inchers would be stealing the bait and would greatly out number the 6 inchers...

Cheers

Sun

happy perch fisher
01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Sure it will probably stunt eventally. But it didn't stunt in the 1 year that you where saying. But wait maybe hassie winterkills some of small perch survive and grow really big agian because there no predators and theres plenty of food. There lots of things that can happen. Sure they can stunt but it will still be along time away. Perch will contuine growing at hassie because of the harvesting of everything over 6 inches. Perch have no problem eating baby perch. So as soon as they hatch there fair game. I'll be honest 2 theres alot of certian guy out there are keeping whatever they catch no matter the size. So i can not see them stunting for time being. It may seem like it is but thats just because there being harvested so massivly. Sundance just because you read something in a book doesn't make it totattly accurate. Alberta lakes are different then lakes in the states and the rest of canada. Just because your book says one thing doesn't mean it works here in alberta. Lakes in alberta are alot shallower which causes them to have more food but also causes them to winterkill. You oviosly have very little fishing experince because you did'nt even know that perch have bad eyesight which stops them from feeding at night. All u had to do to figure that one out is go to your lake sundance probably the only lake u ever fished wait there till night and see when the perch stop biting. Or you could read the next chapter in your book and maybe it will have it include.

Sundancefisher
01-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Sure it will probably stunt eventally. But it didn't stunt in the 1 year that you where saying. But wait maybe hassie winterkills some of small perch survive and grow really big agian because there no predators and theres plenty of food. There lots of things that can happen. Sure they can stunt but it will still be along time away. Perch will contuine growing at hassie because of the harvesting of everything over 6 inches. Perch have no problem eating baby perch. So as soon as they hatch there fair game. I'll be honest 2 theres alot of certian guy out there are keeping whatever they catch no matter the size. So i can not see them stunting for time being. It may seem like it is but thats just because there being harvested so massivly. Sundance just because you read something in a book doesn't make it totattly accurate. Alberta lakes are different then lakes in the states and the rest of canada. Just because your book says one thing doesn't mean it works here in alberta. Lakes in alberta are alot shallower which causes them to have more food but also causes them to winterkill. You oviosly have very little fishing experince because you did'nt even know that perch have bad eyesight which stops them from feeding at night. All u had to do to figure that one out is go to your lake sundance probably the only lake u ever fished wait there till night and see when the perch stop biting. Or you could read the next chapter in your book and maybe it will have it include.

Dude...Let's get it out on the table just so we can all know where your opinions stand. I was UofA trained as a fisheries biologist in Alberta...studied perch and most other species in Alberta. I have been fishing for 35 years from Montana to Lake Athabasca. From Regina to Langara Island... I have written or co written reports on fishing. I have done office and field work. Your qualifications are?

Let's just be smart about this shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnkefjCES-4

Otherwise...it is all just useless noise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5f_gbzo4Q0

This topic is giving me a bad taste in my mouth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sReikoEtg4c

Now that I think about it HPF...I just can't give up you so easily... I think you can be redeemed still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuB8xWeA59I

Sun

buckmaster
01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks sundance,that should pretty well end this thread and satisfy some on here!!;):innocent:

pdfish
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Dude...Let's get it out on the table just so we can all know where your opinions stand. I was UofA trained as a fisheries biologist in Alberta...studied perch and most other species in Alberta. I have been fishing for 35 years from Montana to Lake Athabasca. From Regina to Langara Island... I have written or co written reports on fishing. I have done office and field work. Your qualifications are?

Let's just be smart about this shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnkefjCES-4

Otherwise...it is all just useless noise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5f_gbzo4Q0

This topic is giving me a bad taste in my mouth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sReikoEtg4c

Now that I think about it HPF...I just can't give up you so easily... I think you can be redeemed still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuB8xWeA59I

Sun

Game, Set, Match Sundancefisher

buckmaster
01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Game, Set, Match Sundancefisher

:lol: good one !!!

happy perch fisher
01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
bs i did'nt bielve you if u studied u would known that perch have bad eyesight which stop them from feeding at night.You would of known that essicipally if your what your saying u are 35years and fishing bioligist. I think your more of the guy that reads a book one time and thinks he's a fishing biolgist. So your either worse fishery biolgist every or your filling us up with bs. I think your full of bs. But u might been the guy that said if we make walleye c and realese and we keep the high limits on pike and perch and other fish. The walleye won't overpopulate and destroy them. People won't go from keeping one fish to the other ones a dumb de dumb dumb. Dumb de dumb dumb some more oh wait my bad did'nt worry guys i'll just stock some walleye in pigion lake this way they might repopulate. Few years later i did'nt know what happened to the perch and the small whitefish they must of disspered or people must of caught them all. But i think your bsing because i doubt u could be that stupid. But u never know with people like u.

FiveO
01-21-2009, 12:30 PM
bs i did'nt bielve you if u studied u would known that perch have bad eyesight which stop them from feeding at night.You would of known that essicipally if your what your saying u are 35years and fishing bioligist. I think your more of the guy that reads a book one time and thinks he's a fishing biolgist. So your either worse fishery biolgist every or your filling us up with bs. I think your full of bs. But u might been the guy that said if we make walleye c and realese and we keep the high limits on pike and perch and other fish. The walleye won't overpopulate and destroy them. People won't go from keeping one fish to the other ones a dumb de dumb dumb. Dumb de dumb dumb some more oh wait my bad did'nt worry guys i'll just stock some walleye in pigion lake this way they might repopulate. Few years later i did'nt know what happened to the perch and the small whitefish they must of disspered or people must of caught them all. But i think your bsing because i doubt u could be that stupid. But u never know with people like u.

Like I said on another board " you are an ignorant little ***** that was either beat as a child or should be beat as an adult"
If you dont like the exchange of information then dont come to the board all you do is add negativity and really bring no value to anyone.

I wish the perch were gone from Hassie it was a great local lake for many years that produced some real nice rainbow. HPF probably stocked it with Perch.

Morph1
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Bravo Sundance, hats off for your education and your wide range of knowledge, I fully agree with you regarding dumping perch in a trout stocked body of water, those 2 spiecies do not belong together in a small lake as Hasse, but lots of folks go out of their way to appear at Hasse and catch some perch :lol:, seems like everyone is asking where are the honey holes with perch not trout, and that's fine too, I love fishing for either specie and enjoy very much and I too take some fish home and yes I do eat it.

However I was wondering if you can explain why is it that the perch is so well susteined at Cow Lake ?, I do not believe they were there from the very start and they also had been introduced there upon trout fishery,
how is it that that lake differs so much from Hasse lake and lots of folks report back with great results ...., I have never been to that lake myself,
so I can not comment any specifics, but what it seems to me that Cow lake maybe smaller than Hasse in size and not as deep either...,

Also regarding the larger perch feeding on the smaller perch ??? , releasing the larger perch would that help to keep the right population levels ?? decreasing the quantity of the smaller perch ....

I do respect your knowledge after all you had been a biologist and dealt with the subject on daily basis, but as of right now I do not believe that a stunting
process has had occured at Hasse , it probably will happen eventually , right now the larger perch is simply fished out, and we need some time for larger perch to re-emarge I mean how long does it take for perch to reach 12" ???
it does not happen right away , and just because there is plenty of 6"-8" perch that does not justify the assumption that the perch has stunted there.

Cheers mate lol,
this is getting out of whack , last post here :)
That's it :lol:Going to Hasse this coming weekend to count the trucks and kick people out of the lake LOL :lol:

Alex K
01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
WOW.

This has become a very annoying yet interesting post. It's like passing a terrible crash on the highway you just can't help but slow down and stare at the carnage.

Sundance has added alot of factual info, and yes HPF you are right perch do have poor sight in low light conditions.

I am not familliar with Hasse so I won't get into judging the situation, but question I have is when were perch introduced to Hasse lake. When they are first introduced, they will grow faster as there are fewer of them. Now being a trout lake they would have had zero predetors to begin with until the first ones got big. Then they would eat the smaller ones helping with populaion control for a very short time. Then eventually they would lose ground and the populations will eventually explode in this environment. Keeping in mind that there are still big ones around, probably a few year classes as they start reproducing their second year while populations are low. So with that said if they were to survive for 10 years as some will, you could see large fish for some time.

So hear is a theory of what could have happened. Now this would depend on when were they introduced. For some time the limited pressure on this lake as HPF describes allowed him and others to enjoy the first year classes of Perch that did get big. Then as hpf mentioned over and over it was posted on this forum or piped through the fishin hole that big perch are being caught at Hasse lake. Therefore instant pressure killed off the remaining big perch, thus all that is left are the rest that have sucumbed to the stunted perch syndrome. And yes in these situations it is enevitable it will happen without a natural predetor to keep the populations in check. So the big perch would have eventually vanished it just sped up the process. Now woth the new pressure on the lake if anglers start keeping the small ones it might get thinned out enough to allow some growth, although I doubt that will happen.

Bottom line in my opinion they did not belong there or any trout stocked lake as it destroys the trout fishery in time and it just does not work for the perch so you wreck both opportunities in time. Just look at Cow lake. It used to be a great trout fisher with stocking. Then Perch got in and the trout fishery has never been the same. For a while we caght big perch then they took over and got smaller, now they gave up and stocked it with Pike. Which in this lake will in time provide a new fishery that should prove to do well eventually and provide another species option in the Rocky area.

Any that's my 2 cents

Alex Kreis

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
WOW.

This has become a very annoying yet interesting post. It's like passing a terrible crash on the highway you just can't help but slow down and stare at the carnage.

Sundance has added alot of factual info, and yes HPF you are right perch do have poor sight in low light conditions.

I am not familliar with Hasse so I won't get into judging the situation, but question I have is when were perch introduced to Hasse lake. When they are first introduced, they will grow faster as there are fewer of them. Now being a trout lake they would have had zero predetors to begin with until the first ones got big. Then they would eat the smaller ones helping with populaion control for a very short time. Then eventually they would lose ground and the populations will eventually explode in this environment. Keeping in mind that there are still big ones around, probably a few year classes as they start reproducing their second year while populations are low. So with that said if they were to survive for 10 years as some will, you could see large fish for some time.

So hear is a theory of what could have happened. Now this would depend on when were they introduced. For some time the limited pressure on this lake as HPF describes allowed him and others to enjoy the first year classes of Perch that did get big. Then as hpf mentioned over and over it was posted on this forum or piped through the fishin hole that big perch are being caught at Hasse lake. Therefore instant pressure killed off the remaining big perch, thus all that is left are the rest that have sucumbed to the stunted perch syndrome. And yes in these situations it is enevitable it will happen without a natural predetor to keep the populations in check. So the big perch would have eventually vanished it just sped up the process. Now woth the new pressure on the lake if anglers start keeping the small ones it might get thinned out enough to allow some growth, although I doubt that will happen.

Bottom line in my opinion they did not belong there or any trout stocked lake as it destroys the trout fishery in time and it just does not work for the perch so you wreck both opportunities in time. Just look at Cow lake. It used to be a great trout fisher with stocking. Then Perch got in and the trout fishery has never been the same. For a while we caght big perch then they took over and got smaller, now they gave up and stocked it with Pike. Which in this lake will in time provide a new fishery that should prove to do well eventually and provide another species option in the Rocky area.

Any that's my 2 cents

Alex Kreis

Thats , bang On Alex ....... And Happy Perchfisher , Just let it slide man , some of these folk ya know typical know it alls even when you lay out the proper information.They hate ya cus your right .

pitw
01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I have been at Hasse many times and caught and released some lovely trout there. It's been 20 year's since I was there and all the talk then was stickle backs. Last time I was there Lloyd McMann showed up and I figured if he was going to be there that thing's were going downhill. Guess I was right.

Sundancefisher
01-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Bravo Sundance, hats off for your education and your wide range of knowledge, I fully agree with you regarding dumping perch in a trout stocked body of water, those 2 spiecies do not belong together in a small lake as Hasse, but lots of folks go out of their way to appear at Hasse and catch some perch :lol:, seems like everyone is asking where are the honey holes with perch not trout, and that's fine too, I love fishing for either specie and enjoy very much and I too take some fish home and yes I do eat it.

However I was wondering if you can explain why is it that the perch is so well susteined at Cow Lake most likely the predator prey relationship between pike and perch?, I do not believe they were there from the very start and they also had been introduced there upon trout fishery,
how is it that that lake differs so much from Hasse lake and lots of folks report back with great results ....Hasse has not natural predators, I have never been to that lake myself,
so I can not comment any specifics, but what it seems to me that Cow lake maybe smaller than Hasse in size and not as deep either...,

Also regarding the larger perch feeding on the smaller perch ??? , releasing the larger perch would that help to keep the right population levels ?? decreasing the quantity of the smaller perch ....problem is the big perch eventually die and are not replaced in a stunted population. Meanwhile they add to the problem by being even more reproductively successful

I do respect your knowledge after all you had been a biologist and dealt with the subject on daily basis, but as of right now I do not believe that a stunting
process has had occured at Hasse without a regular winter or summer kill or natural predator or really poor reproductive success...the inevitable will happen for sure. Killing large perch will not however make the perch fishing worse in the long run other than having another angler catching them before you, it probably will happen eventually , right now the larger perch is simply fished out, and we need some time for larger perch to re-emarge I mean how long does it take for perch to reach 12" they will not emerge. The first wave of perch to be borne grow and the following do not unless the perch numbers are knocked down extremely hard... ie winter kill???
it does not happen right away , and just because there is plenty of 6"-8" perch that does not justify the assumption that the perch has stunted there. In Lake Sundance...and the analogy holds and the fishing pressure is minimal compared to elsewhere...my personal catch rates while going up significantly each year...the sizes are dropping. While you still seem some on camera...the small perch way outnumber the big perch. This population explosion is the cause and effect. You see the population explosion...you know stunting is happening. Simple stats here would be my average size perch 2 years ago was 10 inches, last year 8 inches, this year 6 inches. Our perch were put in there about 9-10 years ago. No one can argue that illegally stocking perch in Hasse has created a valuable LONG TERM fishery. Short term for some maybe. Long term definitely not. Remembering very few actually fish for perch here although we are trying hard to change that...our fishing pressure is probably neglible compared to Hasse. Even so...millions of perch are coming into the Hasse system each year...Are millions getting caught? I really doubt it.

Cheers mate lol,
this is getting out of whack , last post here :)
That's it :lol:Going to Hasse this coming weekend to count the trucks and kick people out of the lake LOL :lol:

My last post also. If someone wants to start a different post regarding a specific aspect of perch I would be happy to help. While I don't mind chatting about fisheries management and biology, it is hard to converse when someone does not believe I know something about what I take the time to talk about with.

Alex K and HPF
As for knowing perch see at night or not...that is irrelevant as I fully admit I do not know everything and any good fisherman knows they learn something new every time the fish. While I studied in depth predator prey relationships of Perch to Pike, Perch to sticklebacks, perch to fathead minnow, frequency and size distribution and geographical distribution of perch in the Athabasca River drainage system...I never ever did a real study on fishing in the dark. I have noted which is why I asked that the perch fishing while sometimes intense at dusk...drops off significantly after dark to nothing... Curious as to if something did work...it may be fun to try one evening.

I must say HPF...while we disagree on basic facts and information...it does bring to light illegal stocking and the damage it causes which I am sure you also agree with.http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/fishingalberta/pdf/PositionPaper_Perch_introduction_djp_Sept24.pdf
Hopefully you have read this.

Cheers

Sun

happy perch fisher
01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
ok its time to let the thread die its going nowhere. Yes i know perch lakes will eventually stunt without predation but that is not true of hassie and other lakes. They have'nt reached that point and it will be along time before that happens. There are ton of other factors essicpally in alberta that decides what will happen to these lakes. I'll just leave it at that.

Alex K
01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Sundance,

Just so you know I was not questioning your knowledge i was actually supporting it.

I just pointed out that the night thing was irrelevent just acknowledging to hpf he was right about one thing.

Alex Kreis

Morph1
01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
aren't we all supposed to be working till 4:00 pm lol :lol:
I find myself sometimes spending 1/3 of my day job on this forum,
it gets addictive as the winter slowly crawls away ....

Albertabowhunter
01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Anyone catching any bigger perch at lake Isle? :)

Albertadiver
01-21-2009, 05:11 PM
just acknowledging to hpf he was right about one thing.

Alex Kreis

Careful, that will just encourage him to stick around...

The Fisherman Guy
01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
DING! that's the bell! The fat lady is singing! tap tap tap, tapping over, and out.

Good round chaps, hey at least the recession is great for one thing! Our obvious addiction to flex our fish knowledge muscles to feed our obvious addiction to our collectively favorite hunting and fishing forum!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::wave:

fishfun
09-20-2009, 07:04 AM
I've read the posts for the few trout lakes around Edmonton and one thing seems clear about the state of the fishing.Its all about the size.
Every lake in Alberta has seen a decrease in the mean size of fish in the last 20+years.This is for 2 reasons.
1:The majority of fisherman are all about the big one.
2:Size limits set by the "Powers that be"
Hear are my explanations;
When a bear goes to the stream to eat it does not take a bunch of fish,look at all of them and throw the little ones back.It eats what it can get.
The majority of fisherman do the opposite,only take the biggest,which are also the oldest.Young fish(small) do not reproduce as highly as the older fish(big).Would a fisherman rather tell his friends a story about catching 20-2pounders or 1-10 pounder.Your all about the story.
I truly have no idea the reason behind the fisheries telling us to not keep the little ones and only take the mature ones.In nature it is the small,defenseless ones that are lost to natural predators which is why they have a multitude of eggs instead of a few.It's evolution.How many years does it take a fish to spawn after birth.I suppose different fish have different times but I must think it has to be a few years.Taking that 10 pounder you are so excited about loses a few years of spawning potential for that lake.Naturally over time the stock diminishes.
I truly feel what I have said is the absolute truth.
Since I was 9 I've been fishing in Alberta,now I'm 38,bought a licence from the time I was 16.I have not purchased a licence since I was 22 because I CAN NOT support the "Powers that Be" and their backward thinking.

I am a sport-fisherman and enjoy every fish I catch and keep none.If I'm hungry I'll go to the store.

My intentions here are not to offend anyone but to share what I know to be the truth of Natural Law.

Paul C
09-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Illegal stocking of perch ruined the lake and the perch stunted which is what happened.

Here is a good article sums a lot up...

http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/fishingalberta/pdf/PositionPaper_Perch_introduction_djp_Sept24.pdf

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them. I have done a lot of research on my own regarding introduced perch. HPF does not know what he is talking about.

Cheers

Sun
There has been perch in Hasse for a very long time. It has been increased numbers close to the dock. The perch have been located near the farmers house on the other side.
:DHappy Perching:D