PDA

View Full Version : Shimano FX4000

arhuomam
07-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Hi All,

I was at CanadianTire and they have lots of Shimano rod and reels for sale.

I am not really an expert in fishing and have no money to spend in buying an expensive fishing rod.

Someone told me Shimano 4000 is not really bad for the money and does great job. I was also fishing and saw someone fishing with Shimano 4000, the guy is trowing hid spinning really far, three or four times than using my cheap rod (I am using $20 WalMart one).

Please let me know what you think about Shimano 4000?

Here is an example of one of them

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shimano-fx4000-combo-0784764p.html#.VbKGGBFRGUk

Thanks

Kurt505
07-24-2015, 03:59 PM
I'd suggest spending that $55 on a new reel and put it on your rod until you can save up enough for a new rod. Right now Cabelas has the Shimano Sedona on sale for $59.99, in my opinion that would be a much wiser purchase. Regular $90 so you'll be saving yourself some cash. I don't have any experience with the FX4000, but I do have a Sedona that's about 10yrs old and haven't had a problem with it.

the local angler
07-24-2015, 05:42 PM
myself i have like over 60 + rods and reel combos and 3 of them are very simular to the one you are talking about. i bought 2 outfits from crappy tire that were $29 i think and both were shimano fx2000 series. worked great as a cheap rod reel combo to leave in the vehicle. one is still going strong spooled with 6lb test and the other packed it in like a year or two after i bought it. i was fighting a fish and something in the reel broke and jammed it up so it wouldn't spin so i had to hand bomb the fish in. for the price i was not expecting much and ending up buying the fx 4000 reel to replace the fx2000 that broke. personally i think its a nice starter or simple outfit for anyone, just do your research and see what others think of it before buying and get a good name brand

Tom Pullings
07-25-2015, 09:56 AM
I used an fx4000 reel and a cheaper shimano rod as my truck setup for many years until I broke the rod in the door. Still have the reel kicking around somewhere. It's not as refined or pretty as a more expensive reel but it certainly gets the job done.

arhuomam
07-27-2015, 12:23 AM
Thank you very much all for your time and inputs.
Your comments are really helpful.

Bushrat
07-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Speaking of casting distances, the heavier your line on a spinning reel the less distance it will cast with the same weight lure. The guy you saw casting far may have had a heavier lure and thinner lighter line. That has more to do with casting distance than the reel.

wildwoods
07-27-2015, 07:52 AM
Speaking of casting distances, the heavier your line on a spinning reel the less distance it will cast with the same weight lure. The guy you saw casting far may have had a heavier lure and thinner lighter line. That has more to do with casting distance than the reel.

I agree with above post. He probably had a lighter/smoother line.

I will always put way more $$ into my rod than my reel. I love a silky smooth reel just as much as the next guy, but if you're not feeling and catching fish, a great reel is almost pointless. Fenwick makes a good starter Alberta rod in it's Eagle series (Fishin' Hole $59 right now). 6'6" medium action. Beautiful rod for finicky walleye and strong enough for larger pike.

Dewey Cox
07-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Why do you want to delete this thread?
There's information on here that could be useful to other people.

arhuomam
07-27-2015, 09:32 AM
Valid point, I re-edited the post title from Please delete to Shimano FX4000.

Yes, let others benefit from it.

Thanks

Why do you want to delete this thread?
There's information on here that could be useful to other people.

TROLLER
07-27-2015, 01:09 PM
I did not know they even still made that quik fire reel.

Not the best of Shimano by a long shot but they will work, the rear drag is nice but again it is quite old tech. for sure. Price is right and it would be a great starter set for anyone.

TUFFBUFF
07-27-2015, 02:50 PM
Thank you very much all for your time and inputs.
Your comments are really helpful.

I'd skip all these and head to Wholesale sports as they have up to 40% off select rods and reels should be able to piece together something more to your liking. they also have 25 off combos.
whatcha fishin for?

arhuomam
08-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Almost all fish but mostly trout and trout around Calgary.
Sometimes I drive far to get different experience.

Wild&Free
08-04-2015, 11:23 PM
For the price point look into a pflueger reel. I have a shimano FX reel and it sits in my box as a spare.