PDA

View Full Version : Bad day at calling

normanbrill
01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
We went to calling lake today and it was the *****s. Three pike and one walleye. Only one pike was a keeper it was 8.5 lbs. The walleye was 3lbs. Some guys driving on the lake but not us way to much flood water.

packhuntr
01-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a pretty darned good day for a lake that has filled as many freezers as that one has. If the fishin was as bad as you say, then I just gotta ask,,,, did you kill that " keeper " pike?

happy perch fisher
01-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a pretty darned good day for a lake that has filled as many freezers as that one has. If the fishin was as bad as you say, then I just gotta ask,,,, did you kill that " keeper " pike?

its ovious he did.

normanbrill
01-18-2009, 09:22 PM
The keeper is in the freezer. And you would have put it back. RIGHT.........

happy perch fisher
01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
I did'nt keep big pike. I have'nt kept a pike in a long time. Reason i said that is because u called it a keeper.

normanbrill
01-18-2009, 10:10 PM
I thought that it what fishing was all about. You fish because its a great thing to do with the family and you also get to keep what is deemed legal by fish and wildlife. WE did not take any fish that we illegal. Even thou the fishing was slow it was better than working!!!

packhuntr
01-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey normanbrill, congrats on the pike, im sure it will fry up great. You know, its possible to love your local fishery while not loving it to death hey.... You are absolutely right though, its legal and its your right. All the best.

Reeves1
01-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Looks like another person will be unlikely to post his good luck on this forum.
Sad, really.
You couldn't pay me to post a dead fish picture on this site.

packhuntr
01-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Give it a rest Reeves. The time is long past to be part of the problem, we have to all become part of the solution now. I could show you what a healthy fishery looks like, but then it would just be another fishery on the soon to be collapsed list. Enjoy the fruits of your labor on your local collapsed lake pal. I wonder, have you ever seen pike fishing where you catch one or two sub legal fish, while catching 20 that go legal all the way to 30 pounds, basically a healthy mix of age classes with big fish representation?? This is what all our fisherys were like at one time. If the fishing sucks, its your own faults, dont try to pass the buck, and dont try to justify it. One day this outfit we call SRD will grow a brain, and what we know as apparent regulations is gonna change, because the ones that claim to love the fisherys cant control themselves, and really couldnt care less even if they were smart enough to know what was happening. Kill all of our fish fellas, but dont whine about the crappy fishing.

troller
01-19-2009, 07:00 AM
We went to calling lake today and it was the *****s. Three pike and one walleye. Only one pike was a keeper it was 8.5 lbs. The walleye was 3lbs. Some guys driving on the lake but not us way to much flood water.

A bad day is not catching anything LOL. At least you got a bite or two :).

don't worry about the arguement that is following, it seems to jump from thread to thread :rolleye2:

happy perch fisher
01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Give it a rest Reeves. The time is long past to be part of the problem, we have to all become part of the solution now. I could show you what a healthy fishery looks like, but then it would just be another fishery on the soon to be collapsed list. Enjoy the fruits of your labor on your local collapsed lake pal. I wonder, have you ever seen pike fishing where you catch one or two sub legal fish, while catching 20 that go legal all the way to 30 pounds, basically a healthy mix of age classes with big fish representation?? This is what all our fisherys were like at one time. If the fishing sucks, its your own faults, dont try to pass the buck, and dont try to justify it. One day this outfit we call SRD will grow a brain, and what we know as apparent regulations is gonna change, because the ones that claim to love the fisherys cant control themselves, and really couldnt care less even if they were smart enough to know what was happening. Kill all of our fish fellas, but dont whine about the crappy fishing.
X2 times 10

I was really hoping to be able to fish in alberta 20 years from now but the way this is going looks like i'm going to be moving to northern saskwatchon or nwt. Alberta lakes are getting trashed at alarming rate everything has gone so down hill and will keep going down hill unless something is done and theres a change in attuide.

tolait
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
way to go norman brill cold water pike are great in the pan.and like anything done in moderation its alright .

Reeves1
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Subtle as a sledge hammer and as friendly as a junk yard dog !
Pat your self on the back lad !
If you only knew....

Drewski Canuck
01-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Went up to the lakelot, spent 1.5 hr on the tractor digging out the driveway from the grader and the 2 feet of snow from last clearing job, finally unloaded the sled. Yamaha VK 540 could stay up on the 3 foot of powder, but had its hands full with 3 riders to steer at slow speeds. THEN the flood ice started. Great fun getting wet. Kids wanted to sled, I wanted to fish, guess who won? Sawl one guy with an honest 14.5 pd pike by the tower. He was the furthest truck and he went through 5 different flood areas to get where he did. Big cohoneys!. Snow is about 2 feet on the lake, with 6 inches of flood on the ice. Snow was compacting in the heat and was like driving through wet cement in the flood ice areas.

Problem is, if I go the kids want to go sledding. The best fishing spots are tough to get to right now. If the heat continues, the snow pack should decline and MAYBE everyone can get to the good spots later on.

Drewski

normanbrill
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
?

Reeves1
01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Reeves what are you suggesting that everyone stop fishing.?

Huh ?
I don't recall saying anything like that.
I cannot see any reason to stop fishing !

It's the life long WWF members that are saying don't kill any fish !

The only reason I piped up was, you posted some good luck and got pounced on for keeping a fish.(they were in the wrong to do so)
You mentioned it was slow, but they didn't even know where on the Lake you were fishing. Shallow ? Deep ? Wrong area ? Atmospheric pressure stable, rising, falling ?
So many factors in why a person may have a slow day and you were criticized for keeping a fish.

Then I got attcked for saying what little I did, about a person not wanting to post about luck (any kind) on this forum.

It seems if a person has "luck" and keeps a fish or so to eat, they are contributing to the fall of all fish stocks in Alberta.
If a person posts they had a slow day or no "luck" at all, then a few will attack saying the Lakes have crashed due to people eating a few fish.

It seems to be mainly young folk who really have no idea of what they speak of.

I have data going back so far on Alberta Lakes it has never been put "on line".
Although the "new" laws have done huge damage to some Lakes, a person can still keep a big Pike from Lakes even like Gull, Pigeon etc and not harm the Lake. Gull still produces 40+ lb Pike, like it has for thousands of years.

I could go on, but it would be wasted typing on here.

Long and short of it is, Good on you for keeping and enjoying an Alberta fish !

normanbrill
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
One thing that i do know is that a big reason that we have no fish left is because of all the poaching that goes on. All you have to do is read the alberta game warden magazine. The note book section tells it all.

tjm
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
now thats a good point norm

packhuntr
01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Quote: It seems to be mainly young folk who really have no idea of what they speak of.

Ok Reeves, ya got me pinned, you bet.:lol: Seems like the only ones not wanting to accept change in this regard is the elderly fraternity. Then, they dont really care what kind of mess is left behind, they dont have to deal with it.

Quote: A person can still keep a big pike from lakes like Gull, Pigeon etc and not harm the lake.

Some more fact Reeves?? You better go do some research before you speak too loud on those issues. It shouldnt take you long to find it and read it.

Quote: Gull still produces 40+ lb pike.

That must be some more of your facts there Reeves?? You wouldnt be able to show me even one, thats right, (1) pike that has come out of this province that has went 40 pounds officially. I dont beleive you know what your talking about in the least bit about these issues Reeves. I have said more than enough on Catch and Release fishing on here to last me for a while.
In the end, if guys want an eater, of any legal species, by all means, nothing wrong with that, most all of us do it. Some just choose to enjoy while conserving,,, for the future, thats all.
All the best in the new year fellas.

SNAPFisher
01-19-2009, 10:16 PM
X2 times 10

I was really hoping to be able to fish in alberta 20 years from now but the way this is going looks like i'm going to be moving to northern saskwatchon or nwt.

Have a nice trip. Please, forget to write. :evilgrin: