PDA

View Full Version : whistler BC fishing, any lakes recommended?

HuyFishin
07-27-2015, 05:26 PM
i'm heading to whistler this long weekened, is there any place you guys would recommended for fishing? I've never been in the area.

Northern Yaker
07-27-2015, 06:13 PM
Alta or Green lake have the bigger fish, Cutrhroats, Bulls, Dolly Varden and smaller rainbows. Both are single barbless and C&R only.
Alpha, Nita or Lost all have stocked rainbows and are decent fishing.

Here is a couple fish pics from early April in the Whistler area

21.75" bull

Northern Yaker
07-27-2015, 06:14 PM
20" cutthroat...

HuyFishin
07-28-2015, 01:07 PM
has anyone tried fishing the squamish river during this time for salmon?

sure as shootin'
07-28-2015, 03:06 PM
has anyone tried fishing the squamish river during this time for salmon?

This is prime time for fishing the Squamish (just below the mamquam confluence) or Furry Creek on the beach (both sides of the creek). On three trips I've already been into over 75 fish. They do have soft mouths so your hook to land ratio could be as low as half what you hook.

i only fly fish but the gear guys are doing well, too, chucking pink spoons or small size buzz bombs.

HuyFishin
07-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Should I be whipping out my spinning rod or Baitcasters how many
pound line?

waterninja
07-28-2015, 09:52 PM
I was planning on going out this fall for pinks with my brother. Talked to him today, and he mentioned there is a lot of talk about heavy restrictions on river fishing this year due to very low water levels. BC Fisheries are concerned that the salmon run may be severly hampered this year.

sure as shootin'
07-28-2015, 10:59 PM
Should I be whipping out my spinning rod or Baitcasters how many
pound line?

The fish are in the 2-4 lb. range so you don't need much more than 12 lb. mono. As far as spinning or baitcasting outfits go I guess it depends on your casting. If you plan on fishing the river, if it was me doing a switch up from flyfishing to gear, I'd be inclined to fish a small Dick Nite (copper with some orange on it) under a float with a couple of inches of pencil lead. Saw a guy doing that the last pink cycle and he did well.

On the beaches most guys I've seen, not flyfishing, are using spinning outfits.

sure as shootin'
07-28-2015, 11:03 PM
I was planning on going out this fall for pinks with my brother. Talked to him today, and he mentioned there is a lot of talk about heavy restrictions on river fishing this year due to very low water levels. BC Fisheries are concerned that the salmon run may be severly hampered this year.

Right now the only systems that are open are the Squamish (Mamquam to the railway bridge and the Cheakimus) in Howe Sound. The Vedder/Chilliwack, Harrison, and the Tidal Fraser are also open. Everything else in the southern part of the province is closed and for good reason.

The Fraser is not open for salmon just yet but once the pinks arrive in mid August I'm pretty sure you'll see an opening up river, as well.

HuyFishin
07-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Thank you very much for the details, my first time going so I don't know what to expect.

sure as shootin'
07-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Thank you very much for the details, my first time going so I don't know what to expect.

I fished both Furry Creek and the Squamish today but as it is with salmon fishing every day is a different story since they're constantly on the move. Today's story was tough, slow fishing,,,,,only managed six. The river was very coloured up because we just got another bout of heat the last two days which melts the glaciers. You'll always find that you have much more clarity in the early morning, though, and less as the day progresses if it's going to be hot out.

The run peaks about the 2nd week of August but good fishing can be had almost to the end of Auguast depending on the year. There's far more fish in the river so a lack of visibilty isn't as crucial because some fish will likely see your offering.