PDA

View Full Version : how to clean pike - boneless

moosehunter3-0
01-18-2009, 10:48 PM

BigRackLover
01-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks moose - I remember that from when I was younger but could not remember alll the details. WE called it the 5 fillet method.

The Fisherman Guy
01-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks Moosehunter, I caught good sized one today and I will give your method a shot tomorrow night! Thanks for the post!

bbour
01-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks Moosehunter. the information is very use full:)

mark-edmonton
01-19-2009, 09:02 AM
might give that a shot, thanks for the post.

Albertahog
01-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Great Info thank's.:)

Justanotherbuck2
01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Awesome video guys, I gotta tell you after years of doing it myself, its still really nice to see someone who really knows what they are doing , thanks for posting.

Badback
01-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree very informative and well done…Many years ago my father taught me the side fillet method and we always had bones in them…I can hardly wait to try your way…

David

moosehunter3-0
01-19-2009, 05:44 PM
thanks for the comments. We just ate some of the fillets tonight and the only cut that had the odd bone to pick out was the back peice and the rest was completely boneless.

Rumtan
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM
That is a video worth watching twice for me......ive never done them that way but I think iI will try it next Jack i catch. Thanks for the link.

gonefishn
01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
that's kind of how I been doing it for years. it is one of the best methods. i never did like these new electric knifes, i recently tried one and they actually work pretty good, once you get good Then you can get fast

Brian
01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
It's a great way to do them but in my experience that strip of fillet below the dorsal fin is just as good as the rest of the fillet. Instead of just cutting off the tail "medallion" I take the whole fillet from the front of the dorsal fin (i.e. on the side) right to the tail. If you take it from the front of the dorsal fin in a line to the vent, & then back to the tail, there are seldom any bones in the piece at all. Then proceed as the video shows. I'm not sure why the video indicates this side strip below the dorsal fin is full of bones but.........try it & see for yourself.

Roebag
01-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I'll be trying it foresure......Thanks

Big.Bear
01-19-2009, 09:56 PM
thats pretty cool, thanks!

d bowhunter
01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Heres a video of us cleaning one of the pike I caught that I posted earlier. This is our boneless method we have used, which im sure isnt the only way but it is truely completely boneless.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UP-Y6oQ18AU

Thanks for the vid that looks alot easyer then the way I was doing it.

mark-edmonton
01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
tried it today. disappoining results. i'm sure i did something wrong. first time trying. but it didn't go well for me

shane_buck
01-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Everyone has their own methods. This is one i have seen many times, but in my opinion it ends up wasting a lot of the meat. The portion below the dorsal fin has lots of good meat and its wasted.

The best method i have found and what i use is to take both slabs of the entire sides and cut down on both sides of the row of Y bones after taking the ribs off. You end up with two complete fillets and it doesn't waste any meat.

This video shows what i'm talking about http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bcWyGrV0qao

I'm sure many people use both methods....I just like this one better for less wastage

gube
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Everyone has their own methods. This is one i have seen many times, but in my opinion it ends up wasting a lot of the meat. The portion below the dorsal fin has lots of good meat and its wasted.

The best method i have found and what i use is to take both slabs of the entire sides and cut down on both sides of the row of Y bones after taking the ribs off. You end up with two complete fillets and it doesn't waste any meat.

This video shows what i'm talking about http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bcWyGrV0qao

I'm sure many people use both methods....I just like this one better for less wastage

I use this method as well. Works great.

mark-edmonton
01-23-2009, 02:30 PM
will try it next time. I hate waisting fish

Bassett
01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info moosehunter! I still havent caught a hardwater jack!!!

moosehunter3-0
01-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info moosehunter! I still havent caught a hardwater jack!!!

lots of fun to pull through the ice, just gotta get there head started in the hole, they like to dive back down as soon as you get them close

Tuc
01-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Moose, thanx man! I going to start fishing this year (in Alberta) and needed to see that.

I'm a Bluenoser but I don't know how to fillet fish. My grandad worked at Silver Seas fish plant in Halifax for quite a few years when he was young and was one of the best filleters they had working for them. He would fillet all the fish I brought home from the ocean or lake. I often watched him but could never seem to get the hang of it.
I wasn't too worried about it neither becuase he loved doing it all.
Grandad's gone now and I have to learn how to do it myself.......

Thanx again for the video!!