PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone's biggest fish on highwood river?

Krispy
07-27-2015, 10:23 PM
So this is a heartbreaking story for me
Which happened about 1 hour ago on the highwood river.
Fishing some pools under some small falls. I hooked the biggest trout I've ever caught. Probably about 5-7 pound rainbow. Absolutely gorgeous tank! Of course
I forget the net in the truck!!!! I ask the wife to grab my iPhone and take a quick snap. Of course as he's at my feet and I go to take the hook out, he gives one more last kick, snaps my line with my gold Johnson splinter lure hanging out of his lip. I was devastated! Not only for me but also for him, I'm strictly catch and release, and I know the highwood is 0 limit. But knowing he's an old specimen with a lure still stuck in his lip really upsets me. I hope he'll be alright! My own fault for forgetting the net really....
Anywho I just wanna know how big the bows really get in this river and would love to hear people's stories of big catches and even "the one that got away" unfortunately like myself tonight!
Ps. If anyone catches this pig, I'd like my lure back ;)
Cheers
Krispy

Chief16
07-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Only fished it once which was this weekend and lost a bulltrout about 30"

marty1
07-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Fishing some pools under some small falls. I hooked the biggest trout I've ever caught. Probably about 5-7 pound rainbow. Absolutely gorgeous tank! Of course
I forget the net in the truck!!!! I ask the wife to grab my iPhone and take a quick snap. Of course as he's at my feet and I go to take the hook out, he gives one more last kick, snaps my line with my gold Johnson splinter lure hanging out of his lip. I was devastated! Not only for me but also for him, I'm strictly catch and release, and I know the highwood is 0 limit. But knowing he's an old specimen with a lure still stuck in his lip really upsets me. I hope he'll be alright! My own fault for forgetting the net really....
Anywho I just wanna know how big the bows really get in this river and would love to hear people's stories of big catches and even "the one that got away" unfortunately like myself tonight!
Cheers
Krispy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that sucks man, those always hurt. The one day my wife were on the high wood , came across a bow that was at least 25+ inches we spotted him in a big pool cruising and sipping flys, so I told my wife not to cast and I'll set you up with a dry fly and I'll film it,so I put on atleast 4 different drys filming the whole time and nothing, so I put dry number 5 on and of course the tiny cdc caddis lands, he turns his head, and smack, we were both so surprised after working him for 15 min my instruction to help the wife stopped t fish straightened the hook out and we lost him, and of course by fly number five I gave up filming thinking that it wasn't going to happen,was just thrilled to see it happen for her,that would be the biggest bow I've seen in the river had really nice body mass wide accross the back could of weighed as much as 5 pounds.The bullys however get much bigger

Okotokian
07-28-2015, 10:08 AM
MY biggest fish on the highwood started out as a small to midsized rainbow. Was reeling him in when there was a sudden flash of silver and he was swallowed up by a much larger bull trout! First and only time that has happened to me. Worked him/them closer for a couple seconds but he broke off. DAMN! Lost both fish and fly.

HighRiver
07-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Caught a 3 poundish rainbow in High River directly across from Sobeys, right in town. If you're on the Highwood in town, be careful folks as I noticed some bad banks.

Krispy
07-28-2015, 11:34 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that sucks man, those always hurt. The one day my wife were on the high wood , came across a bow that was at least 25+ inches we spotted him in a big pool cruising and sipping flys, so I told my wife not to cast and I'll set you up with a dry fly and I'll film it,so I put on atleast 4 different drys filming the whole time and nothing, so I put dry number 5 on and of course the tiny cdc caddis lands, he turns his head, and smack, we were both so surprised after working him for 15 min my instruction to help the wife stopped t fish straightened the hook out and we lost him, and of course by fly number five I gave up filming thinking that it wasn't going to happen,was just thrilled to see it happen for her,that would be the biggest bow I've seen in the river had really nice body mass wide accross the back could of weighed as much as 5 pounds.The bullys however get much bigger

Damn man that really sucks, always the case as soon as that camera stops rolling tho! :( heard about the bully's too! Be sweet to catch a piggy!

Krispy
07-28-2015, 11:40 PM
MY biggest fish on the highwood started out as a small to midsized rainbow. Was reeling him in when there was a sudden flash of silver and he was swallowed up by a much larger bull trout! First and only time that has happened to me. Worked him/them closer for a couple seconds but he broke off. DAMN! Lost both fish and fly.

This has happened to a few people I know!!
What an experience!! Too bad you were unable to land both
That'd be some sweet story :)

retten
08-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Cheers
Krispy

20+ years ago under the tressel, early october snowing slightly, fishing a # 10 red ibis, something kept snapping my line and taking my flys.

changed up, snell hook, big worm, bam 8.5 bull on my crappy old scale, retrieved my 3 flys and let the beast go.

Have never caught another bull trout since, the color on that fish was amazing, they are beatiful hope they can make a comeback.