PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Boat Inspection

Speckle55
07-28-2015, 08:26 PM
As You come into Alberta the signs are up

Its the Law

Mandatory Boat Inspection

11 cases of mussels at our border mainly Medicine Hat/other stuff elsewhere:sign0068:

our Alberta Government Watercraft Inspectors are doing a great job:sHa_shakeshout:

I got the record:47b20s0: .... most inspections as they sign the back

They have a new tool their Landa ..hot water pressure cleaner
http://www.landa.com/ViewCategories.aspx?Pid=1326

enjoyed the inspection

Keeping Alberta waters clean

Thanks ladies

ps speaking of records got a couple pending .. update later

David:)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2015%20July%20Fishing/002_zpskccwlf7s.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2015%20July%20Fishing/003_zpsuln5uvj5.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2015%20July%20Fishing/004_zpsm6yogfyh.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2015%20July%20Fishing/007_zpsbsl8idke.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2015%20July%20Fishing/008_zps8i0rez1w.jpg

borchy
07-28-2015, 08:30 PM
Wow haven't been through one yet. What kinds of things are they inspecting/looking for?

Kokanee9
07-28-2015, 09:04 PM
I'm also glad that they are inspecting more boats!

Keep up the good work.

Speckle55
07-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Here is the website with info
http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/invasive-species/aquatic-invasive-species/watercraft-inspections.aspx

they chased down a few vehicles and turned them around (Sheriffs n RCMP):sign0013:

David:)

Wow haven't been through one yet. What kinds of things are they inspecting/looking for?

Mackinaw
07-28-2015, 10:43 PM
Got mine inspected on the way back from BC was A-OK while we were there a red and white wake boat went straight on by ....one of the privaledged I guess

Mack

58thecat
07-29-2015, 06:52 AM
Got mine inspected on the way back from BC was A-OK while we were there a red and white wake boat went straight on by ....one of the privaledged I guess

Mack

That's because the payments are too high and he can only trailer it one day a month, they know the type so don't even go after those land vessels:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Good to see that we have mandatory inspections

waterninja
07-29-2015, 07:31 AM
Seems like a good idea to me.
Good luck on the Record submissions Speckles.

Mackinaw
07-29-2015, 09:33 AM
That's because the payments are too high and he can only trailer it one day a month, they know the type so don't even go after those land vessels:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Good to see that we have mandatory inspections

Maybe with gas prices he never puts it in just driveway jewelry

Agree inspection are a good thing

Mack

Kim473
07-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Inspections are good.

Do they have a portable wash station with them and do you have to wash it down there, if something is there that they don't like ?

Popik
07-29-2015, 10:46 AM
They were inspecting this past weekend at Cold Lake as well. Very nice and informative ladies.

Kingfisher
07-30-2015, 07:31 AM
They also have roving inspection stations. There was one at Lower K last week. Got inspected there. They are looking for Urasion Millfoil from BC, and from the east they are looking for zebra mussels.

If millfoil gets into our lakes it is nasty and will choke out our lakes. Lots of lakes in BC have millfoil. Even one small piece will grow.

There is up to $100,00 fine for going past the check stop without stopping. The check stops are new as of April 2015, so I don't think they will charge anyone this year for not stopping. But going forward I think they will get tougher.
Bypassing an open inspection station while carrying a water-based vessel is in violation of the Fisheries Act and can result in fines to individuals of up to $100,000 or 12 months in prison, in addition to creative sentencing orders that may be issued to convicted persons at the discretion of the courts.

The inspection only takes a few minutes. They really try to be quick and efficient. The one's I have been in have been really good. They have been curtious and have not wanted to hold up anyone longer than they have to.

Joholio
07-30-2015, 08:08 AM
I got a nice beer(?) coozie too

The Fish whisperer
07-30-2015, 12:00 PM
I stopped coming back from saskatchewan last week. Simple, easy it took 15 min. Pretty minor to ensure our waters keep "clean". A guy flew past it when I was stopped, the gal told me they won't be chasing anyone down because the program is new but later in Aug they will be.

lannie
07-30-2015, 12:57 PM
They also have roving inspection stations. There was one at Lower K last week. Got inspected there. They are looking for Urasion Millfoil from BC, and from the east they are looking for zebra mussels.

If millfoil gets into our lakes it is nasty and will choke out our lakes. Lots of lakes in BC have millfoil. Even one small piece will grow.

There is up to $100,00 fine for going past the check stop without stopping. The check stops are new as of April 2015, so I don't think they will charge anyone this year for not stopping. But going forward I think they will get tougher.

The inspection only takes a few minutes. They really try to be quick and efficient. The one's I have been in have been really good. They have been curtious and have not wanted to hold up anyone longer than they have to.

I went through the Crowsnest Pass station at the scales and I was told 20% of people do not stop. They said unless the offender got lippy IF he/she was chased down nothing would happen. I wonder how many deflated rafts and other water craft completely hidden stop? End of this long weekend with the never ending traffic returning to the cities I would believe the line ups for inspections will be very long and many will just not bother.

Scott N
07-30-2015, 01:06 PM
I've asked this before, but was never able to find out a straight answer: If I have a float tube / belly boat, am I supposed to stop? I can't find the defination of "watercraft" as it applies to this.

Marty S
07-31-2015, 05:29 AM
Are they open 24 hours?

huntsfurfish
07-31-2015, 09:40 AM
I've asked this before, but was never able to find out a straight answer: If I have a float tube / belly boat, am I supposed to stop? I can't find the defination of "watercraft" as it applies to this.

Hi Scott! Best way might be to stop and ask at one of the stations. And probably would not hurt to stop anyway. It is a good question.

LCCFisherman
07-31-2015, 09:44 AM
Are they open 24 hours?

Yes Marty so don't take your dirty boat in the night :thinking-006:

wbaj
08-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Went through one coming back from Maligne.
Even though I never left the province I stopped anyway just to check it out.
Very friendly and knowledgable folks inspected my boat, trailer. Had a good discussion on what and where the high risk areas are. If your coming home from another province or the states please stop and get your boat checked, the consequences of introducing a foreign species in our waters can be devastating!

Mackinaw
08-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Went through one coming back from Maligne.
Even though I never left the province I stopped anyway just to check it out.
Very friendly and knowledgable folks inspected my boat, trailer. Had a good discussion on what and where the high risk areas are. If your coming home from another province or the states please stop and get your boat checked, the consequences of introducing a foreign species in our waters can be devastating!

Even if not Coming from another province you should stop....

Mack

deschambault
08-04-2015, 03:59 PM
I have been stopped coming from Sask and from BC. I asked the girl if BC or Sask was infected and she said no and the adjacent 5 states weren't infested either but that Manitoba and Ontario were both full of them. She said one guy has been disinfected three times - he travels from Manitoba.

Walnut999
08-04-2015, 09:08 PM
went to Duck Lake on the Blackfeet Reserve in Montana on the weekend. Sign at boat launch says $5000.00 fine if you are caught on water with out inspection certificate. Inspection station at st mary's was closed due to fire so had to go to East Glacier for inspection. Inspection certificate good only for 7 days then you must get boat inspected again. Inspection certificate is required for all watercraft, including kayaks, pontoons, belly boats,motor boats ,etc before launching on any reserve waterbody.

Kingfisher
08-06-2015, 12:31 AM
If any one has any questions in regards to the inspections here is a link where I quoted the information in a previous posting. http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/invasive-species/aquatic-invasive-species/watercraft-inspections.aspx

The inspections are not voluntary like some might like to believe. Just because you might have to pull off in busy traffic and be delayed 15 or 20 minutes that is not a good excuse. The watercraft check stations are manditory to stop at.

It's the Law!
The Alberta Government has recently enacted changes to legislation that will help to protect our provincial water bodies from of the infestation of aquatic invasive species. Effective immediately, when highway signage indicates that a watercraft inspection station is open, it is mandatory that all carriers of water-based vessels must report to the onsite inspectors to have their boats, trailers and other water-related equipment checked for invasive species such as the zebra and quagga mussels. It’s the law.

There is a phone number on that page that I quoted from in case anyone has questions. 1 855 336-BOAT (2628)