PDA

View Full Version : Medium heavy spinning rod suggestions

liv2fish
07-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a medium heavy spinning rod in 2 piece for trolling and fishing bigger pike and such. Any suggestions for a decent rod under $100? I was gonna go with another ugly stick but it seems they only make one piece in that set up

azn_rice_man
07-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Rapala had the Magnum series you can check out. $70-100 regular price.

Marty S
07-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I have a couple 4 ugly stick 7' MH rods. I bought them out if the USA for chum fishing the Kitimat.

Northern Yaker
07-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Abu Garcia Veritas or Quantum Accurist would be my choice.

bmckenney
07-29-2015, 12:44 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a medium heavy spinning rod in 2 piece for trolling and fishing bigger pike and such. Any suggestions for a decent rod under $100? I was gonna go with another ugly stick but it seems they only make one piece in that set up

There are a few ugly stiks that are two piece MH. Catfish series. Big Water series. But might have to be a special order from a Canadian retailer.

yetiseeker
07-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Bang for the buck - Ugly sticks - they take a beating and are reasonably sensitive. I've used mine for Salmon, Lake Trout, Steelhead fishing - work great for the money.

I also use the Shimano Clarus - 15-30 lbs for trolling. Good rods, fairly sensitive.

In the end, you'll spend $120 + for the Shimano, and $60 or so for the Ugly sticks.

If you're on a budget - Ugly stick IMO.

Joe Quiroga
07-29-2015, 02:51 PM
The Ugly Stik GX2 is a two piece M/H rod. I use it myself, very happy with it. :)

Marty S
07-30-2015, 07:15 AM
That's right, I forgot, two of my ugly sticks are catfish rods. Im pretty sure I seen them at Bass Pro before, usually sold as a combo with some garbage reel. They are white.

liv2fish
07-30-2015, 08:08 AM
The gx2 does not come in two piece m/h. Only one piece. I checked their website. I never thought of the catfish rods. I may have to look into that. I have a med ugly stick and have had it for probably 15 years and loved it. She's a little worse for wear now. That's why I wanted another ugly stick as quoted they are best bang for buck as far as I see under $100. Thanks for the insight guys

Joe Quiroga
07-30-2015, 08:21 AM
The gx2 does not come in two piece m/h. Only one piece. I checked their website. I never thought of the catfish rods. I may have to look into that. I have a med ugly stick and have had it for probably 15 years and loved it. She's a little worse for wear now. That's why I wanted another ugly stick as quoted they are best bang for buck as far as I see under $100. Thanks for the insight guys

Not sure what to tell you but my GX2 says right on it medium/heavy and it's two pieces :confused:

Must be a discontinued model or something.

liv2fish
07-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Ya I'm guessing its an older model. I never dreamed they would not make it in that setup. I was quite disappointed. Searched high and low for one.

DocMcgillicuddy
07-30-2015, 08:39 AM

The GX2 two piece is available at wholesale sports for 49.99. 6'6" MH. They've got about 5 left in Calgary at the moment.

liv2fish
07-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Oh really?! That may be the only place I have not looked. I'll check it out on my lunch break.

EZM
07-30-2015, 10:48 AM
There are some substantially better rods if you are looking around the $100 mark for a high quality rod compared to a parabolic action, somewhat insensitive rod like an ugly stick. They are bullet proof and great rods - but the technology is old and outdated - there are far better (stronger and more sensitive) and lighter materials out there that only cost a little more. lYou get what you pay for.

I would go with a Fenwick or St.Croix at that price point - without hesitation.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-hmg/1363884.html#start=1

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Fishing/Rods/Spinning-Rods/Triumph-Spinning-Rods/p/251113B

Both there rods are $99 at Wholesale right now.

Kurt505
07-30-2015, 11:20 AM
There are some substantially better rods if you are looking around the $100 mark for a high quality rod compared to a parabolic action, somewhat insensitive rod like an ugly stick. They are bullet proof and great rods - but the technology is old and outdated - there are far better (stronger and more sensitive) and lighter materials out there that only cost a little more. lYou get what you pay for.

I would go with a Fenwick or St.Croix at that price point - without hesitation.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-hmg/1363884.html#start=1

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Fishing/Rods/Spinning-Rods/Triumph-Spinning-Rods/p/251113B

Both there rods are $99 at Wholesale right now.

I have both of the above rods, well I have the HMG and I bought my son the Triumph for passing this year, I like the feel of the Triumph better myself, bang for your buck I think it's a better value than an ugly stick. For the $30 more you sure make a big jump in quality and sensitivity. Jmo.

bmckenney
07-30-2015, 11:36 AM
I have a St Croix Triumph 2 piece spin rod that I use for river casting and jigging for coho. Bought it after a few years of using guide provided client rods (ugly stiks etc) and I wanted to see if a technically better rod would be an improvement. I can't say with certainty it helped catch more fish but I feel like it did because casting accuracy was better and so was sensitivity for picking up coho takes on the jig. To me it was a worthwhile upgrade over the guide provided client rods. When I need a new rod, I always look at the St Croix Triumph's for an option. If you can get the right rod out of the models available and the price is not much more than $100, and you fish quite a bit, it's worth it. It's a technically better and more modern rod than a stik as stated above.

liv2fish
07-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Went to wholesale sports and quantities were limited. The mh ugly stiks were only one piece. The triumphs didn't come in a mh at this time. I have a st Croix premiere in med lite and i know its well worth the money. Just didn't want to spend that kind of money on this one. They might have had that Fenwick but I knew nothing about them and have never heard any thing good or bad about them. The guy working didn't have alot to say. So I got the one piece ugly stick because I know what to expect from it as its not my first ugly stick.