PDA

View Full Version : fishing around cold lake

7 REM MAG
07-30-2015, 07:21 PM
hey everyone, i was invited to spend the weekend in cold lake with a friends family, never spent much time up there however i was hoping for fishing info on the area, we likely won't have a boat so i was looking for any possibilities from fishing from shore, or rivers/streams in the area that might hold fish.
thx

Gerv
07-31-2015, 11:53 AM
I sometimes see people fishing from shore on the beaver river where the highway crosses it south of cold lake. Lots of people fish off of the bridge over the thinlake river where it dumps into moose lake at the entrance to the franchere bay campground. Small pike and the occasional walleye, lots of weeds though.

Kurt505
07-31-2015, 12:09 PM
Often times I see people fishing off the dock at the provincial park and catching pike, my neighbor mentioned to me that he witnessed a guy catch a 25-30lb lake trout off the dock at the marina right in Cold Lake. There are many lakes and streams around there, most all of them hold fish. Cold Lake area is a huge area, a little more info would help in getting you some more specific advise.

7 REM MAG
07-31-2015, 12:15 PM
They have rented a cabin right on cold lake, i believe it's called north bay cabin rentals or something like that

Levy
07-31-2015, 12:58 PM
Often times I see people fishing off the dock at the provincial park and catching pike, my neighbor mentioned to me that he witnessed a guy catch a 25-30lb lake trout off the dock at the marina right in Cold Lake. There are many lakes and streams around there, most all of them hold fish. Cold Lake area is a huge area, a little more info would help in getting you some more specific advise.

I could be wrong but I thought there were no fishing signs on the dock at the Provincial park on Cold Lake. I also believe there are restrictions on where you can fish at the Marina. If you fish on the Marina I would bring a fifteen foot long net because its a heck of a distance to pull a fish out of the water and up. Picking up a larger fish by the line may injure it enough to kill it or snap your line.

The medley river is stocked with rainbow trout and if you do a little hiking you may be able to hit some rainbows. Bring bear spray. I saw a lot of sign last time i was there and had a very close encounter with a Beaver. There is also the Beaver River but the good fishing spots are usually pretty close guarded secrets. I agree that the Thin River can be good but it could be pretty choked with weeds right now as mentioned above. It did look higher than usual the last time I drove by a couple of weeks ago. I have also caught some nice pike on Moose creek where the 660 crosses but i have never fished it this late in the season.

Kurt505
07-31-2015, 01:08 PM
I could be wrong but I thought there were no fishing signs on the dock at the Provincial park on Cold Lake. I also believe there are restrictions on where you can fish at the Marina. If you fish on the Marina I would bring a fifteen foot long net because its a heck of a distance to pull a fish out of the water and up. Picking up a larger fish by the line may injure it enough to kill it or snap your line.

The medley river is stocked with rainbow trout and if you do a little hiking you may be able to hit some rainbows. Bring bear spray. I saw a lot of sign last time i was there and had a very close encounter with a Beaver. There is also the Beaver River but the good fishing spots are usually pretty close guarded secrets. I agree that the Thin River can be good but it could be pretty choked with weeds right now as mentioned above. It did look higher than usual the last time I drove by a couple of weeks ago. I have also caught some nice pike on Moose creek where the 660 crosses but i have never fished it this late in the season.

To be honest I'm not sure about the restrictions on shore fishing at Cold lake, I just know that I saw a fellow a couple weeks back on the pp dock saying he was catching pike steady off the dock there, and as far as the marina in town goes, I've never been there in my life. There very well could be signs up, I've never noticed. I just launch or load my boat there.

-JR-
07-31-2015, 04:55 PM
There is a guy that lives in cold lake that will take you out in his boat for $20-$30 an hour . Can't beat that ! Seen his add on Cold lake kijji.

Levy
08-02-2015, 01:07 PM
To be honest I'm not sure about the restrictions on shore fishing at Cold lake, I just know that I saw a fellow a couple weeks back on the pp dock saying he was catching pike steady off the dock there, and as far as the marina in town goes, I've never been there in my life. There very well could be signs up, I've never noticed. I just launch or load my boat there.

You can fish off shore but not off the dock at PP. I also believe you are allowed to fish off the warf at the Marina but are not allowed to swim or fish in the marina.

bass2mouth
08-03-2015, 05:36 PM
little bear lake...