PDA

View Full Version : is it safe?

hockeyfish
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
is it safe to drive on the ice with all this warm weather?....i'm sure the snow would insulate most of the ice but i just wanted to make sure

Bassett
01-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Dad I went out to pigeon and at the provincial park there was about 40 trucks driving on, we went to check the ice at zeiner and we didnt like ice was cracking, actually at one point dad was getting ify about it so we pulled off. We didnt see many big dodges driving but in a smaller car/truck I think it would be fine.

If you really want the perfect answer I would call fish and game in the area that controls the lake.

Just my thoughts, Bass.

hockeyfish
01-19-2009, 08:01 PM
thanks...i'll probly tell my dad to take the car instead of the truck when we go

Jester
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Is the ice safe?

Well I guess that would depend on where you live,how long has it been warm and how warm and also on how thick the ice was to begin with.

anyhoo...play safe and have fun.:wave:

slingshotz
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I've read that it's not the temperatures in the day you have to worry about, it's the nighttime temperatures. If it's above zero in the day, it mostly glazes the top layer of ice, the long nighttime temperatures is what really makes the ice solid. If the temps rise above zero at night, then the ice really starts melting and you have to watch out.

The sound of the ice cracking is actually supposed to be good as it means that the water is freezing. As water freezes it expands and thus causes the ice to crack as pressure builds, although it is a very unnerving sound.

Others with more experience on the ice might correct me though, I'm always learning the ways of hard water.

nicemustang
01-19-2009, 09:14 PM
I think that's pretty close. A couple days of warm weather during the day shouldn't hurt the ice conditions if they are over 12" thick, as long as it still freezing temps at night.

flaminjo
01-19-2009, 09:46 PM
well, what i know is, that any ice which is thicker that 15" is quite safe to drive a normal truck

slingshotz
01-19-2009, 11:22 PM
One more point to mention is that the really clear ice is the best, just a bit freaky looking down as it seems like you are standing on 1" of ice. From what I've read, if it's cloudy ice it means it's full of air bubbles so 12" of that ice is really only 6" of good ice.