PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo Perch Fishing

PerchBuster
08-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Had some great success this long weekend. The bite was Hot with the full moon and the Perch were aggressive. Sometimes they just have to be in the right frame of mind. Perch are easy to catch, but Big Perch are often a lot tougher. People around us weren't catching anything so presentation and correct bait is a key element to success rather than snuggling up close to our boat as the whole area was holding fish. Once you're dialled in though the bites come fast and furious. We harvested these all in about an hour and a half and threw just as many good ones back for good Karma. Largest here was 12-3/4". We had many double headers going and lots of quick strikes as soon as we dropped down to them. Got to love it when a plan all comes together. Hope you enjoy the pics.

PerchBuster
08-03-2015, 07:27 AM

PerchBuster
08-03-2015, 07:28 AM

Astrocyte
08-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Awesome. Were you using maggots?

waterninja
08-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Congrats on a great haul of perch.

Destiny1
08-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Where were you fishing and how do you fish for perch?

Game Hunter
08-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Where were you fishing and how do you fish for perch?

That my friend you will have a hard time figuring out.
I usually use small 1/8 oz jigs, small spoons, cast masters, Swedish pimples, etc.
If your catching lots I small guys go up a size to help weed out what you don't want.
Check the Barry Mitchell or fishing guide to see what lake holds what, then try it out. Even having a bit of maggots, minnows, (cheese strings!) kids showed me
Bacon :) works good

PerchBuster
08-03-2015, 03:13 PM
On this trip it was a small slip bobber rig with a tiny ice jig, a mealworm and 2 or 3 Maggots to cover the hook. Next trip who knows, could be a 5 of diamonds lol, it's always an experiment. But on days like this when you can figure out a good pattern quickly it sure can pay off in a hurry!

Game Hunter
08-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks for sharing your mother load.
They look very plump, nice to fillet I bet.
Congrats on finding your spot x
GH

Destiny1
08-03-2015, 04:26 PM
I bet they were nice to fillet. I think I will try some perch fishing in Skeleton lake next weekend. Will bring some minnows for bait and jig them on a 1/8 ounce like buddy was saying. Thanks for the tips guys never caught a perch yet. I bet they taste good!

Fishslayer99
08-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Those are some beautiful fish, congrats!

08-04-2015, 10:46 PM

Very nice perch.

Mangosteen
08-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Very nice perch

PerchBuster
08-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Another good trip. Not quite as good as the last one but quite happy with the results considering the bite was a lot tougher. Some nice fish, very plump and thick across the back. Had to finesse them and change tactics quite a bit to catch this bunch. One things for sure, they gonna be tasty! Hope you enjoy the pic

PerchBuster
09-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Still getting a few here and there for the deep fryer, action should start picking up in a couple weeks I think. Water temps are dropping so they'll be putting on the feed bag for winter.

EZM
09-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Perchbuster - go to your i-phones (or device's) location (GeoTags) data and change it so your metadata/exif is turned off ......... if you don't want people to know exactly where the photo was taken within a few meters. FYI

Secret spots don't exist when uploading from a mobile device without making sure that tag is off.

PerchBuster
09-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Perchbuster - go to your i-phones (or device's) location (GeoTags) data and change it so your metadata/exif is turned off ......... if you don't want people to know exactly where the photo was taken within a few meters. FYI

Secret spots don't exist when uploading from a mobile device without making sure that tag is off.

Thanks for the tip on that EZM. Might come in handy one day. As for all of these pics I don't think anybody will have any luck fishing for them in my buddies driveway. That location is only where the fishing trips begin and end. Perhaps even more secretive than locations are the tactics I've refined over the past 25 years to catch them and that only comes with experience and lots of time on the water.

Superfisher
09-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Sorry to bother you with this but I have never ever caught a sing perch in my life.
Do you know of any good lakes or ponds in the zone PP2, cause I have tried some lakes and ponds with perch but nothing 😕.

Anyway, to all of you good luck catching those large ones.

PerchBuster
09-14-2015, 05:50 PM
9 from this past weekend. Top 6 in the pic were all nice size males. Fat little buggers. Really hard to catch them! Very shy bite. Had to be totally stealth and finesse otherwise didn't have a shot to catch them. Had to dig deep into the old bag of tricks to get these ones.

PerchBuster
09-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Hers the pic