PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing North Sask

Smokey
01-19-2009, 08:21 PM
This is curiosity question, but do people fish the North Sask. I know people ice fish rivers, and there are highways that run in winter time on rivers such as the South Sask, Just want to know, although I think I would be very reluctant to fish a river of its size.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-19-2009, 10:03 PM
This is curiosity question, but do people fish the North Sask. I know people ice fish rivers, and there are highways that run in winter time on rivers such as the South Sask, Just want to know, although I think I would be very reluctant to fish a river of its size.

Wouldnt catch me as the North Saskatchewan is a pretty fast moving water body.

Big.Bear
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM

I have never ice fished a river and don't think I ever will. To risky.

Bassett
01-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I have never ice fished a river and don't think I ever will. To risky.

x2 tooooo risky!

mauserman
01-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Also illegal, you are not allowed to ice fish on rivers ,streams, beaverdams. it's in the regs

OOPS!! incorrect info, please disregard.

Izumi
01-20-2009, 08:56 AM
This seems to be a common mistake. Read closer

Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or b) into flowing waters in Zone 1.

mauserman
01-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I stand corrected. My only intent was to help prevent a problem.
Thanks for the headsup Izumi.:wave:

Izumi
01-20-2009, 10:11 AM
No problem, like I has said in my original post, this seems to be a common mistake.

TundraBuck
01-20-2009, 06:10 PM
No problem, like I has said in my original post, this seems to be a common mistake.

Yep, and alot of people don't take advantage. Look at Manitoba, and in the US. A TON of people ice fish on rivers. Obviously you wont be fishing the main river on a big one such as the NSR, find some backwater or a smaller river. I have ice fished a few rivers and actually done fairly well. Drop-shot rigs work well if you do decide to try it.

muzzy
01-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Tundra the red river that flows thru winnipeg is as big as the NSR with about same flow and it gets tons of ice fishing on it

TundraBuck
01-21-2009, 01:23 AM
Tundra the red river that flows thru winnipeg is as big as the NSR with about same flow and it gets tons of ice fishing on it

As long as ice conditions permit, but without anyone else venturing onto the NSR in front of me I wouldn't be straying out too far.

keeks
01-21-2009, 08:36 AM

You are right, but the Red is a much deeper river. This allows thicker ice to form. I remember driving the ice road from Lockport way north of Selkirk, and there were shanty towns on the hot holes.

I live in Devon, and the NSR is open west of the bridge. Not sure I'd want to even walk on there, never mind drive on it.

k

dogboy
01-22-2009, 11:50 PM
the NSR is to shalow to get thick ice on it unles you know wher the deep spots maybe.
it might work but id be dam carfull

goober
01-23-2009, 12:18 AM
I fished the NSR once on a whim through the ice with a guide. Needless to say the guide company is no more and I can understand why. I began questioning the whole operation right from the get go when they were about to drive out on to the ice in a 4x4 truck!! Once we WALKED on to the ice and began to rig up they tried putting on a flipping Shad Rap as a hook! I asked them if I was just suppose to open the bail and let it go in the current or what, to which they responded oh I meant to give you a jig. After looking at the gear they had I laughed to myself and rigged up a partial/semi split shot rig.We had 2 straight hours of nothing before they admitted that they had no clue what they were doing. One of them had some experience fishing, but just casual fun at the family cabin. College kid's trying to make a quick buck! I have never tried ice fishing a river since! Not even on my own as the ice levels were creepy!!!

cujo1969
01-23-2009, 12:45 AM
We ice fished lower bow before caught a few pike biggest was 20+lbs.

FisherPotch
01-29-2009, 02:09 AM
I've ice fished the NSR about half a dozen times in the last three seasons. U want to know the water that is for sure. Have not gotten into any eye's yet but some decent pike.

CountryRoadz
01-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I would suggest trying one of the great fishing lakes in Alberta or Saskatchewan

fishunter77
01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I would love to try the North Sask. in winter. I never have due to the strong current and ice conditions. I don't think it is very safe!!!

Late summer has been very productive for Catch and Release. Every species in the river is avaliable in Edmonton and surrounding areas.

I am sure someone has tried it during winter. It is a great fishery for Catch and Release.