PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance elite 3x. Thoughts?

Grmpy
08-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Anybody have experience with one of these or know someone whos running one? I'm looking for a basic unit on the cheap side for my canoe.

Sitkaspruce
08-04-2015, 07:58 PM
I have the all season 3x portable and so far, no complaints. Does what I want it to do; shows bottom, bait and sometimes the fish....if you believe they are fish.

Cheers

SS

Sumara
08-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I recently bought a elite 4x which isn't much different. Maybe a slightly better resolution and picture and it gets the job done. Shows the bottom, weeds, bait and what looks like the odd fish (i hope). For something on the cheaper end the 3x should be what you're looking for.

aulrich
08-05-2015, 09:34 AM
It should work fine, I run a mix of Hummingbird(older 343c and lowrance Mark 4) I like the color HB better but that could be more of that a color screen is a little easier to read but to me it seemed the lowrance took more fiddling to get working.

Even though your putting it in a canoe I would recommend against a dedicated portable. Back in the day I ran a dedicated portable in my car topper and it was always in the way. My yak has basically replaced the car topper and the ram mounts I use now to hold the sounder make it way more convenient to use, less intrusive and in case of a dump, more secure. Even a home built mount will do loads better than a backpack at your feet.

Learning how to set and read the sounder is another thread.