PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for goldeye red deer river

Maximas
08-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone, I was thinking of taking my kids fishing for goldeyes this weekend. Havent been fishing for year now but though the little ones would have fun getting goldeyes.

I used to fish them with maggots along the red deer river but cant remember where to go or how to get there from Calgary, its been over 15 years.

Could someone help me with some directions on getting to a good fishing spot for goldeye from Calgary, I read PP2 fishing are maggots are allowed.

please help.

thanks in advance

hk

FreshAirGetter
08-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Double-check the regs, but I'm sure if you're below Tolman bridge you can actually use minnows too. If I were you targeting them with kids, I'd just get a tub of minnows, a pickerel rig (nobody comment on that please:thinking-006: ), and stop at the closest bridge from Calgary towards the Red Deer River.

Maximas
08-06-2015, 04:21 PM
So where would I head to get to the red deer river, where would be the closest town? Sorry as I said it been years since.

Hydro1
08-06-2015, 04:26 PM
So where would I head to get to the red deer river, where would be the closest town? Sorry as I said it been years since.

Drumheller area, bait is allowed. I think it would be the shortest drive for you.

Maximas
08-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Looking at google, it looks like Drumheller is the nearest place to fish and the regs mention Maggots are the only baits allowed. I may stick with just maggots to be safe.

Another question if anyone here know, if Im only going to put bait on for my two yung kids 9 and 7 do I need a fishing lic? Im also going with an older gentlemen who is 65. I don't have a fishing lic and figure it may be a waste to get it now that the fishing season for us is almost over. Is it legal to just let the old friend and kids fish and I help them with bait and handling the fish once they get it?

FreshAirGetter
08-06-2015, 04:40 PM
I don't know the area very well, but I do have the Barry Mitchell Alberta Fishing Guide (I highly recommend it - a great resource with a map of each area). Shows crossings at Drumheller, Tolman bridge, or along Hwy 36. If I were you I'd just start at Drumheller being as it's the closest, then if you don't get any bites work your way either up or downstream (with your vehicle, just go to the next crossing). If you don't have the Alberta Fishing Guide, then Google Earth/Maps can help, just a little trickier to use (to see all the crossings anyway).

At a quick glance in the guide, it crosses at Drumheller. Going downstream there's another crossing on Hwy 10 not far, Hwy 548/10 not much further, and 862. Upstream crosses Hwy 27, 585, and 590. Those should be enough to keep you occupied ;-) Oh I double-checked the regs, you can use minnows from Tolman to the border, so any of these locations are fine to use what you want.

Who Da Fisherman
08-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Try using grasshoppers too, had good luck in the past and best of all they are free 😀
WDF

bagwan
08-06-2015, 08:39 PM
My cousin camped just west of Morrin along the River a couple days ago and said some people were catching goldeye and also a few pike. Theres a rather large campdite there as well if you;re camping.

KegRiver
08-06-2015, 11:03 PM
There are Goldeye in the Bow, the Oldman and the South Saskatkibush rivers.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/search/zone/PP1/fish/goldeye

I used to catch them in the Red Deer just east of the city of Red Deer.

I've caught them on small spiners like the Mepps, on small spoons and of course on baits.
Just about everybait I've tried worked. I've tried Earth Worms, Maggots, Grasshoppers, Red meat, trimmings from other fish and I've caught them on dry flies.

Fish the eddies close to the surface. Right on the current break seems to work the best. But any slow deep water will do.

Maximas
08-07-2015, 01:56 AM
Thank you all for your directions and suggestions.

I got maggots and some hooks etc. from Canadian tire. We are planning on heading out Sunday morning to druheller and follow the Red deer river. This will be the first time my kids will be fishing, that is why ive focus on goldeyes lots and easy to catch to keep kids attention. Im hoping this will start them on a lifetime of fishing adventure and they will like it to continue. I hope I don't screw up their this first time for them and turn them off fishing for life....LOL.

Much appreciate all the help.

fishstix
08-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Drumheller has a great spot below and downstream of the bridge beside the big t Rex. My 4 yo caught her first fish there.

bwackwabbit
08-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Bring lots of snacks/drinks as its supposed to be warm.

Have a backup plan if fishing is slow (nature walk, fossil hunt, bird watching to name a few).

And don't forget some portable seating.

Noble intentions you have, patience is what you will need.

Good luck and Tight Lines for all!

recce43
08-07-2015, 08:32 AM
the red deer river is very low right now. you can walk most of the river from the ferry to drum .

Thundercatcher
08-07-2015, 05:43 PM
What setup do you use catching goldeye with maggots?

bwackwabbit
08-07-2015, 08:10 PM
What setup do you use catching goldeye with maggots?
I use a small Mustad octopus hook (pink) below a slip float. Once you find the depth they like watch out!

Isopod
08-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Another question if anyone here know, if Im only going to put bait on for my two yung kids 9 and 7 do I need a fishing lic? Im also going with an older gentlemen who is 65. I don't have a fishing lic and figure it may be a waste to get it now that the fishing season for us is almost over. Is it legal to just let the old friend and kids fish and I help them with bait and handling the fish once they get it?

I don't know for certain, but I would think that if you were baiting hooks and releasing fish, you would be considered to be fishing and would need a license.

Maximas
08-08-2015, 09:25 AM
I think you may be right Isopd, I think to be on the safe side I will just pay for the win and fishing lic for the one time use this year.

Great info on being able to catch the fish off the bridge near the big trex, we were there last week and kids had blast palying in the water...plan B.

Great folks here, thanks again everyone!

hookset
08-08-2015, 01:05 PM
From Drumheller and fished here all my life. Catch lots of gold eye in spring and late fall not so many now during mid summer. Still some around but not the numbers like in spring and fall. Usually just catch them on spinners or small spoons, biggest thing is water clarity if theres even a chance to use lures.

Morrin bridge lots of camping spots and good for gold eye.

Right now from rain the other day the waters like chocolate milk so bait would be your only option.

Good luck

Maximas
08-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Have anyone tried fishing Goldeyes lately? Im just concern that catching frequency may not be great and I cant keep the kids attention for long if that is the case.

Maximas
08-08-2015, 03:36 PM
I think you may be right Hookset, 10 plus years ago I've always caught tons in the fall and spring from what I remember. Now Im a bit concern that the numbers wont be there for the kids....Damn lol.

Joe Quiroga
08-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Well hopefully your trip was better than mine lol.

http://s8.postimg.org/6hcypqiph/IMAG0073.jpg

As stated above, like fishing in chocolate milk :sHa_sarcasticlol:

And no I did not keep these lol.

KegRiver
08-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Well hopefully your trip was better than mine lol.

http://s8.postimg.org/6hcypqiph/IMAG0073.jpg

As stated above, like fishing in chocolate milk :sHa_sarcasticlol:

And no I did not keep these lol.

Oh you caught a couple of Chub ! That tells me you were fishing the bottom. Try close to the surface, you'll avoid the chub and your bait will be closer to where the Goldeye prefer to hunt.

Joe Quiroga
08-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Oh you caught a couple of Chub ! That tells me you were fishing the bottom. Try close to the surface, you'll avoid the chub and your bait will be closer to where the Goldeye prefer to hunt.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out Saturday :)

KegRiver
08-09-2015, 06:27 PM
:)

Maximas
08-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Damn, my worse fear was had this Sunday, 4 hours with the kids and not a single fish...kids nagging to go home the entire time.

My daughter said she never wants to go fishing again....Not what I was hoping for for them!

Fishing was a total bust!!!

I will need to go a few times on my own and see if I can figure this out before taking kids again.....very sad.

pinelakeperch
08-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Damn, my worse fear was had this Sunday, 4 hours with the kids and not a single fish...kids nagging to go home the entire time.

My daughter said she never wants to go fishing again....Not what I was hoping for for them!

Fishing was a total bust!!!

I will need to go a few times on my own and see if I can figure this out before taking kids again.....very sad.

Go to Pine Coulee...