PDA

View Full Version : A good beginners Rod and Reel setup for fishing river, lakes and ponds

TanksNHank
08-06-2015, 04:15 PM
So I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fishing as I've only done a little fly fishing (by fly fishing I mean standing in the river and tossing a line). I did do a lesson and have been out a couple of times.

I enjoy the time by the river but want to maybe increase my rods of actually catching a fish and maybe mix it up a little so I'm thinking of getting a conventional rod and reel.

So here's where I'm stuck is that I have no idea what kind of setup to even begin looking at. How long of rod? What kind of reel? What kind of line? What kind of bait?

I'm hoping maybe you guys could point me in the right direction.

Stally77
08-06-2015, 09:43 PM
http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-eagle/1363879.html#start=4

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger-reels-spinning-reels/1280293.html#start=1

This is one I just purchased recently its a decent setup imho. Caught my first Brown trout. Must be the rod LOL

Luxor
08-06-2015, 09:57 PM
I dont know where you live so Im going to give you the best advice I can.

Go to a fly shop and tell them you are new and would like a set up.

Most places are more than happy to take the time and run you through the process.

They'll let you try some rods and show you a little casting technique and give you some flies.

Take a fews hours and try it.

Call some shops first to see what they'll do for you.

good luck

Dak1138
08-07-2015, 04:49 AM
I dont know where you live so Im going to give you the best advice I can.

Go to a fly shop and tell them you are new and would like a set up.

Most places are more than happy to take the time and run you through the process.

They'll let you try some rods and show you a little casting technique and give you some flies.

Take a fews hours and try it.

Call some shops first to see what they'll do for you.

good luck

So do you suggest he buy a Pfluger as well?
I have a President and it is a a nice reel and so is my Pfluger Trion. I have them paired up with a Shimano Voltaeus ( which is not made anymore I think) and an old style Shimano Sojourn.
I think for what you are doing I would suggest the Trion/Sojourn combo. With some line it may be around $100.
I also have a couple of cheap Diawas that I bought to lend to people that seem to work ok as well.
I don't want you to spend too much on the spinning gear because once you do get your fly rod figured out your other gear will not be used too often.
If you can wait until the end of the month The Fishin' Hole has their wall to wall sale and you can save some decent money then.

TanksNHank
08-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the tips fellas headed out to try my luck again.