PDA

View Full Version : Scratch on off the bucket list (Flat head catfish Lockport , MB)

aulrich
08-10-2015, 08:57 AM
So years ago when I moved away from Winnipeg where I grew up fishing for channel cats at Lockport was just taking off and hearing the stories of 20-35 pound fish stacked like cord wood has had me drooling for years. But yesterday I finally pulled one up. I was off for a quick visit with my folks and siblings and as it turned out I was able a couple of hours between events to go wet a line. And it’s a good thing I did not bring a lot of light gear for the kids, because I had forgotten what it was like taking sub 10 year olds fishing between getting fish off and re rigging (the rocky heavy current just eats gear) my rod was standing unused for most of the time and really if the kids are having fun it’s always a win.

But after I ran out of gear for the kids they let me have a turn, I toss in and it’s not thirty seconds before I feel a bite and I set the hook at first I think it is just a snag but then the snag takes line and even with my old 9’ medium heavy bar fishing rod ( that I used for Salmon fishing in BC held on to and hauled to Winnipeg years ago for just this purpose) it still takes 10-15 min to get this one on the shore, no scale or tape measure I would call mid twenties a safe estimate.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/aulrich/winnipegcat2015.jpg

Poppa
08-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Great pics and great story!! I'm from Pinawa, originally, and fished Lockport a little bit, but never pulled up a Cat. Heading home in 3 weeks to do some fishing and golfing, so maybe I'll make my way to the Red for a bit and see what we can find...

aulrich
08-10-2015, 10:25 AM
I would say it's worth the try, with the goldeye running there are tones of big cats in front of the lock, the day before (and the inspiration to head out) I watch 2 guys pull out 4 20lb + in about 30 min. They were throwing 1” goldeye steaks but I just threw 4 oz’s of lead and 2 nightcrawlers. Out of a boat would be ideal at Lockport, saves the gear and avoids the combat fishing along the shore.

On a side note I have family with cabins of lake Nutimik and they were talking on how the Winnipeg river is 9’ above normal.

Mind you 50+ inch sturgeon is still on the bucket list. And we won’t say anything about the 28” walleye through the ice 6 miles onto Lake Winnipeg I might have to visit the folks without the wife more often :).

saskpikeman
08-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a channel cat. No flatheads at Lockport.

aulrich
08-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Nice catch, you are correct, I must of had a brain cramp

Poppa
08-10-2015, 04:31 PM
I would say it's worth the try, with the goldeye running there are tones of big cats in front of the lock, the day before (and the inspiration to head out) I watch 2 guys pull out 4 20lb + in about 30 min. They were throwing 1” goldeye steaks but I just threw 4 oz’s of lead and 2 nightcrawlers. Out of a boat would be ideal at Lockport, saves the gear and avoids the combat fishing along the shore.

On a side note I have family with cabins of lake Nutimik and they were talking on how the Winnipeg river is 9’ above normal.

Mind you 50+ inch sturgeon is still on the bucket list. And we won’t say anything about the 28” walleye through the ice 6 miles onto Lake Winnipeg I might have to visit the folks without the wife more often :).Lotta sturgeon being pulled up at Nutamik this summer, from what I've been reading on ManitobaFishingForum.com, which is great to see. I grew up fishing that entire stretch of Wpg River, from Seven Sisters east out toward Ontario. Such a great fishery. And yes, the Lake Winnipeg walleye are legendary indeed. We have a cabin at Victoria Beach on LW, and catch a lot of walleye, perch, silver bass (drum) and white bass...these 'Bertans don't know what they're missing with all these little trout in their tiny streams out here...ha ha! :sHa_shakeshout:

tight line
08-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Nice! Congrats!

omega50
08-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the pics and story.
Better place for you and the kids off the grass on the other side and above the locks. Way less combat fishing-enter across from skinners and head East to the water

Winch101
08-10-2015, 07:17 PM
20 plus for sure .....I can still remember the smell of the Red ..
You may have to burn your equipment . Did you go to the half
Moon for a great hot dog after .

Lefty-Canuck
08-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Nice! I caught a couple decent cats last week when I was our near Brandon-Carberry for 3d Nationals. Are they ever strong!

Fishing rules are so different there....live frogs, legal....yellow perch caught while angling, legal....gold-eye steaks....legal.

Talked to two young wardens, great guys.... even found a wild boar wallow near a river! They told us we could shoot one if we were 300m off the road :)

LC

CK Angler
08-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Right on! Nice fish! I grew up in Winnipeg so this brings back memories!

Cheers !