PDA

View Full Version : My setup for Koocanusa...any tips on species other than kokanee there?

Greg1971
08-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Hey all,

Heading to Koocanusa in a week or so and have a pretty solid kokanee rig. Downrigger, with a willowleaf / small flasher / dodger / ---> snubber---> short 12" leader ---> followed by either a tiny Apex / wedding ban / hoochie(a bit of scent thrown on the flasher / dodger / lure...a piece of fire corn as bait...maybe a small piece of worm on the wedding band)

What I am curious about is going after other fish there. I know there are big bull trout and rainbows. Any tips on going after them? I am sure they will be down deep with the hot temps but was hopeful someone could point me in the right direction as far as trolling technique and tackle.

Thanks for any tips!

Greg

bschlinker
08-11-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm still learning how to fish Koocanusa myself as this has proven to be a difficult fishery for me to figure out. I've had decent success catching Kokanee's and rainbows using small spoons and spinners (they seem to like orange or yellow) but all fish have been caught near the surface while trolling. I've tried fishing 30-40 feet of water but after a few half-days without a single bite, I always find myself going back to fishing near the surface to at least have a little fun. I usually fish from the area of Wardner to the campground and have caught fish throughout the day, but morning and evenings are definitely better (and less ski boats to deal with). Perhaps going further South will provide better luck? Friends of mine have had some good success catching decent size bulls this year, but all of them have been in the river section north of Wardner.

Hope this helps? If you do have any luck on your trip pls. PM me and let me know.

walleyejunkie
08-13-2015, 05:58 AM
hey there.. I,m heading to the koocanusa resort marina on the US side aug 18-21 to meet family and will be fishing it for the first time . ill let you know how the fishing went . we are then heading back into BC to fish lower arrow.kootney lake and any lake around there .good luck