PDA

View Full Version : Quantum quality and warranty

Kurt505
08-11-2015, 05:15 PM
I bought two Quantum Catalyst pti 30 reels last year, on the weekend my son caught a 9lb lake trout with his. After reeling it in he discovered the fish had wrecked the drag on his reel.

So I send an email into Quantum explaining what had happened. They stated that the reel comes with a one year warranty but only if I have the receipt. To be honest, I've never had a problem with any reel other than the bale spring on a Diawa Theory after about 8yrs of use so keeping the receipt for warranty wasn't on my mind.

Basically what Quantum said was sorry about your luck but we'll give you 25% off another one of our reels...... I realize they have their policies, but I will gladly pay full price for another Shimano or Abu Garcia before I waste another cent on a Quantum. It's funny because while we were out this weekend my Father in law was giving me the gears over buying Quantums, he said his Quantum was expensive, poor quality and crapped out after a year, I was defending them! Seems to be more than just coincidence, from the quality of the product to the customer satisfaction of the warranty department, I will never but Quantum again.

PS, I imagine it's probably a $0.50 part to fix, but I have no faith in the product and will not be bringing the one out on any more fishing trips. If anyone wants to buy 2 Quantum Catalyst reels (one with a stripped out drag) that are only about a year old for cheap, let me know.

Rant over.

Wes_G
08-11-2015, 07:35 PM
I had very similar issues. I have always loved there reels and they have been great to me. They always seemed nicer then Shimano for the price. I bought one of there EXO spinning reels in the spring on for 40% off. This was a $200.00 reel. The drag on it was a POS. It was the most terrible jerky drag that I have ever seen, even $20 reels I have used have been smoother than this. I contacted them for warranty and was told to send it into a warranty center (on my dime) to be serviced. Once I realized that I still had the box and receipt, I just returned it and saved myself the hassle.

Unfortunately I am not likely to buy another Quantum again.

Kurt505
08-11-2015, 08:21 PM
It's a cheap brass nut inside the drag controll that holds the spool on, it stripped out. Literally a $0.50 nut, and most likely a very common problem with these reels. I know with archery equipment, QAD, Spot Hogg, Rip Cord, all these companies have sent me replacement parts for free, especially if it's a common problem. As far as fishing gear goes, it doesn't seem to be the way they operate for quality customer service.

bushnell
08-11-2015, 08:33 PM
go see Trevor at the reel doctor he should be able to help you out

Kurt505
08-11-2015, 08:35 PM

Thank you

RavYak
08-11-2015, 08:51 PM
No way the fish wrecked the nut. Something else must have did that (must have been cross threaded and stripped I would guess).

Where did you buy them? If you paid credit or debit get them to look up your receipt, they should be able to if you know roughly when and what card you used(look up details on your banking first if necessary).

Then get the store to replace it or at least can use the receipt to deal with quantum.

I always keep my receipt/warranty cards for expensive fishing gear.

Edit: Oh and quantum fishing website has parts too.

EZM
08-11-2015, 09:08 PM
I purchased a few quantum reels over the years. Usually as a second/spare rod or, in the most recent case, as a ice fishing reel for perch. I keep wanting to believe they are quality products (they certainly look like they are and feel great in the store). Unfortunately they have ALL been crap. I won't buy another quantum reel ...... ever. Poor drag, temperamental bail open/closing and clunky after it breaks in.

The only worse reels are Shakespeare, Zebco and Rapala ..... now those aspire to become crap. Those should be illegal to sell ..... they are fraud. If My mom used one of those reels for just one day she would light up the marketing executives with her slipper and wooden spoon.

I had a relatively Expensive rapala level wind ($200>)- screws kept coming loose - so I used a little lock tight. Then the gear that runs the worm explodes. Exchanged it for another - lasted a few months and the fine adjustment free spool drag wouldn't work - it exploded shortly thereafter.

I agree - get a mid priced or better Abu Garcia or Shimano and you will be pleased with it. My mom would approve.

There is so much garbage out there ...... and some of it cleverly disguised (and priced high) to mke it look like a quality reel.

I have a guy I fish with that was soooooooo proud of his quantum smoke - I had him use a Abu Garcia for the day (he had a major line malfunction) and after using it all day and complimenting it bought it off me at the end of the day. He, himself, a Quantum hardcore, tee shirt wearing, matching reel and rod guy found Jesus on my boat that day.

He is a born again fisherman. I have not seen his silly quantum tee shirt or hat ever since. Yup .... Jesus.

ghostguy6
08-11-2015, 09:20 PM
It's a cheap brass nut inside the drag controll that holds the spool on, it stripped out. Literally a $0.50 nut, and most likely a very common problem with these reels. I know with archery equipment, QAD, Spot Hogg, Rip Cord, all these companies have sent me replacement parts for free, especially if it's a common problem. As far as fishing gear goes, it doesn't seem to be the way they operate for quality customer service.

Check out places like Edmonton Nut and Bolt, they most likely will have something that will work or at least can be re tapped to fit. I would be careful when dealing with the Reel Doctor, he tends to overcharge if he has to order the part in for you. Something like that he might have in stock though. He quoted me 8 times the price. He claimed the part was back ordered from the factory and would be a available in 6 months. I called Quantum and had the part 3 days later for free.

bwackwabbit
08-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Bought my 1st Quantum 4 years ago, lasted 2 trips before the bale arm snapped right off the reel (I always manually close the bale when I retrieve).

Called Quantam and got the same story on a $200 reel. Hung up the phone, drove to BPS and bought a comparable Shimano and 4 yrs later it works like new.

I have since replaced all 8 of my rod/reels w/Shimano product and couldn't be happier.

Broke a Convergence rod fighting a big pike that only wanted to look at the bottom of my boat. Called Shimano and they replaced it under warranty no questions asked.

JohninAB
08-12-2015, 05:24 AM
Bought a Quantum Catalyst PTI in 2004. Been back and forth across Canada, in float planes, bouncing off rocks and bottom of boats and caught too many fish to even try to guess at and has performed flawlessly even though I have done nothing to it in terms of maintenance ever.

Have numerous high end Quantum baitcasters and they all performs as well as the Shimano Chronarch Ci4 I bought last year. Still as smooth and consistent as they day I bought them 5 or so years ago.

No issues here with Quantum.

javlin101
08-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Bought a Quantum Catalyst PTI in 2004. Been back and forth across Canada, in float planes, bouncing off rocks and bottom of boats and caught too many fish to even try to guess at and has performed flawlessly even though I have done nothing to it in terms of maintenance ever.

Have numerous high end Quantum baitcasters and they all performs as well as the Shimano Chronarch Ci4 I bought last year. Still as smooth and consistent as they day I bought them 5 or so years ago.

No issues here with Quantum.

x2

spincaster & baitcaster, had for 4-5 years now and work as when new.

thegaddiman
08-16-2015, 05:39 AM
1 Tour Edition and 2 Energy PT spinning reels over 10yrs old and never a problem!

elkivory
08-16-2015, 05:48 AM

x's 2 on that advise, those guys are great! :)

rcales
08-16-2015, 08:05 AM
I don't see how this is manufactures fault. Sounds like the reel was close or past warranty, and its your fault for not keeping the receipt. Did you register the product at least?

Kurt505
08-16-2015, 08:41 AM
I don't see how this is manufactures fault. Sounds like the reel was close or past warranty, and its your fault for not keeping the receipt. Did you register the product at least?

I'm not sure if you read my entire op, but I stated I realize that they have their policies. My point is the Catalyst isn't exactly an entry level reel, retailing around the $150 mark. I have owned several Shimano reels in the $60-$80 range that have held up 100%, some for close to 20yrs or so. I have a Shimano that retails for $170 and there seems like $100 difference in the reels as far as quality goes. I'm not sure what Shimanos warranty department is like, because in 30yrs I've never had to use it, but I know what their quality is like. I found the brass nut that is the route of the problem with the reel, and it's a weak point in a poor design.

JonhinAB has had a Catalyst since 2004, but that's a different model I believe. I think that one is mostly silver, the newer ones are dark grey, red and silver, a different design. I think the most recent models are the reason they no longer make the Catalyst.

It's about the quality of the product vs the cost, and the willingness, or lack there of to satisfy the customer. It's a $0.50 part, most outfits would drop a few in a bag and ship it off to the customer, at least that's what would happen if I was running the joint.

ROA
08-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Quantum has always been known as more of a second class outfit. They make good stuff but not the best stuff. I have bought lots of quantum reels over the years and they work good but do not seem to last quite as long as some of the other brands on average. The top of the line quantum reels are not to bad.

Recently I wore out a quantum bait caster (took me 15 years to do it) and replaced it with a quantum smoke, very nice light weight bait cast reel that I hope to get 5+ years out of. Compared to my Abu Revo Premier (wich cost more $) it is better degined on the outside but the internals are not quite as good. In typical Quantum style it's 90% of the Abu at 2/3 the price. A trade off I am happy to make sometimes.

EZM
08-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Quantum is a Zebco family product line.

It seems to me the quantum / zebco products have gone downhill since Brunswick divested (sold them). Zebco was a US made quality brand at one time - believe it or not.

The new ownership group began to manufacture the products in "lower cost" markets, which, unfortunately, often leads to "lower quality".

Perhaps - 8-10 years ago - the product was good - I would offer that the new product may not be as good (at least that's been my experience).

Although almost all major tackle companies manufacture in lower cost markets, it's the level of management oversight within the manufacturing locations that likely makes a big difference in the quality of the finished product.

Having a commitment to on-site, tenacious and tireless management oversight is the only way to ensure quality in your operation.

Lower cost manufacturing sources will double your profits - that's a fact. It's something every progressive organization should look into and take advantage of.

People simply will not pay double for a domestic product. That's been proven time and time again, in all sorts of products in the marketplace.

As far as manufacturing in Asia - I have seen this first hand on numerous occasions myself. If you don't watch them - the quality will slip and the excuses will start. I have worked with many Asian manufacturing partners for over 15 years and the second you stop watching, managing and monitoring them they are ready to rob you and send out crap products.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts Quantum/Zebco are learning this now.

Look at what is happening to the Rapala family of products - they are all crap now.

JohninAB
08-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Having a commitment to on-site, tenacious and tireless management oversight is the only way to ensure quality in your operation.

Not what the Big 3 learnt when they went to Japan to see why the quality of vehicles produced over there kicked domestic butt. Their trip prompted GM to open the Saturn line modeled after what they saw in Japan.

cribfisher
08-16-2015, 06:33 PM
The guide I charter in the keys used nothing but quantum cabo reels for 10 years or more but has totally stopped in the last few years as the quality has all but disappeared and warrantee has gone from lifetime to one year.

EZM
08-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Not what the Big 3 learnt when they went to Japan to see why the quality of vehicles produced over there kicked domestic butt. Their trip prompted GM to open the Saturn line modeled after what they saw in Japan.

That I agree with - Japanese quality is nothing like what the rest of Asia is like. The Japanese produce quality products.

My generalization probably required a disclaimer.

When I suggest "poor quality in Asia", in my mind, it's China, India, and other mainland Asian countries. I just didn't want to necessarily "call out" any country in particular.

The Koreans seem to be somewhere "in the middle" from what I've seen myself. Korean quality is on par with domestic products.

Quality is in line with costs - cheap in India/China, moderate prices in Korea, and premium prices and quality in Asia.

The same dynamics exist in Europe - Germany/Sweden being premium and former eastern block countries producing lower cost, lower quality goods.

walleyeca
09-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Bring that reel in Ill fix it for free! even if its close to your warranty Ill cover it under Quantum/zebco warranty program! As there Canada warranty center I will make you happy with your reel again! The Reel Doctor is here to help dont be discouraged please, Trevor

walleyeca
09-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Heres what I wrote to Ghost guy with no response!!! I Truly believe there was some miscommunication somewhere and before anyone say overcharging please take into note all that takes place to order these parts from the USA!! the shipping, brokerage, GST, Duties what can I possibly make on a $10 part??? LOL

Hi there its Trevor from the Reel Doctor Im reading your posts and you seem to have had a bad experience with me? Now if you look at my customer service record I don't **** to many people off if any , but when I see you sending guys away from me because of an experience you had I feel as though I have failed you, Im not sure what happened with you but but I promise you I never prosper from failure, now as far as pricing, you said im over priced? if a part is $1.50 form the states it takes at our dollar 1.41 to bring that part here and make any if any money on the part! Again Im very sorry we got off on the wrong foot, please allow me to offer you a half price cleaning or say your next quantum part or pure fishing part for no charge!!! including shipping I would love to earn your respect, Trevor

Adwittoutdoors
09-03-2015, 01:01 AM
Reel Doctor is a stand up guy. Support small Canadian / Alberta businesses , even if they do cost a tad bit more. :sHa_shakeshout:

Rikkles Fisher
09-03-2015, 03:01 AM
Trevor from the reel doctor is an awesome guy and has never overcharged me on anything. In fact any quote he has given me the actual price has been significantly less. I would recommend his services too anyone, there must have been some miscommunication between you two because I have never heard another complaint about the guy! TWO THUMBS UP FOR THE REEL DOCTOR!

GrillBoss
09-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Two thumbs up for Trevor at Reel Doctor. Great service. I live out of town and have a hard time getting to Edmonton except on the weekend. One weekend when his store was closed he let me pick up my order at his house.

Kurt505
09-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Bring that reel in Ill fix it for free! even if its close to your warranty Ill cover it under Quantum/zebco warranty program! As there Canada warranty center I will make you happy with your reel again! The Reel Doctor is here to help dont be discouraged please, Trevor

Did he say that about my reel?

Walleye101
09-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck or two can you? Reel Doctor is a stand up guy and will bend over backwards for people in need. No matter what the situation is.

CK Angler
09-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Did he say that about my reel?

Yes, I believe he did.

I brought a Stella into him for repairs (blown bearing) and he would not let me leave unless I was 100% satisfied with the repairs, there was the slightest tick that I personally wouldn't have noticed, and he pointed it out to me and like I said, wouldn't let me leave his store unless I was satisfied. He's a stand up dude!

I have two quantum reels I use for ice fishing large pike and lakers, a catalyst PTI 30 & 40, had them both for a few years now with zero issue. And they have been up to lake Athabasca and back ice fishing 3 times now.

weedhaul
09-04-2015, 05:46 PM
I had a Quantum rod and reel, wouldn't say the reel was great (cast poorly) but the rod was crap. Tip broke after about 6 outings, took it back to the store and was offered an exchange, but the only other rod in stock also had a broken tip (and wasn't even sold yet!)

ghostguy6
09-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Heres what I wrote to Ghost guy with no response!!! I Truly believe there was some miscommunication somewhere and before anyone say overcharging please take into note all that takes place to order these parts from the USA!! the shipping, brokerage, GST, Duties what can I possibly make on a $10 part??? LOL

Hi there its Trevor from the Reel Doctor Im reading your posts and you seem to have had a bad experience with me? Now if you look at my customer service record I don't **** to many people off if any , but when I see you sending guys away from me because of an experience you had I feel as though I have failed you, Im not sure what happened with you but but I promise you I never prosper from failure, now as far as pricing, you said im over priced? if a part is $1.50 form the states it takes at our dollar 1.41 to bring that part here and make any if any money on the part! Again Im very sorry we got off on the wrong foot, please allow me to offer you a half price cleaning or say your next quantum part or pure fishing part for no charge!!! including shipping I would love to earn your respect, Trevor

Well Trevor I chose to ignore your PM because I did not want to start an argument with you. Also I can not say for sure if it was you or one of your employees I dealt with years ago. Since you posted this I will say the following.
The part in the following link is what I was looking for, you will note the price on the item is $4.31. Now I understand you need to charge a little mark up but you quoted me $32 and said it would be a 6 month wait. A simple call to Quantum revealed the part was in stock and not on back order as you had indicated. In fact they sent me the part for free of charge.

http://shop.zebcobrands.com/handle-assy-kit-basp30.html

When I said you may overcharge, that may have been poor wording on my part. I know you deal with the manufactures for your parts however something like a simple nut or screw may be cheaper locally at someplace like Edmonton Nut and Bolt.

In response to your offer for 1/2 off a cleaning or part, I do appreciate it however I prefer to do my own maintenance. Quantum's decline in quality has led me to stop using their products so once they wear out they are gone. I do appreciate your efforts to make things right.

Anyways I'm going to leave it there, I don't feel it is worth starting an arrangement online, especially on A.O. where things seem to go south in a hurry.