PDA

View Full Version : How many can we use?

Bassett
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I thought we were only allowed to use 2 rods at a time. But does that still include tip-ups? Am I allowed more than 2 tip-ups with my rod? Need some answers, thanks Bass

redneck posse
01-20-2009, 07:31 PM
two lines per person including tip ups

Kyle
01-20-2009, 11:25 PM

happy perch fisher
01-20-2009, 11:27 PM

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
two lines or two tip ups or a rod and a tip up , open water only allowed 1 rod per person except if your trolling. Hope this helps.

packhuntr
01-21-2009, 06:10 AM
What do you mean by "only one rod unless your trolling"????

Justanotherbuck2
01-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Even trolling you are only allowed one rod! Ice fishing is the only time two are allowed. Quaote from the sportfishing regs:
Use more than one line when angling into open water.
Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.

TundraBuck
01-21-2009, 10:06 AM
two lines or two tip ups or a rod and a tip up , open water only allowed 1 rod per person except if your trolling. Hope this helps.

This is only true in BC, in which case you must be in a boat alone. In this situation, one angler may use two lines.

TexasTornado
01-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I thought we were only allowed to use 2 rods at a time. But does that still include tip-ups? Am I allowed more than 2 tip-ups with my rod? Need some answers, thanks Bass

These questions shouldn't be asked? Everyone has access to the regulations.

01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
General Sportfishing Restrictions
It Is Unlawful To:

Use more than one line when angling into open water.
Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.
While angling be further than 30 m from any line in the water. .

Well that trolling rule just changed as just a few years ago you were only allowed 1 line per angler and 2 trolling. anyway thhis is no longer the case, only allowed 2 rods during ice fishing.

Chris K
01-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Not wanting to stir the pot or argue with you BBJ, but that has not been the case here in Alberta as to ever being able to fish two lines while trolling. The only major changes to lines allowed happened a few years back when they cut us down from 3 lines icefishing to two, but it has been one line in the water no matter how you were fishing in Alberta in open water. I love fishing in places I can use more than one line like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, North & South Dakota etc... and I wish we could do it here, but I don't think it will ever happen. Chris K

pdfish
01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Not wanting to stir the pot or argue with you BBJ, but that has not been the case here in Alberta as to ever being able to fish two lines while trolling. The only major changes to lines allowed happened a few years back when they cut us down from 3 lines icefishing to two, but it has been one line in the water no matter how you were fishing in Alberta in open water. I love fishing in places I can use more than one line like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, North & South Dakota etc... and I wish we could do it here, but I don't think it will ever happen. Chris K

What Chris said is true.

This is only true in BC, in which case you must be in a boat alone. In this situation, one angler may use two lines.

While fishing tidal waters in BC, you can run as many rods as you like, regardless if you're in the boat alone or not. Even if you're fishing from shore, as long as you're in tidal waters, you can run as many rods as you like.

If fishing freshwater, only one rod per person.

TundraBuck
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
What Chris said is true.

While fishing tidal waters in BC, you can run as many rods as you like, regardless if you're in the boat alone or not. Even if you're fishing from shore, as long as you're in tidal waters, you can run as many rods as you like.

If fishing freshwater, only one rod per person.

I was referring to the freshwater regulations, and that law still stands. If you're in FRESHWATER in BC by yourself in a boat, trolling, you may run 2 lines.

pdfish
01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I was referring to the freshwater regulations, and that law still stands. If you're in FRESHWATER in BC by yourself in a boat, trolling, you may run 2 lines.

I stand corrected, however you must be fishing in a LAKE, in the river its still only one line.

Fish Feathers Game
01-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey Chris K, I give you all the credit in the world if you've figured out the 2 rod thing south of the border! I hated it when I fished tourneys down there! I guess it's all in what a person is used to. You have had more practice than I down there! In Fort Peck, I ran 3 oz bouncers of the front holders on each side and then ran 1.5 oz off the back and long lined them. No matter what, we had a mess jsut about every time a fish hit! I know, quit whining as at least we were putting fish in the boat. The best scenario was in shallow water. Throw one rod in with a slip and then with another rod, fan cast light jigs to the water line and drag back. Bringing back memories!!

Doc
01-22-2009, 05:45 AM

Well that trolling rule just changed as just a few years ago you were only allowed 1 line per angler and 2 trolling. anyway thhis is no longer the case, only allowed 2 rods during ice fishing.

:huh:

BBJ, you may want to sit down and read the regs from cover to cover before you again decide to share information about Alberta's fishing regulations. Giving folks illegal information is not cool. I've been fishing Alberta's waters for 33 years and in that time it's never been lawful to use two lines in open water no matter how you're fishing.

Cheers,
Doc

Chris K
01-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey Chris K, I give you all the credit in the world if you've figured out the 2 rod thing south of the border! I hated it when I fished tourneys down there! I guess it's all in what a person is used to. You have had more practice than I down there! In Fort Peck, I ran 3 oz bouncers of the front holders on each side and then ran 1.5 oz off the back and long lined them. No matter what, we had a mess jsut about every time a fish hit! I know, quit whining as at least we were putting fish in the boat. The best scenario was in shallow water. Throw one rod in with a slip and then with another rod, fan cast light jigs to the water line and drag back. Bringing back memories!!

I have to give some credit to the teachers I had in showing me how they do this stuff and stay out of tangles way, especially with crankbaits, boards and clearing rods. I fished the west division of the PWT as an amateur in 2000 and travelled with Richard Mellon (209x50 on the AO board) and prefished with him most of the time, and I learned lots of the tricks of the trade. Fort Peck is sure fun eh? I had a day of prefishing there with a fellow that guided on the lake, and if it was tournament day we would have brought 52 pounds of walleye to the weigh in. With bouncers, now a lot of guys are going really long off the front, and Richard had some 10 footers in the holders off the bow, and I manned the short rods at the back and we had a really good spread with mimimal tangles. Otherwise, drifting sideways, it's pretty easy to run four rods, or when jiggging too. Make sure the rod holders are really acccessable and the boat is organized and you will be ok. Chris K

01-22-2009, 12:29 PM
:huh:

BBJ, you may want to sit down and read the regs from cover to cover before you again decide to share information about Alberta's fishing regulations. Giving folks illegal information is not cool. I've been fishing Alberta's waters for 33 years and in that time it's never been lawful to use two lines in open water no matter how you're fishing.

Cheers,
Doc

:lol::lol::lol::lol: as you might know I fish alot of places from year to year . As I did mix my information up ? Tundra buck is correct. As I was thinking BC not Alberta , Im manly enough to call my own mistake .