PDA

View Full Version : 8mm Remington Mag

Supergrit
08-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Wondering if anyone hunts with 8mm Remington mag and if they like it and is it real hard to find bullets and or reloading supplies.

elkhunter11
08-12-2015, 03:30 PM
I hunted with one about 20 years ago, great for larger game, and recoil is a bit harsh for some people. Brass can be difficult to locate. I still have a set of dies, and a couple of boxes of brass on hand.

super7mag
08-13-2015, 08:04 AM
If you reload Nosler, Hornady, Seirra, all still make 8mm bullets.
I'd say if your rifle likes a 200 gr Accu-Bond that there is not much in N/A that I wouldn't hunt with one. My Dads hunting buddy has had one for 40 years, he loves it. He sticks with 220 gr interlock and its severed him well over the years. He's a big guy at 6'4 and 250 lbs or so never seemed like recoil bothered him.
As for brass I guess you could always neck up STW brass as it seems more readily available .

bat119
08-13-2015, 08:26 AM
I got one from a guy that was genuinely afraid of it, he closed his eyes when he pulled the trigger and couldn't hit a flock of barns. I developed a few loads for it and was able to get MOA groups with it using 220 gr bullets, the recoil is sharp and harsh. I would rather use a short action 325 win much less recoil with a little less velocity.
I traded the fellow a 280 rem. still thanks me to this day