PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan Lake -- Fintry

Pierce
08-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Heading to Fintry for a week and will be taking the boat with me. Does a guy need to bring downriggers to expect to catch kokanee or rainbows?
Has anyone had any experience with perch in the lake (I've read that there is some in there)?
Thanks for any info

tonnage
08-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Kokanee won't need downriggers, as they will mostly be in the shallower water where creeks enter the lake. The rainbows will be deep though, so yes, a downrigger will be necessary. I never have much luck on that lake in July and August but spring and fall trolling bucktails is awesome!

Bobby B.
08-13-2015, 02:24 PM
The weather at this time of the year is HOT. I would bring the downriggers as you might have to position your presentation 30 feet deep or more for both rainbows and kokanee. IIRC, this year's daily limit on kokanee is 2 fish. Good luck.

Bobby

Backyardhunter3006
08-13-2015, 05:21 PM
Koks will be out in deep water but only 20-40 feet deep. Rainbows are 50ft+ deep now. If you don't have riggers I would pick up some slip weights. Good luck!

top-pin
08-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Lived and fished there for 10 years. Trolling buck tails is awesome in and around the old Hyram Walker plant. You can take along a down rigger as well and get down to 20-30 feet. willow leafs and wedding rings work consistently as well. Good luck

spopadyn
08-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Been fishing the lake all summer and I think it is almost impossible without a downrigger. As the temp heats up the fish go deep. Was out last week and we nailed about 20 kokanee an 40 - 60 feet(we were looking for rainbows). They were all released and max size was only about 12 inches. There are a lot of lakes close to there if you don't have a downrigger (drive up in the hills - Becker Lake, Moore Lake, Postil Lake and Beaver Lake). Also, on Okanagan lake you need to fish barbless. Rainbows are very elusive but there are some monsters in there. GL.

waterninja
08-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Boy did your thread title bring back some good memories. Years ago (70's) I lived right on the lake, on a tugboat called the MV Okanagan. Had it moored at Fintry till we moved it to city park in Kelowna.