PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have one of these in their tackle box. What is it.??

David Henry
08-14-2015, 01:22 PM
I came across this and think it may have been used for spear fishing. Or for the underwater fishermen back when such things were considered fair chase. It is a spring loaded affair and has the three bolts shown with different tips, the name of the manufacturer is "Mares" and Rappalo on the other side yes that's Rappalo not Rappala like the tackle maker. Or that's what the script looks like to me. Anyone seen such a beast before. D.H.

aulrich
08-14-2015, 03:05 PM
It's a plain old speargun I used one back in the day before slot limits etc in Manitoba still legal in many places on various species. Most places you can't use scuba gear so it's fair chase enough, a whole lot of fun as well.

Still have my gun it's 25 years old and needs new springs, one day I will have to figure out the current legalities and try it again, on one of those days we are fishing for food.

Marsha
08-14-2015, 03:07 PM
used to have one out in BC It is a short range 0 - 3' spear gun commonly used by scuba divers.. It's line is missing, tether for the spear also the loader that you would use under water to load it

David Henry
08-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks for your response, I googled the Mares name and came up with the link to scuba equipment and some pictures of the "Harpoon" but no details on its intended purpose. Three feet you say !! This thing begs to be pimped up a bit. Let the wildcatting begin. D.H.