PDA

View Full Version : Fraser river closed to all salmon fishing

Andrew_Arsenault
08-15-2015, 07:48 AM
As of midnight last night the Fraser river is closed to all salmon fishing. Just a heads up to anyone else out here or any one coming! There went my afterwork activity!

elkivory
08-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Would you happen to know why?

Andrew_Arsenault
08-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Think it has something to do with the water conditions and the sockeye run.

MathewsArcher
08-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Poor returns and record water temperatures. Bulletin can be found on the DFO website.

Redfrog
08-15-2015, 01:32 PM
IMHO, this is the worst managed fishery in the country and possibly the world.

In 50 years that I know about it has not gotten one bit better.

FlyTheory
08-15-2015, 02:16 PM

In your opinion, how would you suggest they make it better?

Luxor
08-15-2015, 02:53 PM

The big problem is commercial fishing, natives netting and foreign illegal fishing boats.

Its more becoming a world problem. Not just BC.

So how do we fix our depleting world fisheries????? :confused0024:

Redfrog
08-15-2015, 03:11 PM

A trip to Alaska may help.

Luxor, All those things are active in Alaska, but their salmon runs do not suddenly appear as a big surprise each year.

DFO has no idea from day to day how many salmon are in the Faser, or are coming, or have already gone up river.. How do you have a six hour opening as a management tool?

lakerman
08-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Just got back from the coast they need rain, snow anything real bad, some streams have an inch of water and those salmon are not going to spawn, this is a real nightmare in the making!

Bushrat
08-15-2015, 04:07 PM

No it's the second worst, it's right behind the mismanagement of the Atlantic salmon and codfish that are being mismanaged into extinction by DFO.

Redfrog
08-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Bushrat, I agree. Same crap different pile.

Luxor
08-15-2015, 04:41 PM
A trip to Alaska may help.

Luxor, All those things are active in Alaska, but their salmon runs do not suddenly appear as a big surprise each year.

DFO has no idea from day to day how many salmon are in the Faser, or are coming, or have already gone up river.. How do you have a six hour opening as a management tool?

I can definitely agree that their calculated numbers are so overly innacurrate that its impossible to take them seriously year after year after year.

From what Ive read....it also seems that the salmon farming hasn't helped the industry well either.

To put environment issues in perspective into a nice little box.....I just blame it all on human overpopulation.
We are so screwed its not even funny anymore!!!!

Stupid people is one thing......but millions of stupid people is quite another.

rena0040
08-15-2015, 06:15 PM
well that screws up my september trip for pinks. old man's flights from quebec are booked and everything

rena0040
08-15-2015, 06:37 PM
looks like tidal fraser is closed but non tidal is still open, for now.

Brandonkop
08-15-2015, 07:38 PM
I've read a bunch about this. The closure is due to extreme river Temps above 20 degrees Celsius and extremely low flows due to no rain. Neither of these are factors that fisheries can change. When water Temps are over 18 degrees c the sockeye are in danger of death before ever spawning. Unless we get some cool days or rain it could spell disaster. Last year they forecast 75 million sockey. In reality only 16 to 18 million showed up. They over fished last year by 1.4 million. Apparently the bios recommend only 20 to 30 mill return but the feds try to push it up asuh as possible for the largest possible commercial harvest. money talks and fish don't. This year they projected 5 to 6 mill and now I'm hearing 1 to 2 million. That's a shame for the fraser in a time when the fish will be super stressed. They should start some hatchery sockeye before we lose them.

Your trip might be ok in September if river Temps fall and sockeye are gone up river they'll probably reopen it.

Macdrizzle
08-15-2015, 07:42 PM
For the love of god please don't let this be true, been looking forward to the pink run for 2 years now... and I just booked rooms 3 days ago!

waterninja
08-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Saw a show last year that had a number of biologists talking about the devastation that farmed salmon and the disease's that they introduced into the wild salmon stock has done to the overall population. Apparently biologists and other experts tried to get the Govt. to stop the farming, but the money was too good to resist.
The extreme heat wave coupled with no rain along the coast sure hasen't helped this years salmon runs.

Luxor
08-15-2015, 08:14 PM
No one has mentioned global warming yet.
And I wont be the one to do it

Can anyone remember closures to this degree in AB and BC ?????

elkivory
08-15-2015, 08:15 PM
No it's the second worst, it's right behind the mismanagement of the Atlantic salmon and codfish that are being mismanaged into extinction by DFO.

I was lucky to fly fish for Atlantic Salmon in the Gaspe when I was in my twenties, good time I will never forget. :)

Bushrat
08-15-2015, 08:38 PM
I was lucky to fly fish for Atlantic Salmon in the Gaspe when I was in my twenties, good time I will never forget. :)
Never fished Gaspe but did fish Restigouche, Miramichi, Nashwaak, Tobique and the Saint John. You can still fish back there some but it is not a shadow of what it was 30 or 40 years ago.

elkivory
08-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Never fished Gaspe but did fish Restigouche, Miramichi, Nashwaak, Tobique and the Saint John. You can still fish back there some but it is not a shadow of what it was 30 or 40 years ago.

I have heard. Fished the Restigouche and Matapedia Rivers, stayed at Motel Restigouche, fun, fun, fun! :)

foothillzman
08-16-2015, 11:09 AM
I have heard. Fished the Restigouche and Matapedia Rivers, stayed at Motel Restigouche, fun, fun, fun! :)

I think fish farms should be forced to be inland, contained on the ground to avoid all the issues, and not be set-up in the ocean, and we should accept eating these fish, there are too many people in the world to all be eating "wild" sockeye in my opinion!
Alaska will be next to decline.

Luxor
08-16-2015, 11:28 AM
I think fish farms should be forced to be inland, contained on the ground to avoid all the issues, and not be set-up in the ocean, and we should accept eating these fish, there are too many people in the world to all be eating "wild" sockeye in my opinion!

They do exist
They are called "fish hatcheries"

I almost invested in ocean fish farming when first started making an impact about 25yrs ago.
Seemed like a great idea and very profitable.
But the problems started to surface almost immediately and I declined my support

elkivory
08-16-2015, 11:43 AM

What does fishing the Matapedia or Restigouche for wild Atlantic Salmon have to do with BC fish farms?

By the way, I happen to agree with you that fish farms are a very bad idea! I have read marine biologist's reports that the sea lice coming off of the farmed stocks are killing wild salmon smolt, as well as various diseases that can come from these fish and spread into the wild population, not to forget the amount of pollution that these pens are creating!

Last but not lease, farmed salmon taste nothing like wild salmon, don't like them one bit!

Redfrog
08-16-2015, 02:19 PM
I've read a bunch about this. The closure is due to extreme river Temps above 20 degrees Celsius and extremely low flows due to no rain. Neither of these are factors that fisheries can change. When water Temps are over 18 degrees c the sockeye are in danger of death before ever spawning. Unless we get some cool days or rain it could spell disaster. Last year they forecast 75 million sockey. In reality only 16 to 18 million showed up. They over fished last year by 1.4 million. Apparently the bios recommend only 20 to 30 mill return but the feds try to push it up asuh as possible for the largest possible commercial harvest. money talks and fish don't. This year they projected 5 to 6 mill and now I'm hearing 1 to 2 million. That's a shame for the fraser in a time when the fish will be super stressed. They should start some hatchery sockeye before we lose them.

Your trip might be ok in September if river Temps fall and sockeye are gone up river they'll probably reopen it.

Overestimating is SOP for DFO. Hasn't changed in forever. Same song, over and over..
Now they blame fish farms.

what do you think they blamed before there were fish farms? Certainly not mismanagement.:thinking-006:

gramps73
08-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Closed to everyday anglers but not to the netters...

MountainTi
08-17-2015, 07:44 AM
What does fishing the Matapedia or Restigouche for wild Atlantic Salmon have to do with BC fish farms?

By the way, I happen to agree with you that fish farms are a very bad idea! I have read marine biologist's reports that the sea lice coming off of the farmed stocks are killing wild salmon smolt, as well as various diseases that can come from these fish and spread into the wild population, not to forget the amount of pollution that these pens are creating!

Last but not lease, farmed salmon taste nothing like wild salmon, don't like them one bit!

Have not bought farmed salmon for years, first and foremost because I do not agree with the west coast salmon farms, and secondly, farmed atlantic salmon is a sub par product

Sundancefisher
08-17-2015, 08:49 AM
No one has mentioned global warming yet.
And I wont be the one to do it

Can anyone remember closures to this degree in AB and BC ?????

Thank El Niņo. They have come and gone for millions of years. They range in strength from mild to strong.

This one is strong. Biggest impact on weather.

Salavee
08-19-2015, 11:53 AM
For the real skinny on Salmon Farming, give this Salmon Confidential video documentary a look.
It's on the top left of the home page .. http://baitrix.com/

It's about an hour long and I'm betting you will never eat a farmed Salmon again .. ever.

.257Weatherby
08-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Poor returns and record water temperatures. Bulletin can be found on the DFO website.

Actually, there are more fish showing up than expected, both Sockeye and Pinks..it is a Pink cycle though and an off cycle for Sockeye.
It is the warm water and no rain that has DFO worried.
But, it hasnt stopped the Natives from fishing twice a week for commercial and food fishing..yeah right food fishing.....The river temps are high though and that is serious business.
Tight Lines,
Rob

elkivory
08-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Have not bought farmed salmon for years, first and foremost because I do not agree with the west coast salmon farms, and secondly, farmed atlantic salmon is a sub par product

I could not agree more MountainTi. I have eaten farmed Atlantic Salmon twice. The first and the last time!

I have caught and eaten lots of Wild Atlantic Salmon and frankly they are two very different fish, with no comparison whatsoever. I would rather eat a pork shoulder then that crappy man made fish, all day long. :bad_boys_20:

bmckenney
08-19-2015, 02:04 PM
For the real skinny on Salmon Farming, give this Salmon Confidential video documentary a look.
It's on the top left of the home page .. http://baitrix.com/

It's about an hour long and I'm betting you will never eat a farmed Salmon again .. ever.

Sad state of affairs. I won't be eating farmed salmon any more. At least not ocean farmed raised salmon.

Redfrog
08-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Actually, there are more fish showing up than expected, both Sockeye and Pinks..it is a Pink cycle though and an off cycle for Sockeye.
It is the warm water and no rain that has DFO worried.
But, it hasnt stopped the Natives from fishing twice a week for commercial and food fishing..yeah right food fishing.....The river temps are high though and that is serious business.
Tight Lines,
Rob

How long have the Natives been fishing salmon in the Fraser? How long has DFO been managing the fisheries? Who did a better job and when did things go for crap?

Sundancefisher
08-19-2015, 11:20 PM
How long have the Natives been fishing salmon in the Fraser? How long has DFO been managing the fisheries? Who did a better job and when did things go for crap?

Lots go into it. Development along salmon streams. Roads and logging is huge. Not only causing siltation but also warming due to lack of shade. Then comes Mother Nature. Some years warmer. Some cooler. Some with more moisture. Some with less. Then comes historical ecosystem impacts such as as making river channelized and not natural. Removing log jams. Making them straight and uniform. Then comes BC environmentally friendly dams. Sure cheap power but with destructive impacts on fishing migrations. Then comes food for growing fish. Again. Impacts to the ecosystem. Then smolts get to the oceans they get flushed out fast. Not normal. Then potential for parsites. Then predators. Then in the ocean and El Niņo impacts food supplies and brings in warm water predators. Warmer seas are worse for salmon. In cold years they thrive. Then they migrate back. Factory ships from Russia, China, Korea, Denmark etc slaughter Canadian and American salmon. Then they return. Run the gauntlet of humboldt squid, salmon sharks, orcas and anglers. Then commercial trollers. Then seiners. Then anglers and native fisheries. Then migrate up waiting for high water. Then spawning. Then spawning success and smolt emergence. Repeated.

Basic but complicated. In bad years salmon need to be left to spawn to replenish stocks. In stellar years harvested. All the while building stocks higher and higher. As high as they can possibly go.

I see DFO setting a low bar and failing. Failing on salmon and halibut.

Your statement leads some to believe forecasting is easy. Today versus 150 years ago is silly.

If FN people could kill every last one they would of. They were all about getting as much food as possible. What saved fish populations is low FN populations and lack of technology.

Redfrog
08-19-2015, 11:33 PM
"Your statement leads some to believe forecasting is easy. Today versus 150 years ago is silly. "

"It's not my statement that makes it impossible for DFO to get it right. Alaska has all those issues that you listed as well and yet year after year do amuch better job. Just lucky I guess.:thinking-006:

Today versus 150 years ago is only silly if you are FN or a salmon.