PDA

View Full Version : First BC Rockfishing - do it yourself

Brandonkop
08-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Excellent Shallow Water Rockfishing! Had a lot of fun out there and can't wait to get back out with the bait casting rod. Used to fish off the kayak in California this way and thought I'd try it up here. Guess what it worked. Fun way to spend the slow times of the day! Jig was a big hammer swimbait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxzpqRWN14

Thanks for watching.

dodger
08-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Loved the video !!

Thanks for sharing.

Dodger.

wildwoods
08-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Again, another stellar video. Nice job B

58thecat
08-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Love the ocean, target a species and if they are not biting bang the bottom, something will grab it:sHa_shakeshout:
A day on the water was always action packed.:)

Brandonkop
08-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Haha... thanks guys. Man sure a different response than I got on sportfishingbc forum. They called this illegal, unethical said I have no etiquette. Not a very friendly crowd over there, haha.

waterninja
08-16-2015, 07:55 AM
Nice vid Brandon. Would have been even more fun if you had hooked up with a big ling cod. Won't be long before your daughter is handling a rod of her own.
Don't know the current rules on rockfish. Why were the people on the other forum upset with you?

Brandonkop
08-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Nice vid Brandon. Would have been even more fun if you had hooked up with a big ling cod. Won't be long before your daughter is handling a rod of her own.
Don't know the current rules on rockfish. Why were the people on the other forum upset with you?

They think it's illegal and unethical to release. Although none of them can show me where it says its unlawful because it's not in the regulations.

I see this as a recurrent theme when fishing bc. I've been told by other anglers online several times that I'm poaching and they threaten to report me. It's all bluffs though cause they don't even know the regs themselves. Just their fabricated delusions. Too much pot over there haha.

Marty S
08-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Yup, they think swinging flies for sockeye is a terrible thing. Strange group. Don't go there, go Alaska forum instead.

RACKER
08-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Great video as always.Glad to hear ya had success.Keep posting your videos as they always entertaining and fun to watch.Just wish I could get out 1/16th as much as you!

EZM
08-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Great video - that looks like fun. Your daughter is going to outfish you soon enough.

There are some areas that are set up as protected areas for rockfish where there is a zero catch limit - but I don't remember seeing anything about fishing for them outside of these areas - so I guess their comments depend on where they think you are fishing I guess.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/map-carte-eng.asp

The tidal regs have the rockfish conservation zones mapped - so as long as you are not in there - catch and keep limits for that zone apply.

EZM
08-20-2015, 10:37 PM
Brandon ...... just came across this in the regs ..... which may explain the reaction(s) you are getting on the BC forums ....

Rockfish
Rockfish stocks, particularly in the Strait of Georgia (Salish Sea), are at low levels. Avoid rockfish by fishing away from rocky reef areas, key habitat for these fish.
Rockfish rarely survive after being caught, so keep what you catch within your limit. Move to another area or change your gear or fishing method if you reach your rockfish limit.
Rockfish Conservation Areas

great video nevertheless - I don't know about the situation with rockfish or what's right/wrong ..... but if you were not breaking the law .... you are probably fine.

Marty S
08-21-2015, 08:36 AM
I guess there's a couple places where a guy isn't supposed to fish rockfish, but not many. Certainly nothing to get all emotional over, and certainly nothing to get committed/institutionalized over.

RCA- Rockfish Conservation Area

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/coyklr/image.jpg1_zpsdgyeqemk.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/coyklr/media/image.jpg1_zpsdgyeqemk.jpg.html)

Fishslayer99
08-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Awesome video Brandon, I like the extension handle on the kicker! It looks like those rockfish are not too picky inhaling those huge jigs!

Brandonkop
08-21-2015, 09:53 PM
great video nevertheless - I don't know about the situation with rockfish or what's right/wrong ..... but if you were not breaking the law .... you are probably fine.

Yes I know the regs well and was not fishing in a Rockfish Conservation area. We had the same type of Rockfish conservation areas in California as well. So I'm familiar with how it works. The part about them not surviving release it untrue. Thats because most people are catching them in 100 to 300 feet of water. I was catching these in 10-20 feet of water... they buzzed off right back down to the bottom no problem.

Awesome video Brandon, I like the extension handle on the kicker! It looks like those rockfish are not too picky inhaling those huge jigs!

Nope Rockfish will eat most anything. I try to use a bigger jig so the little ones done grab it but they still do somehow.

Yeah I got that handle extension at Bass Pro Shop in California.

32-40win
08-22-2015, 02:31 AM
Any time the salmon got slow, just drop it down or move to inshore along the kelp. They can be a lot of fun. Had black ones bouncing off the side of the boat trying to get at a herring bait that was dangling there, foot above the water, school of maybe 1000 were all taking turns at it. Was amazing to watch. I think a few left with bulldog type faces, that had to hurt, they were slamming against the boat head on at full speed. Most of the time I used a 7wt fly rod, squid fly, they couldn't resist it. If you fish deeper, bring them up VERY slow, they'll live.