PDA

View Full Version : Lac La Biche report

adventures
01-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone,

New to this board. Fished Lac La Biche on Saturday. Lots of people at the causeway, but fishing was good for perch. Many little guys, but enough 9-11"ers to keep it interesting. C&R 1 decent pike at sunset. Major melt water on the ice made travel off the trails just about impossible.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has been up to North Buck Lake recently? I normally go on at the campsite (east end), but last year they plowed/piled up snow right near the main road, blocking access into the campsite.

kreator
01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I was also at the causeway on Saturday. The biggest Perch we got was 12 inches. I also caught a 50 cm Walleye, and a 6 pound Pike. We went again on Sunday and for whatever reason, only caught a handful of Perch all day. Last weekend I landed a 15 pound Pike on my little Perch rod, which was equipped with 2 pound line. Here's the photo:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/aarondavies/DSCF5415.jpg

I have not been to North Buck yet, but a friend went 2 weeks ago and his party caught a total of 7 Pike, all less than 4 pounds. There was well over a foot of ice. They got on the ice by parking at the far east end where the road north of Caslan runs along the road and walking out.

Bassett
01-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the report and Welcome to the board!

gonefishn
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
nice pike, thats amaing you didnt break your rod! so where did you say you caught that pike?

kreator
01-22-2009, 01:45 PM
At the causeway to Sir Winston Churchill PP. It had a couple really big runs, then he came up and I missed him! He went back down, and after another minute or two, was able to coax him back up. I didn't miss him that time. He didn't actually put up the fight that most LLB Pike typically do. But in hindsight, it's still amazing the line or the rod didn't break.

-JR-
01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Saturday drove to chump lake and found the road to lake was still not plowed to the lake so we drove to north buck and found the the road threw camp ground was not plowed but did have a 4x4 axle deep trail going in ,so we drove to Beaver where the fishing was very slow . Drove to whitefish lake on the way home and ran out of sun light and only fished for a 1/2 hour ,seen one whitefish on the camera .

Morph1
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
At the causeway to Sir Winston Churchill PP. It had a couple really big runs, then he came up and I missed him! He went back down, and after another minute or two, was able to coax him back up. I didn't miss him that time. He didn't actually put up the fight that most LLB Pike typically do. But in hindsight, it's still amazing the line or the rod didn't break.

I love that park , man its like out of a movie , a one of the kind spot for camping in the summer, just wish there were a bit more sites right by the water..., I usually fish the side across at Plamondon - very nice place as well
lots of nice pike in there in the summer, and also lots of white fish....

Cheers mate, nice pike.

kreator
01-22-2009, 09:23 PM
You got it there. I live a couple minutes from Plamondon Bay and I can tell you, if you know where you're going, the Pike fishing is second to none.

Penner
01-23-2009, 07:33 AM
For those of you whom fish Lac La Biche just wondering what the water is like? Is the water stained more like Beaver Lake or is it clear more like Pinehurst Lake. Never fished Lac La Biche before and I just wanted to know.

Morph1
01-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Last summer the water was pretty clear , very little algae...

adventures
01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Where we were fishing at LLB the water was fairly clear, but it was 30' deep so could only see fish within ~8-10' of the camera.

Thanks for the info on North Buck access. Not sure why the county has stopped plowing the campsite roads up there?

Also thanks to the guy who posted info on the Ice Cube nylok nuts coming loose. I checked mine and most needed to be tightened...

kreator
01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
LLB is relatively clear in late winter and spring (not to the extent of Pinehurst, Seibert or Touchwood), but as you may know is absolutely green in late summer and early fall. I'd say the water quality is equivalent to Beaver Lake most of the year.

North Buck Lake campsite is maintained by Buffalo Metis Settlement, and I do not believe the county of Athabasca plows there. They do plow the Golden Nodding Acres subdivision on the south bay which does have great access to the lake (2 km west of Caslan on Golden Nodding Road). As far as I know, they do not go past the subdivision to Chump Lake, although I have not been there this winter to see.