PDA

View Full Version : Elbow / Rae / Sheep / Tombstone Lakes

jpohlic
08-16-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm taking the wife and kids on their first backpacking trip to Elbow Lake. I've fished there before, along with Tombstone and Talus Lakes, but its been close to 20 years since I've been there.

Has anyone been fishing any of the other lakes in the area recently? Sheep Lake or Rae Lake- do they have any fish? How about the Elbow River - how is it right now? I know the Sheep River is closed temporarily due to high water temps.

My Loomis 4 weight is begging for some action!!

Flieguy
08-16-2015, 06:42 PM
elbow is fun, tons of small brookies like little dries. Rae I've heard hasn't had fish for years, and the upper elbow can be slow but has fish. Tombstone I can't vouch for but I've heard good things about it.

CP27
01-04-2016, 10:44 AM
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd take a shot anyways. I'm planning a backpacking trip in the area this summer - did you end up going to Rae Lake? Was it easy to find? I can't seem to find any directions for marked trails. Are there any fish / has it been restocked or is it empty (read that it was empty due to freezing issues years ago so not sure if it was ever/is ever going to be restocked)?

jpohlic
01-04-2016, 10:55 AM
We camped at Elbow Lake for a couple nights but didn't venture much further. We fished the headwaters of the river but mostly stuck to the lake. I was hoping to get up to Tombstone but it didn't happen.