PDA

View Full Version : Help with entire new gear!!!

Clgy_Dave2.0
08-18-2015, 11:29 AM
As some of you may know, I lost my entire camping and fishing gear to a serious car accident at the start of summer. My fishing gear went back 40 years, consisting of a couple of fly rods, spinning rods and reels and flies and tackle. Plus a bunch of flies I bought in "kits" from someone here on AO.

I quickly gave the insurance company a "ball park" figure of what I thought I lost...I'm quickly realizing I was WAY under. Although they are pretty lenient, as my policy is "replacement" value.
But the thought of heading down to Wholesale and just walking through the aisles, throwing things into a shopping cart, trying to replace all that I lost is just overwhelming. I don't know enough about reels to decide if I need to spend $50 or $300. Same goes for rods, etc. All my gear was purchased back in the late 70's, early 80's. It all worked great, but since then I've never even looked at gear. Belly boat, waders, boots as well.

I'm not an avid fisherman. A few times a year when we go camping, with the odd fishing-specific trip thrown in here n there. So I don't think I need top-of-the-line type stuff. Personally I prefer my fly fishing, but I am more used to small BC lake type fly fishing as opposed to mostly stream/river fly fishing here.

So I'm asking for help. Seriously, if I could pay someone to do this for me, I would hire a personal shopper! lol. I can't even remember all the little stuff I had..(ie: I had a favorite line clipper and hook holder that I don't see around anymore) And you know how many "gimmicks" there out there...I don't want to waste money on useless things.

I had a friend give me his entire "spinning" gear, so I'm good for that end of things. The fly gear is what I need suggestions for.

(Mods: This should probably be moved to the "fly fishing" sub-forum. Sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't already in there)

EZM
08-18-2015, 02:39 PM
May I suggest an approach to your dilemma.

1) Determine overall budget (example $3000)
2) Allocate $ to each category
a) Fly Rod/Reels/Line (2 set ups) $1500
b) Waders / Vest / boots $750
c) Flys, tools and Boxes $500
d) Misc $250

etc...

That way you can research and break everything down as you go and do 3-4 trips instead of making the mistake and then reaching the till to be left without everything you need and way over budget.

dodgeboy1979
08-19-2015, 10:21 AM
****ty deal, i feel your pain. I lost all my fishin gear in a garage fire last summer. My recommendation (from experience) is to see if you can tally all your stuff with prices and get them to pay you out. That way you can go buy at your leisure your gear back, .....and hopefully get it on sale so you can buy more.

DarkAisling
08-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Oh boy. I do not envy you.

Do you remember any of the brand names of your old gear? If you had "premium" gear, you should replace it with "premium" gear. You are paying a premium on your insurance for replacement value. If you really aren't sure, are you the type who always buys the "best," the cheapest, or do you tend to look for a combination of quality and value? (Since we're getting "personal" I'm typically a "combination" to "best" shopper).

I'm not making any recommendations for now. I want to ensure that you're not cheating yourself, and that you're getting as close to what you're entitled to as possible. I know you're overwhelmed, so I don't want you buying stuff just to get it over and done with.

For flies (okay, I'm about to make a recommendation), I'd just order through Icky (http://www.ickyflyworks.ca/).
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=61064 (for discount code)

I have piles of Ben's flies, and they're great value, well tied, and they last well. It is hard to go wrong with them.

Clgy_Dave2.0
08-19-2015, 04:43 PM
****ty deal, i feel your pain. I lost all my fishin gear in a garage fire last summer. My recommendation (from experience) is to see if you can tally all your stuff with prices and get them to pay you out. That way you can go buy at your leisure your gear back, .....and hopefully get it on sale so you can buy more.

Well I've done that to a certain extent. I gave them a list of everything I could remember, came up with what I originally paid for it, along with what I feel it's worth now. And they wrote me a cheque for the total. But when they do that, they give you what's called "Actual Cash Value". ACV. Which is depreciated quite a bit. Usually between 30 to 50% of replacement cost, or if fairly new, of what I paid for it.

Example:
A fly rod that I paid $100 for in 1980. I give it a rough value of say, $200 in today's value. Insurance then says, "okay, it's 30 years old..we'll give you 50% of replacement value, it's "ACV". So here's $100"

Now if I go out and buy a brand new rod that costs me $200...they will reimburse me for the full $200, and top up the $100 they already paid me.

So buying used, or "sale" stuff really isn't to my advantage. When I can just buy brand new, and they'll replace it.

Oh boy. I do not envy you.

Do you remember any of the brand names of your old gear? If you had "premium" gear, you should replace it with "premium" gear. You are paying a premium on your insurance for replacement value. If you really aren't sure, are you the type who always buys the "best," the cheapest, or do you tend to look for a combination of quality and value? (Since we're getting "personal" I'm typically a "combination" to "best" shopper).

I'm not making any recommendations for now. I want to ensure that you're not cheating yourself, and that you're getting as close to what you're entitled to as possible. I know you're overwhelmed, so I don't want you buying stuff just to get it over and done with.

For flies (okay, I'm about to make a recommendation), I'd just order through Icky (http://www.ickyflyworks.ca/).
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=61064 (for discount code)

I have piles of Ben's flies, and they're great value, well tied, and they last well. It is hard to go wrong with them.

Yeah I'll probably do a huge package buy from Icky. I think that's who I purchased from originally.

It's rods and reels I'm in the dark about. My gear was probably "low to middle end" type stuff.

But it's been a logistics nightmare. Hundreds and hundreds of "items" that I have to replace, keep receipts, submit receipts, figure if it's better the keep the ACV value, or replace the item, etc, etc....you have no idea how much it takes the "fun" out of shopping for new stuff. It's been stressful to say the least.

DarkAisling
08-20-2015, 09:15 AM
I just thought about something.

I know you were considering shopping at Wholesale, but have you thought about the Fishing Hole?

I have always received extraordinary service from the Fishing Hole. What I would do, if I was the one going through this, is call Kelly and tell him I would like book an appointment with the sales associate who was most knowledgeable about fly fishing to replace all of my fly fishing gear for an insurance claim. I'd make it clear that I needed everything: rods, reels, clothing, lines, net, wading staff, float tube, and all of the little odds and ends.

This would ensure personalized, dedicated service, and one receipt to submit. They have a lot of fly fishing stuff: from budget to premium, from tippet holders to rods. I've purchased almost everything I have from them (with the exception of my rods, a couple of reels, and my spey line).

It would be advantageous for them to do this, too. It would be a big sale for someone.

Clgy_Dave2.0
08-23-2015, 10:13 AM
I just thought about something.

I know you were considering shopping at Wholesale, but have you thought about the Fishing Hole?

I have always received extraordinary service from the Fishing Hole. What I would do, if I was the one going through this, is call Kelly and tell him I would like book an appointment with the sales associate who was most knowledgeable about fly fishing to replace all of my fly fishing gear for an insurance claim. I'd make it clear that I needed everything: rods, reels, clothing, lines, net, wading staff, float tube, and all of the little odds and ends.

This would ensure personalized, dedicated service, and one receipt to submit. They have a lot of fly fishing stuff: from budget to premium, from tippet holders to rods. I've purchased almost everything I have from them (with the exception of my rods, a couple of reels, and my spey line).

It would be advantageous for them to do this, too. It would be a big sale for someone.

That's a great idea Shelly, I think I'll do exactly that.

Nester
08-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Mec.ca

Go here. Your welcome.

MOAhunter
08-23-2015, 11:30 PM
Mec.ca

Go here. Your welcome.

They don't sell fishing stuff.

Although I always find it very entertaining to ask the most granola looking staff member where to find the trapping supplies whenever I go there. 😜