PDA

View Full Version : Mouth of the pembina river

embury93
08-19-2015, 01:13 PM
I tried walking down to where the pembina flows into the athabasca last year but must have missed the trail leading down to the mouth and ended up just going to the mouth of the paddle instead. I'd like to see if someone might be willing to show me or give me some info. Ive read all the other threads on it but its such a long walk and a good spot at the same time that would be amazing to spend the day there catch some big walleye

Talking moose
08-19-2015, 01:34 PM
I tried walking down to where the pembina flows into the athabasca last year but must have missed the trail leading down to the mouth and ended up just going to the mouth of the paddle instead. I'd like to see if someone might be willing to show me or give me some info. Ive read all the other threads on it but its such a long walk and a good spot at the same time that would be amazing to spend the day there catch some big walleye

Someone posted a map on here awhile back. Or download google earth and zoom in.

Warmbreeze
08-21-2015, 03:25 PM
I have wanted to check out that area myself. Was wondering if you could run a 12 foot tin boat with a 9.9 on that area of the Pembina? Or can you reach some holes in that area from shore?

Fishslayer99
08-21-2015, 06:34 PM
I would not try that, it is a very shallow river 80% of the river is less than 2ft deep, some sections well under a foot. There are a few nice holes but they are few and far between. No outboards on that one, even a jet would be a challenge.

-JR-
08-22-2015, 02:07 PM
If you were in Edmonton , I could show you . It is a little tricky to find as the farmer has a closed gait across the county road that dead ends past the parking area. I knew the farmer next doors years ago and he said ,David Thomson had a trading post set up there back in the day ,U of A did come down and made a dig.
Found some stuff like dices made out of Ivory.
First time I was there ,a float plain was there doing some walleye fishing and the pilot told me its the best spot in all of Alberta for walleye.

embury93
08-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Im not in Edmonton but I live in Barrhead which is on the way out there. I'd go down myself if I had an atv or if I still had my rifle but I don't have either anymore. Its sort of a long walk but with terrible cell reception and the amount of bears in that area I just feel it'd be better to go with someone who knows the area better. Last year I parked my truck at the first deep cutout in the road and walked down but went to far and never did find the trail.

-JR-
08-22-2015, 04:37 PM
It is a long walk down ,done it a few times and always said ,next timeI will take my ATV.
Its only one trail down ,guys at one time would take their 4x4 trucks down ,just to get the farmer to pull them out when it rained.

embury93
08-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Is there a store up in Flatbush that sells bait and things like rigs, etc.? I might just go this week and bring a bike, take some pics and see how the fishing is.

Kurt505
08-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Is there a store up in Flatbush that sells bait and things like rigs, etc.? I might just go this week and bring a bike, take some pics and see how the fishing is.

Stop at Dapp store on hwy44 on the way there.

davegrant
08-22-2015, 05:49 PM
The Mouth is hit and miss for fish. We've always drove thru gate just use respect and open and close behind you. Trail down is a big patch of spruce trees on a bend past the tin gas shack. Frozen minnows if u want walleye / burbot / pike. Worms for goldeye. Found an old wrap and tie axe head there couple years ago and spotted a couple wolves too. Fairly busy Sept long and not too many spots to fish.

Pencilweed
08-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Was a great spot,but like most places its a fraction of what it once was.

embury93
08-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Still be worth it I feel giving it a shot, with the size of some of the fish that have come from that spot. Does anyone have any pics of the area?

AB RANGER 007
08-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Alberta Young Gun 93, Get yourself a GPS unit and copy the Lat/Longs from the left side of this JPEG/PIC, and they will get you there.

Bruce.

embury93
08-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Thanks I have google maps on my phone and just marked it dont know how good my cell reception will be out there though. Is the trail fairly obviously like wide enough that atv's and stuff go down. I just got back from the store here in Barrhead, stocked up on a few things, im going to head out first thing tmrw morning.

AB RANGER 007
08-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks I have google maps on my phone and just marked it dont know how good my cell reception will be out there though. Is the trail fairly obviously like wide enough that atv's and stuff go down. I just got back from the store here in Barrhead, stocked up on a few things, im going to head out first thing tmrw morning.

Polaris Ranger 6x6 pulling a boat/trailer down and up, OK. There is space at the top of the trail to park off the main road into this area, but the MR might be rough going in. It has been a few years since I was out there.

BRUCE.

embury93
08-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Went down there today, was a group of about 10 with quads on the point as well as 2 boats anchored down right in the middle of the river. Nobody was catching anything, very slow. The pike had no size to them and the walleye fishing was even worse, they were so small(bait fish). The road in wasnt much better, pockets of the road are so deep and torn up. I'm just going to stick to the mouth of the paddle and some of the holes I know around Barrhead for now as still seem to be producing nice size fish.

AB RANGER 007
08-24-2015, 08:37 AM
Went down there today, was a group of about 10 with quads on the point as well as 2 boats anchored down right in the middle of the river. Nobody was catching anything, very slow. The pike had no size to them and the walleye fishing was even worse, they were so small(bait fish). The road in wasnt much better, pockets of the road are so deep and torn up. I'm just going to stick to the mouth of the paddle and some of the holes I know around Barrhead for now as still seem to be producing nice size fish.

Thanks for the PIX.

Bruce.

ROA
08-24-2015, 11:43 AM
The blue boat in the pic was me. We showed up and no one was there, got a few fish right away. 20 minutes later a bunch of people came on quads, another boat came and then we left. Was a long run up from the Fort, don't know if I would do it again, centanly not on a week end. Typical aberta fishing, to many people not enough fish.

Pencilweed
08-24-2015, 12:07 PM
20 years ago it was a very special spot.It was rare to not have it to yourself,mostly locals fished it.

embury93
08-24-2015, 10:55 PM
The blue boat in the pic was me. We showed up and no one was there, got a few fish right away. 20 minutes later a bunch of people came on quads, another boat came and then we left. Was a long run up from the Fort, don't know if I would do it again, centanly not on a week end. Typical aberta fishing, to many people not enough fish.
Myself and that group of people did catch a couple throughout the afternoon but they were so small. I think the one guy might have thought that this was his little spot, was casting fairly close it seemed to your boat at times. Doesn't help though that after you guys left they all started hammering beers, yelling whenever they had a bite with the music playing. All in all it was a long trek there and back, and the results were miniscule, maybe i'll try again next year but for now stick to my holes around Barrhead.