PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Lake Blue Gren Algae?

DiabeticKripple
08-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Is there a bloom this year? Is it bad?

Thinking of heading there this weekend to fill some tags.

xring_assassin
08-20-2015, 02:20 PM
It's bad.

And some areas have excessively high levels of faecal coliform bacteria...beaches shut down etc...I haven't been there for two weeks though - I saw some of the blooms and was able to just avoid those areas a couple weeks ago.

Hopefully someone who has been there more recently will chime in.

DiabeticKripple
08-20-2015, 05:43 PM
I reserved a spot at the PP for the weekend.

Never been there, but I figure I could troll to find some eyes or anchor up to a city of boats if there is one.

EZM
08-20-2015, 06:08 PM
I reserved a spot at the PP for the weekend.

Never been there, but I figure I could troll to find some eyes or anchor up to a city of boats if there is one.

If it's too gross go down the road 20 minutes to Battle.

DiabeticKripple
08-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Will keep that in mind

lakerman
08-20-2015, 08:28 PM
Same at lac St Anne yesterday, some guys still waterskiing and the fishing was slow and the ones caught where on the whiter side, waiter was like a green glass color for the whole day!

Bobby B.
08-21-2015, 09:01 AM
I fished Pigeon this past Wednesday. I launched at Mulhurst. The algae bloom was terrible. There were spherical clumps of algae the size of marbles floating amongst the thick soupy algae. Visibility was around 6".

Bobby

Lowrance Fishburn
08-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Heading to Pigeon tomorrow for a day of fishing, any advice for walleye there given the content of algae? How bad is visibility? Anyone know whats working best this time of year? Leach? Worm? Good ol' spoon/crankbait? Any tips would be much appreciated as I havent fished Pigeon in a while and hope to show my friend a good time and get him "hooked"

Cheers

Kurt505
08-21-2015, 10:01 AM
I've always had good luck dragging a leach right on the bottom of lake. I never fish in front of the pp, always south of the bay off the point by the cabins on the West shore.

DiabeticKripple
08-21-2015, 10:28 AM
How was the fishing Bobby?

I plan on jigging, but I am also prepared to troll with crank baits.

Bobby B.
08-21-2015, 10:38 AM
How was the fishing Bobby?

I plan on jigging, but I am also prepared to troll with crank baits.

Since I was fishing alone, I decided to take the opportunity to experiment. I spent a couple hours trolling a LiveTarget YP158D perch hoping to hook some large walleye while exploring new areas of the lake. I never had a bite.

I switched to a jig with minnow and tried that. The water was such a mess I decided to pack up and go home to drink red wine on my deck. Never got a bite.

Bobby

rawkin
08-30-2015, 09:03 AM
I fished Pigeon lake on the 26th. The algae bloom was so thick it looked like a carpet on the water. The fishing was very good for my son and I. We caught the majority of our fish in 22 feet of water vertical Jigging. 3 tubs of minnows lasted about 5 hours.

JimmerAB
08-30-2015, 09:47 PM
I was there this weekend. The wind blew a great amount into our beach and launch area. I tried to attach a picture, but it wouldn't upload to AO. I have never seen anything like it. There were floating chunks the size of kitchen sinks all bunched together as far out into the lake as you could see. Kids were throwing rocks out onto the bloom, and the rocks would just bounce across the top and never fall through into the water! I've had property out there for 15 years now, and have never seen anything even close to this.

JimmerAB
08-30-2015, 09:49 PM
I was able to upload one of the pictures, but not sure why it loaded on its' side. But you'll still get the idea...

Jim

JimmerAB
08-30-2015, 09:54 PM
And another one...

Penner
08-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Any dead Whitefish showing up on the beaches like in years past?

As long as landowners continue to use fertilizers or ranch cattle within the drainage basin that lake will only continue to get worse.

Sumara
08-31-2015, 01:31 AM
That's some seriously bad algae. Any lakes near Pigeon or Edmonton where the algae isn't so bad?

trowland
08-31-2015, 09:22 PM
I think Sylvan and Gull are algae free.

BEL
08-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Trowland, the fishing on Pigeon Saturday morning was very good. BEL

CBintheNorth
08-31-2015, 11:34 PM
I was there this weekend. The wind blew a great amount into our beach and launch area. I tried to attach a picture, but it wouldn't upload to AO. I have never seen anything like it. There were floating chunks the size of kitchen sinks all bunched together as far out into the lake as you could see. Kids were throwing rocks out onto the bloom, and the rocks would just bounce across the top and never fall through into the water! I've had property out there for 15 years now, and have never seen anything even close to this.

But I'll bet that everyone's lawn is lush and pristine, just like last year.

Very sad what has happened to that lake in the last decade.