PDA

View Full Version : Campbell River charter reccomendation???

MOAhunter
08-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Help!
Heading out to the island on short notice and I'd like a reccomendation for a trusted fishing charter. I'm flying into Comox and would be happy fishing either there or Campbell River. I like posting pics so if I get anything worthwhile I'll share the experience best I can.

Thanks

Gongshow
08-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Last year i fished with these two outfits. Both were excellent and we caught lots.

Campbellriverfishing.ca

And

Absolutesportfishing.ca

Gongshow.

1bluZebec
08-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Painters lodge guides

1bluZebec
08-21-2015, 09:49 PM
April's point aswell on Quadra island just across from painters lodge

nrsmatth
08-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Just got our limit with Murphy's sport fishing.

Positrac
08-22-2015, 05:47 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=251774&highlight=Campbell+River

A quick search turned up a few recent threads asking the same question.

Also, I didn't know that Murphy Sport Fishing was now working out of Campbell River. I've fished next to them on the west coast and they are great.

Marty S
08-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Sorry to derail, what kind of a limit will you get at Cambell River? All pinks and chum or is there a bunch of springs and coho coming thru? I take this is in the salt?

Divert
08-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Went recently with costal wilderness adventures, was an excellent guy. New equipment, very nice boat and very personable.

tikka250
08-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Sea J charters has always been my first pick. carl lives to fish and will always put you on the best odds possible and uses nothing but the best gear around. if thats too pricey go to painters lodge or april point and just hang out and ask the guests about the guides they used as some are good and some are not so much (trust me i worked on the docks for 2 years)

medhatken
08-29-2015, 05:49 PM
X2 for Coastal Wilderness Adventures, Curtis and Gene were excellent!
Same as you we went on short notice, we just got back a week ago.
Everything was booked up but they had a cancellation, that was the only way we got in.
We caught our limit of chinooks on our 8hr charter.

Good luck, we sure had some!

fishman
08-29-2015, 09:50 PM
We finally got rain out here the springs r heading into the rivers now
Lots of pinks in Campbell river
Lots of springs being caught in the salt up and down island
Coho r starting to move to
This rain should clean some of the pinks out of the salt so u can down to the springs

Bear Ballz
08-30-2015, 09:43 PM
Just curious as to how the fishing is in that area around Thanksgiving?
Thanks

fishman
08-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Just curious as to how the fishing is in that area around Thanksgiving?
Thanks

R u looking at ocean or fresh

Bear Ballz
08-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Ocean is what we're leaning towards but I'm easy. Only be out for a few days so we just figured an ocean charter would be quickest and easiest?

medhatken
08-31-2015, 05:05 PM
When we were there I was told a lot of the fresh water fishing was shut down due to the hot, dry conditions

fishman
08-31-2015, 07:41 PM
Freshwater open
Campbell river. And quinsam
Ocean fishing October 12th. Will be some coho still in the chuck
Freshwater. U will be catching coho mostly with odd pink around
Springs r coming in right now be good for a couple more weeks for them
Every year is diffrent

Bear Ballz
08-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info

fishman
08-31-2015, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the info

Your welcome
U can ways give me a shout when u get out here
I can take u river fishing or at least I'll know whats
Happening

Mitchthefisher
09-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Coastal Island fishing adventures!

Bear Ballz
09-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Your welcome
U can ways give me a shout when u get out here
I can take u river fishing or at least I'll know whats
Happening

Thanks fishman, I appreciate the help

Positrac
09-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Coastal Island fishing adventures!

Gary knows how to catch fish, his gear is top notch and his Grady is one of the nicest boats in the Campbell River area.

Serengeti Charters
09-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info

Gotta get you back out here next summer bud. ;)

Bear Ballz
09-01-2015, 02:14 PM

My arms are still sore 😃

Z7fulldraw
09-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Painters lodge. Try and get Max as your guide

Mitchthefisher
09-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Gary knows how to catch fish, his gear is top notch and his Grady is one of the nicest boats in the Campbell River area.

Yup fantastic guide! We slayed all day on his boat and caught some monster sockeye.

Marty S
09-01-2015, 07:44 PM

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Take me! Take Me!

You guys are my hero's!!!

All I can catch is these dirty little kiyutes!

Positrac
09-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Painters lodge. Try and get Max as your guide

Painters is a cheap way to get on the water in Campbell River and they do have the odd guide that is not bad. When the fishing is good you will get fish but when the fishing is slow it pays to hire an experienced guide and most that have been around and know what they are doing won't work for Painters.

A lot of the guides at Painters are students that were taught how to guide at the beginning of the season and have no prior experience fishing or running a boat.

Like I said there are exceptions to the rule and the odd good guide does find himself back working for Painters, but they are usually not there long.

MOAhunter
09-02-2015, 12:42 AM
I was a little too short notice to book with any of the reccomended guides. So the wife took the reigns and booked some whale watching and bears.

The bear tour was really good. Always wanted to see that in person, since I'd seen bears fishing salmon choked rivers on nature shows as a child.
A two hour boat ride from Campbell River to some remote river at the mainland is where the Bears were at. The wife and I had pre-tour safety meeting between us prior to bear viewing and decided the best strategy would be to never stray too far from those less fit than us should things go sideways. Fortunately all went well and she got hundreds of great pics and video. Notice the fish tail sticking out of the sows mouth.

The orca were uber impressive and I could watch for hours. I'll be back.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n546/milnegordon/image.jpg2_zps7eo5wlsp.jpg (http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/milnegordon/media/image.jpg2_zps7eo5wlsp.jpg.html)
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n546/milnegordon/image.jpg1_zpshw3x1snb.jpg (http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/milnegordon/media/image.jpg1_zpshw3x1snb.jpg.html)

Bear Ballz
09-02-2015, 08:58 AM
What outfit did you go on your tour with?

MOAhunter
09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
What outfit did you go on your tour with?

http://campbellriverwhalewatching.com

They had seemed to have a good sense of getting close enough to get photos but not so close to place people in danger or disturb wildlife too much.

Never tried any other outfits so I can't compare. A faster super zoom would have been nice but we got our pics with a Nikkor 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6

Bear Ballz
09-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Looks pretty sweet, thanks for info