PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with baitfish

LIVE2FISH
08-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Just wondering if it is legal to fish with DEAD perch? I know you can't use live baitfish, but not sure about perch that is dead? Could not find it in the regulations. Just wondering. Thanks!

Lefty-Canuck
08-23-2015, 11:16 AM
NO....not here in Alberta.

LC

chunter893
08-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Perch are a game fish so you can't use the whole thing as bait. However, you can use the skin, eyes, fins, and eggs as bait (even where there is a bait fish ban).
Here is the relevant section of the regulations (http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/general-regs.html#fishingwithbaitfish)

diamond k
08-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Perch are a game fish so you can't use the whole thing as bait. However, you can use the skin, eyes, fins, and eggs as bait (even where there is a bait fish ban).
Here is the relevant section of the regulations (http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/general-regs.html#fishingwithbaitfish)

might want to read that section again regarding bait bans

Penner
08-24-2015, 07:29 AM
might want to read that section again regarding bait bans

X2. Best read the regs one more time.

Lefty-Canuck
08-24-2015, 08:17 AM

As pointed out....re-read this :)

Fishing with Bait Fish

Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.
Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.

LC

chunter893
08-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Well yes, I thought that was pretty obvious. Don't use bait where there is a bait ban... But where it is allowed then yes you CAN use the specified parts of the game fish. Unless there is some province wide bait ban in effect that I don't know about?

Lefty-Canuck
08-24-2015, 09:14 PM
There was a bit of a confusing part of your post, just wanted to make sure it was clarified.

LC

chunter893
08-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Fair enough, I suppose I did word that a bit oddly haha. I'll go back and edit it.

...or not! I think the window for editing the post timed out so I'll fix it here:

Using the eyes, skin, fins, and eggs of a game fish as bait does not fall into the same category as fishing with bait fish. IE, it can still be used in a water body that allows bait, but does not allow bait fish specifically.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion I may have caused :bad_boys_20: