PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee

Bobby B.
08-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Hi guys.

What's everyone's favorite set up for downrigging kokanee?

Bobby

EZM
08-23-2015, 11:24 AM
1) Mainline to 2oz or 3oz mooching sinker (banana weight with swivels on both end)

2) Mooching sinker to snubber

3) Snubber to a set of willow leafs

4) Willow leafs to 24" of line to a Apex

The Apex is a hot pink Kokanee Killer in a 1.5" or 2" size.

If you are downrigging - skip the mooching sinker and snubber ...... same set up.

Pixel Shooter
08-23-2015, 11:40 AM
very similar to EZM. Ultra light rod. A rubber snubber is a must, luv using spin and glow's, not with white wings but same material that is on flashers, maggot and a 2ft leader with weight above swivel on leader. have also had really good luck on the small apex's. I find otherways in using flashers other than on the line, takes away from enjoying any fight when using willow leafs or flashers ;) Amazing what other fish will take that set up :)

EZM
08-23-2015, 12:10 PM
very similar to EZM. Ultra light rod. A rubber snubber is a must, luv using spin and glow's, not with white wings but same material that is on flashers, maggot and a 2ft leader with weight above swivel on leader. have also had really good luck on the small apex's. I find otherways in using flashers other than on the line, takes away from enjoying any fight when using willow leafs or flashers ;) Amazing what other fish will take that set up :)

I was thinking of using a spin n'glow trailing behind a small flasher (like a spoon) but never have gotten around to it on kokanee - I'm sure this would work well.

The key to kokanees is dragging a small presentation just below surface when they are actively feeding - I'm convinced you can throw almost anything out there.

My daughter cast out a mepps spinner (like a size 2 or 3) and was hammering kokanees (and some rainbows) on the surface as well. no weight and it probably only sunk when the boat turned to her inside ...... when Kokanee are feeding ....... just get something in front of them and they will bite it.

At first I was watching the spinner skip off the top and was about to tell her (gently) that this was not going to work - then the barrage fish started to attack (and my 12 year old was busy reeling in fish after fish).

Deep
08-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Hooked many of them off the back of the houseboat using a "wedding ring" lure.

Diamondhitch
08-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Wedding ring with a small rainbow colored flatfish trailing 12" behind.

Best tip is to attach your willow leaf, or my favorite ford fender, to the back of the downrigger ball and attach your release clip 6" above the highest point that your flasher will spin and run your lure 6-8 feet back or so. That way you can use light line and fight the fish instead of your flasher. Its far more fun that way and you can use light line.