PDA

View Full Version : Favorite manual downriggers

Bobby B.
08-24-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm considering the purchase of a Cannon downrigger for kokanee and rainbows. My boat is a 14 ft Naden. Any suggestions?

Bobby

Tfng
08-24-2015, 10:21 AM
I really like the 1080 Scotty's with the larger spool.

dodgeboy1979
08-24-2015, 10:37 AM
i run the scotty 1060s on my boat, 2 ft per rotation on the handcrank

Kurt505
08-24-2015, 11:16 AM
I think I've got the Scotty 1090 longarms. I'd suggest one with a 2ft per turn retrieve. I've got the longarm style, but if you're only going to run two rods you wouldn't need a longarm style. The biggest thing is the retrieve rate with manual downriggers, I don't know enough about them to be brand loyal, the only kind I've ever used in fresh water or the salt is Scotty though.

xring_assassin
08-24-2015, 11:33 AM
I love my cannon easi-troll...I don't like the feel of the horizontal winding on the scotty's. Personal preference i suppose...

Bobby B.
08-24-2015, 11:56 AM
I love my cannon easi-troll...I don't like the feel of the horizontal winding on the scotty's. Personal preference i suppose...

The vertical winding is one reason I was leaning towards the Cannon over the Scotty. How heavy of a cannonball is the Easi-Troll rated for?

Bobby

Mountain King
08-24-2015, 01:48 PM
For a manual Downrigger cannon is the way to go I my opinion the vertical winding and the the clutched deploy is awsome. Electrics are a different story I think the Scotty's are better in that area.

EZM
08-24-2015, 01:53 PM
The vertical winding is one reason I was leaning towards the Cannon over the Scotty. How heavy of a cannonball is the Easi-Troll rated for?

Bobby

I'm pretty sure they are rated to 20 lbs (I have a 1080 strongarm) - but a 10 lb ball is plenty heavy on the hand crank.

It is nice to have the long arm at 2 feet a turn - a big advantage to some of the Scotty products despite the counter intuitive horizontal wind - you just get used to it - not a big deal really.

xring_assassin
08-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Easi-troll has chart for 12# - I would assume that means it can handle up to 12#...

I'm running an 8lb with no issue at all :P

Bobby B.
08-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Easi-troll has chart for 12# - I would assume that means it can handle up to 12#...

I'm running an 8lb with no issue at all :P

Thank you. I think I'll be running an 8lb as well.

Also, thanks to everyone else for their contributions. Much appreciated.

Bobby

Brandonkop
08-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Yeah go with the Cannon... the clutch system is great and vertical winding way better than horizontal. I use the Uni-Troll 5ST and think they are great. One of my handles stripped though. The company says the odd one does that, just a warning. The breaking system on Scotty's is a two hand job and not very conducive to doing things on your own. You have to manage the break, handle and rod with scotty, just the handle and rod with cannon.

Tfng
08-24-2015, 07:54 PM
The Scotty brake releases automatically when you retrieve and also automatically locks when you lower it. So only one hand needed. This is handy when fighting fish alone. Edit- normally locks- occasionally I help it with my knee

You can use two hands to lower it or you can grab the brake and thumb the edge of the spool to lower it.

I'm not familiar with the Cannons so can't comment there. I would check the retrieve rate per turn. Coming up a steep hump might have you cranking a lot.

Brandonkop
08-24-2015, 08:21 PM
The Scotty brake releases automatically when you retrieve and also automatically locks when you lower it. So only one hand needed. This is handy when fighting fish alone. Edit- normally locks- occasionally I help it with my knee

You can use two hands to lower it or you can grab the brake and thumb the edge of the spool to lower it.

I'm not familiar with the Cannons so can't comment there. I would check the retrieve rate per turn. Coming up a steep hump might have you cranking a lot.

I've used both and prefer the Cannon vertical crank. The one I have is 2:1 ratio for cranking, very fast and feels more natural.

The reason most people have Scotty up in Canada is because it is made in Canada and the most frequently carried in Tackle stores and Canadian tire. So if you want to support a Canadian Company buy Scotty. I think the Manual Cannons are better, but I hear the Scotty Electrics are the way to go.

Kurt505
08-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Yeah go with the Cannon... the clutch system is great and vertical winding way better than horizontal. I use the Uni-Troll 5ST and think they are great. One of my handles stripped though. The company says the odd one does that, just a warning. The breaking system on Scotty's is a two hand job and not very conducive to doing things on your own. You have to manage the break, handle and rod with scotty, just the handle and rod with cannon.

Lol, I have yet to come across a fisherman who needs two people to run a manual Scotty, ever. A cannon manual might be easier to run, but if you're capable of walking and chewing gum, you're not going to have a problem running a manual Scotty solo.

6gunner
08-24-2015, 11:09 PM
Costco online has a manual cannon kit for $309.00. It comes with a swivel base, 8lb ball and a clip

Brandonkop
08-25-2015, 12:49 AM
Lol, I have yet to come across a fisherman who needs two people to run a manual Scotty, ever. A cannon manual might be easier to run, but if you're capable of walking and chewing gum, you're not going to have a problem running a manual Scotty solo.

I didn't say you need two people. I said two hands compared to one hand with cannon. I understand if that's what you own, you get used to it. That's all I ever used growing up as well, but in my opinion Cannon is better.

Kurt505
08-25-2015, 02:46 AM
I didn't say you need two people. I said two hands compared to one hand with cannon. I understand if that's what you own, you get used to it. That's all I ever used growing up as well, but in my opinion Cannon is better.

I thought when you said "not very conducive doing things on your own" you were inferring it's not easy to do with one person.

I'm not arguing that the Scotty is better or worse because I've never ran a Cannon, and they very well could be the way to go, but using a Scotty can be done with one hand if you adjust the brake properly.

Bobby B.
08-25-2015, 07:39 AM
Another question for the experienced downrigger users. Let's say you are fishing alone on Kalamalka Lake in BC and you have 2 rods out, each on their own downrigger. One rod goes off with a fish on. Do you simply reel in the hooked fish or do you first reel up your 2 downriggers and other rod?

Bobby

EZM
08-25-2015, 08:00 AM
The breaking system on Scotty's is a two hand job and not very conducive to doing things on your own. You have to manage the break, handle and rod with scotty, just the handle and rod with cannon.

You only need one hand if you use it properly - Scotty is real easy - unless you don't know how to use it (I could see that being an issue as it's not intuitive and men, myself included, don't read instructions).

I went with Scotty because I was happy with the rod holders and, by a long shot, can find parts anywhere. ANd there are way more models and accessories to choose from.

High rise bases, releases, swivel mounts, etc... are on every shelf in every town out here in Western Canada ...... that's a bonus for me.

Although I haven't use a Cannon Much (a few times on my cousins boat) - they are, after all, manual down-riggers ..... both will work fine.

Tfng
08-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Another question for the experienced downrigger users. Let's say you are fishing alone on Kalamalka Lake in BC and you have 2 rods out, each on their own downrigger. One rod goes off with a fish on. Do you simply reel in the hooked fish or do you first reel up your 2 downriggers and other rod?

Bobby

I've tried it where legal. You're asking for tangles and cut off fish. There are lots of variables but it can be done. Generally more headache than its worth.

If you are fishing fairly deep with short leads you could leave the boat in gear and hope to keep the fish above the other line. If you get a fish you can't keep from circling the boat it's gone.

The other option is set the hook and put it back in the rod holder and hope the boat moving forward keeps enough tension on the fish while you clear the other line.

Running the boat, reeling a fish in, reeling in another line and two manual down riggers is a lot for one guy. I think you would quickly get tired of the hassle.

EZM
08-25-2015, 08:34 AM
I've tried it where legal. You're asking for tangles and cut off fish. There are lots of variables but it can be done. Generally more headache than its worth.

If you are fishing fairly deep with short leads you could leave the boat in gear and hope to keep the fish above the other line. If you get a fish you can't keep from circling the boat it's gone.

The other option is set the hook and put it back in the rod holder and hope the boat moving forward keeps enough tension on the fish while you clear the other line.

Running the boat, reeling a fish in, reeling in another line and two manual down riggers is a lot for one guy. I think you would quickly get tired of the hassle.

Agreed - I learned this the hard way ....

If I'm in BC, and allowed 2 rods, I run one on the rigger and another at surface or off a dipsy.

The rigger set back is always short.

The boat stays in gear and I adjust the wheel to keep it moving straight ahead as I'm fighting the fish.

This is where a electric retrieve comes in handy for us occasional down rigger user ..... probably worth every penny.

It's way easier to manage for the reasons listed above.

Brandonkop
08-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Bobby

This shows exactly how it is done... Kalamalka, two downriggers, two rods, all alone and double header kokanee both landed.

When you have a fish on just real the fish in forget everything else in the water when alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fchfcgAYBY&app=desktop

Willowtrail
08-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Bobby, Don't forget the wall to wall sale at the fishin hole starts tomorrow so you can save 20% most likely on them. I'm a Scotty fan but I run electric units.

As for catching with multiple lines, we used to reel up the non fish line but recently switched to keeping the line down and keep the boat moving.

Pinhead
08-25-2015, 10:50 PM
This shows exactly how it is done... Kalamalka, two downriggers, two rods, all alone and double header kokanee both landed.

When you have a fish on just real the fish in forget everything else in the water when alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fchfcgAYBY&app=desktop

Just out of curiosity, why do you use a spinning rod on your levelwinds?
I have seen it in other videos of yours. Since the spine is not ment to bend that way, it can be very hard on the rod, although that does look like an ugly stik, so maybe it has handled it. I would be very leary of doing that with a graphite or carbon fibre rod.

Dan

Brandonkop
08-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you use a spinning rod on your levelwinds?
I have seen it in other videos of yours. Since the spine is not ment to bend that way, it can be very hard on the rod, although that does look like an ugly stik, so maybe it has handled it. I would be very leary of doing that with a graphite or carbon fibre rod.

Dan

It's just a rod that I had along that was heavy enough to put on the downrigger. I understand it's a spinning rod and not optimal but It's what I have in the video. It catches fish. It is an ugly stick, unlikely to break whatever way you bend it. I think you can bend most rods anyway you want since they are the same composition 365 degrees around the blank. But I'm no rod maker.

I'm too cheap to buy new rods for everything I do... I do way too many different types of fishing so I just get by with what I have. Although had to buy 4 rods for salmon fishing and next will need a river bait caster and maybe a center pin or spey caster.... see too many rods it gets expensive.

Bobby B.
08-26-2015, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys. Great info and discussion going on here.

Bobby

Tfng
08-26-2015, 10:28 AM
There's no arguing with Brandon's video. He was successful and provided a video to prove it while also staying strictly within the parameters of your question. There was also a certain amount of luck not losing the second fish.

My experience running two downriggers solo is with salmon fishing. I think it depends on how well you can control the fish. Bringing in large fish with cable in the water is asking for trouble. A fish wrapped around a cable virtually guarantees you will lose it. I'd hate to lose a big fish for the benefit of running two rods.

We regularly leave the second rigger down while lake trout fishing and often pick up a double header but that is with two guys and it gets pulled if we think it's a good one.

Are double digit Rainbows caught in Kamalka? Things would get interesting quickly I think.

It won't hurt to try it yourself and see what you're comfortable with.

Bobby B.
08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Along with Brandon's video, I've watched numerous other videos showing 2 downriggers with a rod each. Some videos show more than one rod on a single downrigger. None seem to encounter any difficulties landing hooked fish. I am a total nube at this and am not contesting anyone's experience or advice. I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

At this point, I'm considering electric downriggers but am not aware of how well this would work out on a 14 ft. tinner.

Running two rods on separate downriggers would allow for two different presentations. If one presentation keeps get hit while the other does not, I could switch the unproductive presentation to match the productive one.

Bobby

Tfng
08-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Well you know what they say about opinions but I will give you mine anyway. I will quantify my opinion with the fact I've run downriggers extensively for over thirty years.

Buy two manual downriggers of your choice which have good retrieve ratios. Go with a ball no lighter than 9 pounds if you want to fish below 75 feet or you troll extremely heavy pulling lures or troll at a fast speed. Consider how they will be mounted before you buy one. I like one near the back on captains side and one a little further ahead for passenger, this way you're not tripping over each other in a small boat. I'm assuming your Naden is a tiller model. On a larger boat mount them an equal distance from the transom.

This way you can run two riggers solo if you want and will have two for days you have a partner.

There are a few methods to stack lines on one rigger. You can buy releases which clip to the cable and you can add a second line above the ball. Remember if you stop the second lure will fall into the first if they are close together. You can put two releases together and use one to clip to the cable and one to the line. Another option is to tie a lure on an six foot piece of line with a swivel. After setting the rod you can clip this lure to the main line and it will fall until it hits the belly in the line. Hookups are harder this way but gives another option to try a different colour fished shallower.

Good luck with whatever route you decide.

Kurt505
08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Along with Brandon's video, I've watched numerous other videos showing 2 downriggers with a rod each. Some videos show more than one rod on a single downrigger. None seem to encounter any difficulties landing hooked fish. I am a total nube at this and am not contesting anyone's experience or advice. I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

At this point, I'm considering electric downriggers but am not aware of how well this would work out on a 14 ft. tinner.

Running two rods on separate downriggers would allow for two different presentations. If one presentation keeps get hit while the other does not, I could switch the unproductive presentation to match the productive one.

Bobby

Bobby, I don't know how much you plan on using downriggers, and I'm not sure what kind of tinner you're running, but don't get caught up over thinking the situation. No matter which brand you buy or which style you go with, you'll be running them like a pro within hours.

I went with manuals based on the fact I don't use them often enough to warrant electrics, nor will I be using them below 200ft + of water very often, if ever.

Whether its salmon fishing on the west coast or fresh water fishing for trout, its always been sort of an unwritten rule that the boat stays in gear and the riggers stay down unless its a big fish. I have experienced tangles on rare occasions, but I've also experienced tangles trolling for pike and walleye. If it were me, doing a couple trips a year in fresh water for trout, I would just go with manuals, especially in a 14ft tinner where battery space and shear size may be a factor. Now as far as brand goes, that's up to you. The fact the scotty is a Canadian brand with parts and warranty being easier accessed, personally I would go that route. Don't let people tell you they are difficult to operate single handedly because its just not true. Fishing with old people and young people, I've done it single handedly and landed the fish successfully.

Go to the fishin hole sale and grab the one you get the best deal on and slay some fish!

Bobby B.
08-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Once my house sells, we're relocating to Kamloops. I will be retired the same day the new owners take possession of our house. I will be spending a great deal of time fishing the numerous lake, quadding, hiking, hunting, etc..

By nature, I'm and avid researcher. I hope to move out to Kamloops with sufficient knowledge to get started fishing.

BTW, my tinner is a 14 ft. Canadian Laker. It's a bit wider than most 14 footers and has a higher bow as well.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their knowledge so far. It's much appreciated.

Bobby

Sea Hawk
08-26-2015, 09:37 PM
You should be cautious mounting downriggers on a 14 foot boat. Depending on length of arm and the mounting location, hanging up on the bottom could put you in a dangerous situation in a big hurry. I had a situation once fishing at Rupert. I had my downrigger set at 50 feet in 150 feet of water. Something very large and moving very quickly tangled in the cable. The downrigger looked ready to tear off the boat. The brake was releasing wire big time. After yanking almost 50 feet of wire out, things stopped as quickly as they started. I saw a group of what looked to me to be dolphins came to surface moving very quickly. I always try to keep sidecutters handy for this type of situation. I had no time to do anything. With a small boat if that rigger does not start to slip you would be underwater in moments.

southernman
08-26-2015, 10:49 PM

Bobby

For me it depends, if it's pulling lots of string, Ie big fish, I will let it run and haul up the down riggers and other rod, and then fight fish, just keep line tight, while you get other gear up, I will normally leave boat slowly going forward, as this helps keep tension on line, if too much line out, I just turn boat around and gain line back using The boat, again keep line tight, this is how you do it for Marlin, kingfish etc in the ocean, clear the gear for big fish,
Smaller I just leave gear down, but may pull down rigger up, on one side, so half the boat is clear of gear.
You will work out you own system over time...

Tfng
08-27-2015, 10:45 AM
You should be cautious mounting downriggers on a 14 foot boat. Depending on length of arm and the mounting location, hanging up on the bottom could put you in a dangerous situation in a big hurry. I had a situation once fishing at Rupert. I had my downrigger set at 50 feet in 150 feet of water. Something very large and moving very quickly tangled in the cable. The downrigger looked ready to tear off the boat. The brake was releasing wire big time. After yanking almost 50 feet of wire out, things stopped as quickly as they started. I saw a group of what looked to me to be dolphins came to surface moving very quickly. I always try to keep sidecutters handy for this type of situation. I had no time to do anything. With a small boat if that rigger does not start to slip you would be underwater in moments.

Great advice about keeping side cutters handy. Boats have gone down because they got caught up in nets in rough weather. Having downriggers caught up in old nets is no fun. Nets can show up on sonar but it's usually too late by then.

It's also a good point to have properly set up brakes on your down rigger.