PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good taxidermist

bigD1979
08-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Hello members, wondering if anyone knows of a good taxidermist that mounts fish. I caught a 10 pound walleye and would like to get it mounted. If anyone knows of one that still deals with real fish mounts a poke in the right direction would be appreciated. thanks

RavYak
08-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Hello members, wondering if anyone knows of a good taxidermist that mounts fish. I caught a 10 pound walleye and would like to get it mounted. If anyone knows of one that still deals with real fish mounts a poke in the right direction would be appreciated. thanks

Alexander Muirhead with Advantage Taxidermy is one of the best skin mount taxidermists out there based on what I have seen and heard.

I believe you might have to wait a while to get one done but he posts some awesome stuff on facebook.

PerchBuster
08-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Alexander Muirhead with Advantage Taxidermy is one of the best skin mount taxidermists out there based on what I have seen and heard.

I believe you might have to wait a while to get one done but he posts some awesome stuff on facebook.

X2.......it will take a year to year and a half to get back but you won't be disappointed . Alex's work is top notch. The mounts he did for me turned out great!

HappyHunter
08-25-2015, 07:30 PM
I would recommend Diane at buffalo taxidermy. She doesnt have a webpage but I have posted a picture of my perch mount I had done last year.
I will say that the perch came back like they just came out of the hole. She has a few deer left so I am sure she could get you a pretty decent turnaround.
HH

pinelakeperch
08-25-2015, 09:31 PM
I would recommend Diane at buffalo taxidermy. She doesnt have a webpage but I have posted a picture of my perch mount I had done last year.
I will say that the perch came back like they just came out of the hole. She has a few deer left so I am sure she could get you a pretty decent turnaround.
HH

Could you re post the picture or provide a link to the thread? Thanks.

Who Da Fisherman
08-26-2015, 01:28 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=220343

hope this works

binnzer32
08-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Do not use Alexander Muirhead. He's not good at walleye. Only decent with perch.

CK Angler
08-26-2015, 04:21 PM
That perch mount looks awesome! Would love something like that hanging in the man cave

HappyHunter
08-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Thanks for linking "Who Da Fisherman".

Diane has also done a grayling for myself and a pike for my brother in laws nephew. Give her a call she is a great person to deal with and keeps a very clean shop. I am sure you will be happy with the result.

RavYak
08-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Do not use Alexander Muirhead. He's not good at walleye. Only decent with perch.

And who would you recommend then?

His walleye that I have seen online are far from bad. I am sure there are many worse places to go to, not sure if there are many better places.

binnzer32
08-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Trust me Tyler..... not sure who I would use. I am not into taxidermy. Advanced does nice work out of Caledon ontario.

And who would you recommend then?

His walleye that I have seen online are far from bad. I am sure there are many worse places to go to, not sure if there are many better places.

bushnell
08-29-2015, 09:14 PM
So no one remembers Canada Wide Taxidermy

Grovehunter
01-08-2016, 12:42 PM
I sure do. I brought a 38" pike to Alex in 1991. Paid full price up front and waited for the date he said it would be done. Called the shop and was told to wait another month. I waited, and waited, got no call. Calls back to him were all the same,
"I'm working on it." After a year, I stopped in and got yelled at as he pulled a much smaller pike than mine out of a bucket of borax and said, "Here's your F'n pike, you want it!" Said he'd finish it and call me when it was done. It's 2016 and I'm still waiting and I'm still out the money I paid for a completed mount.

Rage.0
01-08-2016, 02:20 PM
good lesson for everyone, only pay your deposit, and get a receipt

double gun
01-08-2016, 02:30 PM
good lesson for everyone, only pay your deposit, and get a receipt

Then what? If he doesn't sell it, or give it away the authorities won't do anything.

Walleye101
01-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Alex Muirhead is not the guy. You may never see your fish again. CROOK.

SAO
01-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Alex did this one for me. VERY HAPPY WITH IT

fish99
01-08-2016, 04:41 PM

nice fish mount looks good

lromanchuk
01-08-2016, 05:03 PM

Nice Pike :)

diamond k
01-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Alex's mounts are ok but I would not use because his attitude, integrity and personality are the pitts.

He has daemons he needs to figure out before I will ever deal with him again.

Lots of good taxidermist on here but not sure how many do skin mounts any more.

Try Ben at art of taxidermy.

double gun
01-08-2016, 07:02 PM

From what I see, it looks good.