PDA

View Full Version : 325 WSM reloading.

albertadeer
08-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Does anyone reload for the 325WSM?

I don't, but at $100 a box I probably should...

Wondering if anyone would want to work up some loads? Or anyone have any input on 325wsm loads? I'm trying to locate someone around GP who could help.

Smokercraft
09-01-2015, 09:47 AM

Wondering if anyone would want to work up some loads? Or anyone have any input on 325wsm loads? I'm trying to locate someone around GP who could help.
I just purchased a Stainless X-bolt in .325 WSM in January.

So far I've only tested 175gr Sierra's for deer. I used IMR4350, and seated the bullets just off the lands. I've had really good results with my final load that I settled on getting less than 1" groups at 100 yards (off a lead sled). When the wind died down for me I was able to get clover leafs.

I don't remember what the powder charge I used was, I know it's a couple grains south of the book max, but if you send me a PM I can take a look at my log book when I get home.

I've loaded up some test groups of 200gr Speers for Moose/Elk which I hope to test at the end of September when I back out to the farm.

Really love the gun so far, but it's not for recoil sensitive shooters, even with the great butt pad on the x-bolts.

Components can be a pain to find, Wolverine in Red Deer is where I got my bullets and dies, brass was from P&D in Edmonton. If you find 8mm bullets at a retailer in GP I'd love to hear about it as I travel through there for work a fair amount.

obsessed1
09-01-2015, 10:14 AM

I dont have dies for the 325wsm but if you would invest in the dies powder and projectiles I can sure HELP you load some ammo. As its been said before many time on this forum because of Canadian laws I cant just sell you loaded ammo. for the price of 2 boxs you should be able to load close to 200 rounds providing you already have the brass.

I am North of GP pm me if you are interested

BigJon
09-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Sell the 325 wsm to an unknowing soul, use the proceeds to buy a press, accessories and reloading components and buy something that's not a 325 wsm...live a little.

Cappy
09-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Been loading and shooting the 325wsm for several years now. Simply love the rifle and is one I will not sell. My go to load was always the 220 Seirra over a book max load of H4350 and COL of 2.86" Last year I got some 160gr TTSX on a trade and gave them a rip. Stoned a bull moose at about 180-200 yards, blowing through the top of both shoulders and exiting out the far side. I don't find the recoil to bad, not something I want to shoot off the bench all day, but not to bad to zero and easy to shoot in the field.

Smokercraft
09-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Sell the 325 wsm to an unknowing soul, use the proceeds to buy a press, accessories and reloading components and buy something that's not a 325 wsm...live a little.
Bad experience with the cartridge? I did a tonne of research before I bought the rifle, and every review I read, both professional and regular hunters like me, had nothing but good things to say. Accurate and as Cappy mentions a hell of a lot of down range energy.

The only thing I would say is that considering ammo cost, you should reload if you intend to buy one.

Gilly
09-02-2015, 08:57 AM
I own 2 rifles in 325 wsm. Moose elk bear deer and a bunch of African game have fallen to em. The 200 accubonds or 180 ballistic tips are what I use. Got some 180 triple shocks I gotta load up to. Components aren't the easiest to find. Recoil is stiff but not obnoxiously so. Highly underrated cartridge IMO. Have fun with it.

Cheers

Gilly

BigJon
09-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Bad experience with the cartridge? I did a tonne of research before I bought the rifle, and every review I read, both professional and regular hunters like me, had nothing but good things to say. Accurate and as Cappy mentions a hell of a lot of down range energy.

The only thing I would say is that considering ammo cost, you should reload if you intend to buy one.

Nope. Was able to avoid that mistake without having gone there.

Lousy brass options, lousy bullet options, an appetite for powder without doing anything really impressive.

If it floats your boat, knock yourself out. I was giving advice based on my opinion.

albertadeer
09-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Nope. Was able to avoid that mistake without having gone there.

Lousy brass options, lousy bullet options, an appetite for powder without doing anything really impressive.

If it floats your boat, knock yourself out. I was giving advice based on my opinion.

It's already knocked down acouple booner whitetails a big moose
An elk and a bear for me.

I've owned the gun since 2006.

Thanks for the advice guys! I got a couple pepole willing to help! I appreciate it!

duceman
09-02-2015, 12:14 PM
no question the round will do it's job, but as bigjon stated, quite a few drawbacks in comparison to similar cartridges. i wanted one bad fro a while, but then did some loading for one and that opened my eyes.
having loaded and shot all the wsm cartridges, i've come to the conclusion that they answered a question that was never asked, lee

Dean2
09-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Don't let the a 308 can doing anything needs doing crowd colour your love of the magnums. ALL guns and all Cartridges are fun to own and shoot. It may not make sense to shoot 30 grains more powder out of a 7 RUM to get an extra 300 FPS over a 7 Rem Mag, but if it was all about efficiency were would the fun be.

You can obviously shoot yours and handle the recoil so there is no down side to using it, except for the cost of factory ammo. Glad to see you found a couple of guys to help you reload.:)

duceman
09-02-2015, 04:19 PM
i get what your saying dean, but at the end of the day, if you take a close look at the ballistics of a lot of the new fangled 'magnums', the marginal 'gains' in velocity, (which is what a certain group of people are hung up on), comes at such a cost that they are actually counterproductive.
for the extra few hundred fps any wsm give you over it's same caliber counter-part, (270 win for example), it will cost you another 20% powder, and close to 15% more pressure.
factor in that the brass is considerably thicker in the wsm, which drastically shortens case life, as well as a marked increase in recoil, and noticeably decreased barrel life, is there any real world gains?
i prefer to select 'new fangled' cartridges based on actual paybacks in the way of less powder and recoil, for the same or marginally less performance than a same caliber counterpart, 6br for example. i can drive a 100 gr bullet from a 243 at 3000fps, pretty well maxed out, with a 24" barrel.
the 6br will drive the same 100 gr bullet at 2900fps in the same length barrel, maxed out with very close pressures.
the bonus is 25% less powder used, and a 50% increase in barrel life, with a noticeable difference in lower recoil as well.
seems like a no brainer to me, but i'm easlily pleased, lee

albertadeer
09-02-2015, 04:52 PM
i get what your saying dean, but at the end of the day, if you take a close look at the ballistics of a lot of the new fangled 'magnums', the marginal 'gains' in velocity, (which is what a certain group of people are hung up on), comes at such a cost that they are actually counterproductive.
for the extra few hundred fps any wsm give you over it's same caliber counter-part, (270 win for example), it will cost you another 20% powder, and close to 15% more pressure.
factor in that the brass is considerably thicker in the wsm, which drastically shortens case life, as well as a marked increase in recoil, and noticeably decreased barrel life, is there any real world gains?
i prefer to select 'new fangled' cartridges based on actual paybacks in the way of less powder and recoil, for the same or marginally less performance than a same caliber counterpart, 6br for example. i can drive a 100 gr bullet from a 243 at 3000fps, pretty well maxed out, with a 24" barrel.
the 6br will drive the same 100 gr bullet at 2900fps in the same length barrel, maxed out with very close pressures.
the bonus is 25% less powder used, and a 50% increase in barrel life, with a noticeable difference in lower recoil as well.
seems like a no brainer to me, but i'm easlily pleased, lee

How does this effect me?

The gun will likely see less than 200 rounds in its life...

I just figured why pay $1000 when I might be able to get it for $500?

albertadeer
09-02-2015, 04:53 PM
How does this effect me?

Pew pew pew

duceman
09-02-2015, 06:02 PM
How does this effect me?

my ramblings don't affect you in the least. nothing more than a conversation in the middle of a thread derail, welcome to outdoorsman! :sHa_sarcasticlol:
in regard to 'affecting' you; getting some help with some handloads is awesome, i would help as well if i was closer or you wanted to send me the gun.
as you've proven, the gun will do everything you ask it too, and since it is dedicated to a low volume hunting gun, it will last you a lifetime.
if it's only gonna see 200 rounds, that's $600, give or take for factory ammo. if it shoots it well, the handloading angle is pointless.
good luck this season, lee

cody c
09-03-2015, 07:41 PM
I've got a box of .325 ammo, a box of brass, dies and a .325 savage model 16 barrel I'd part with for a few bucks if your looking to get some gear together to reload and your interested send me a PM

DaleJ
09-04-2015, 12:22 AM
Lee you're way to nice, what happened? Hope it wasn't a stroke.

I like the WSM and WSSM idea. I hate the terrible cartridge quality.