PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Rebuild - Stripped Bolt

LutherDLG
08-27-2015, 07:18 PM
Hey All,

I was rebuilding the water pump on my motor today and I'm afraid the worst has happened. The bottom housing on the pump was plastic (not sure if that's normal or not) and when I was snugging up the 4 bolts, I'm pretty sure I over tightened one and stripped it.

I just bought the boat about a month ago and this Saturday was supposed to be its maiden voyage (for me), so my question is - do you think it will be OK or should I abandon the plan, start from scratch and order a new housing? The housing is still very tight and I replaced all the gaskets. The bolt that I think I stripped was still firmly in the housing, but I'm not sure how high the pressure gets in these pumps, so I'd love to hear your opinions.

The motor is a 1981 Mercury 115 inline-6.

If I've forgotten to mention any details, please ask. And Mods, if this should be in the General section, please move.

Thank you!

-JR-
08-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Remove the bolt and try a hele coil

LutherDLG
08-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Remove the bolt and try a hele coil

Interesting. Are you thinking just to rethread it or do they make versions that stay in as bolts? Never used them before.

Thanks for the idea.

dodgeboy1979
08-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Interesting. Are you thinking just to rethread it or do they make versions that stay in as bolts? Never used them before.

Thanks for the idea.

they have versions you thread in with your bolt. they work really slick

-JR-
08-28-2015, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the idea.

It is a little kit you buy .
You drill the hole with the the drill bit it comes with then you tap it and screw in the hele coil which looks like a spring . Brings it back to normal spec.I do about one or two a month in aluminum .

bigbfidaddy
08-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Best invention for anything aluminum on a block. We take the intake of the race car and heli coil four carb mounting bolt holes before it ever even gets put on the engine.

Puma
08-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Where do you get these kits, and how small do they go ?

-JR-
08-30-2015, 05:33 PM
acklands ,greggs edmonton nut and bolt etc.