PDA

View Full Version : fishing tobin lake

walleyejunkie
08-28-2015, 06:16 AM
thanks in advance .. im heading to tobin lake middle of sept. for about a week of fishing first time there .im wondering about the camping sites and the good fishing areas .I found the nipawin regional park camp ground and also twinmarine park which has a marina which would be nice not having to bring the boat out every time .are these two campgrounds close to good fishing or are there other places. just retired more time to fish ////

schmedlap
08-28-2015, 06:20 PM
The regional park campsite is quite nice and has treed sites and full services. I think "twin marine" is basically next door, and is right at the main marina on the river. Both are on or near the upper river stretch below the upper dam, and very convenient to all services, the town, and a good boat launch. If you don't want to have to pull your boat out every day though, you will have to rent a slip at Twin Marine. And if you want to fish the reservoir, it is a few km of boat ride down the river to get to the top of it. They used to also rent houseboats - its a great place for that and the one time we did it for 3 days was wonderful. I recommend it.

"Murray's Resort" is about half way down the actual reservoir, about a 30 km (?) drive past town and off the highway on the way to Carrot River. They have upper and lower campgrounds - not as nice as regional park in terms of being more "open" ground. The little village there has a tackle and convenience shop, restaurant, hotel, and a cottages area. Very good boat launch and dock, very nice and accomodating people, and a marina area behind a breakwater (good wind shelter), as to which the boat parking used to be free for campers staying there. The location advantage is that if you do not have a big "fast" boat, you are located closer to accessing the entire lake and river stretch.

There is also a Provincial campground near the lower dam, with both serviced and unserviced sites, some areas in the trees, and some rather open. It is about 80 km (?) past Nipawin, and off the road to Cumberland House. It is 3-4 km out to what used to be a pretty minimal, but servicable, boat launch just west of the lower dam. It does have a little convenience and tackle shop. We used to go to a local "fishing derby" (amateurs) there every Aug. long weekend with some local relatives - great times and very good fishing. My biggest Walleye ever (we caught 22 over 5 pounds that afternoon) and lots of the biggest pike I ever caught (there are lots of very big ones at that end of the lake), came out of that area. There are also big retention ponds (one is a small lake really) below the dam where you can fish from shore - they "trap" a lot of good walleye and pike, burbot, and masses of goldeyes, and that can be a lot of fun for the kids just casting off the rocks.

And I think there is a rather more primitive campground and boat launch on the north side of the reservoir more or less across from Murray's. Only ever saw it from the boat and stopping there to let a woman or two exit to take a leak.

I do not know whether the lake or river stretch would be the better fishing option in September. I do know that for anyone who wants to catch a lot of really big pike, right after ice out in late May, and October, are the best times. I generally always had better fishing in the reservoir than the river stretch, but have caught some very large pike and seen some huge walleye (up to 15 lb) come out of the river stretch in mid-summer. There is so much structure related to the flooded river channel, etc., and so many bays, coves, big flats, weed beds, that the fishing is just really a matter of finding the best spots for current conditions. Once one finds a spot, it seems you can just spend the day reelint them in - has to be one of the most magnificent easily accessible fresh water fisheries anywhere (?).

walleyejunkie
08-28-2015, 07:02 PM
thanks so much schmedlap for the great info.it gives me some great choices for me to work with.i,ll let you know how I do. don

Talking moose
08-28-2015, 07:16 PM
I hear the Codette lake part of the river is starting to surpass Tobin or the river around Nipiwin.....the locals are fishing it instead......

Swaintrain21
08-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Tobin Lake is a fantastic fishery. I just spent a week there in August. depending on where you launch and what you're after as to where you should start.
If you launch at the Tobin Lake resort, you have a long run to the River section but well worth the trip for Walleye and smaller Pike. There is a lot of huge Walleye in the river. The river has a few big pike but not as many as the main lake. If you launch at the Nipawin launch you are on the river and have a long run to the Main lake.
If you google Tobin Lake, you'll come across the map listing the spots of the big fish. The map does not lie. It tells you where/what and how to fish the lake. Trust the map.
In the river I'd use spinners behind 2-3oz bottom bouncers, like a size 5-6 spinner, about 1.5-1.75/mph. big and quick is the key.
This time of year the FLATS (Northern end big main lake) are going to be excellent for BIG pike. Troll No.2 Spoons in 4-8 ft of water. If you go bigger than that you'll spend the day pulling weeds.

hope this helps
Scott

Nova
08-28-2015, 08:30 PM
And I think there is a rather more primitive campground and boat launch on the north side of the reservoir more or less across from Murray's. Only ever saw it from the boat and stopping there to let a woman or two exit to take a leak.

Pruden's Point and Carrolls Cove are both more or less across from the village, Pruden's a bit more east, Carrolls a bit west.

I hear the Codette lake part of the river is starting to surpass Tobin or the river around Nipiwin.....the locals are fishing it instead......

Two years ago I had great luck on the river, last year I don't think I caught any walleye in 3 days of fishing. My dad talked to one of his regular customers that does an annual trip to Tobin recently. He said Tobin was dead compared to what he's used to. He went over to Codette and the bite was hot.

Well timed thread, I'd been wondering what was over on the east side near the flats for launches and camping. Hoping to head there myself a time or two in September and would rather just launch near the flats than make the trek in the boat. Stayed at the shorebird twice and was happy with it. Also rented a slip in the marina once and camped in my boat with the top up.