PDA

View Full Version : First time Salmon fishing

Chris88CL
09-01-2015, 01:31 PM
In a week Im heading to Harrison Lake (river really) to try my hand at some salmon fishing. I'm an alberta boy born and raised and believe it or not I've never gone after Salmon in BC.

We've got 83 acres on the Harrison River about a km downstream of the lake where we will be staying. I will have the ski boat out there as its boat access only, but most of my fishing will likely be from shore.

Obviously I need a heavier rod than Im used to and a large open faced reel, but what tackle and techniques are best suited for this type of fishing?

If you dont want to publicly display your trade secrets, feel free to PM me.

Thanks in advance.

James Henry
09-01-2015, 01:41 PM
You wont be too far from Fred's in Chilliwack, it is an awesome fishing store. They have reasonable prices and great advice. If you google their webpage, they have fishing reports. I wouldnt think of fishing out there without stopping in.
JH

CenterPin
09-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Try not to go too heavy and keep your bait just off bottom. Most guys are linning (snagging) out there and its pretty gross what goes on out there. Only thing id be using is roe and spoons.

EZM
09-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Here is the ticket ....

http://www.rapala.com/luhr-jensen/lures/spoons/krocodileandreg/Krocodile.html?cgid=luhrjensen-lures-spoons&start=1

Heavy and easy to cast .....

Chris88CL
09-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Some great advice.

You certainly wont see me snagging anything except sunken lumber. Keep it coming!

Wild&Free
09-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Try not to go too heavy and keep your bait just off bottom. Most guys are linning (snagging) out there and its pretty gross what goes on out there. Only thing id be using is roe and spoons.

Don't you mean flossing?

I assume it's sockeye they're targeting this time of year and in many systems flossing is the only way to hook em.

if the coho are running, spinners and spoons have worked the best for me up north. Never fished down there so cant offer a lot of advice.

CenterPin
09-02-2015, 12:13 AM
Ya flossing/lining,same thing. Down there they floss everything that swims spring, coho, steel, works the same on them all. If your bouncing bottom your fishing too deep. Try spoons little cleo and like was mentioned earlier crocs or shortfloat eggs you will get some fish and ethicaly too.