PDA

View Full Version : How Does the system work ......

demasterangler
11-12-2006, 04:13 PM
In fifty words or less can someone tell me how you can buy more guns . I have a POL and one shotgun registered .
Im thinking of getting back into big game , sorry I sold everything when I left Manitoba . Should I wait and see if the long gun registry in repealed . If not how long does it take to get an FAC... Thanks DMA

Rub Sign
11-13-2006, 08:46 AM
DMA,

Even if the long gun registry is abolished, you will still need a licence to buy (or borrow or be given) a gun. The FAC is now the Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and is different from the FAC in that you must have it with you while carrying your firearm (not just when buying one).

The time it takes to get a PAL can apparently vary, so it's important your application is correct the first time. Visit the Canadian Firearms Centre (http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/default_e.asp) for more information.

Scott N
11-13-2006, 11:14 AM
To purchase firearms these days you need to apply for a PAL, and with the application you need to send proof that you've taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course / or challenged and successfully passed the test. I'd suggest picking up the manual for the course and challenge the course since you already are familiar with firearms. (I believe you can download a PDF file on-line, but I don't know the Internet address)

You can do this at this organization if you're near Calgary or Edmonton:

www.aheia.com/ (http://www.aheia.com/)

There is both a practical and a written exam, but it is not difficult as long as you know the material covered in the course book.

Like Don already mentioned, the registry and the licensing system are two completely different requirements.

There is a minimum "waiting period" of 28 days for new PAL applicants, but realistically it will take about 45 - 60 days to get your PAL once the application is submitted.

smurph
08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
I had my FAC and then got the POL (dumb) and decided a year ago I wanted to buy a new shotgun. So I took the course from AHEIA and submitted my PAL license papers. They received the paperwork on May 1, 2007. Waited...waited.... waited some more. Checked status on line and said it was still in the initial process. So I called today (3 months and 30 days later) and spoke to someone on the 1800 #. They said they would forward an email request to the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) in Alberta to review and find out what was holding it up. Great!. So I check tonight on line and sure enough, it's being sent out in the next two weeks. So... I would encourage anyone who's waited more than a couple of months (even though the max is supposed to be 45 days) to call the CAFC and get your file dusted off and sent to you.

Happy hunting! Now off to look for that new shotgun.

S