PDA

View Full Version : Fishing around McLeod Lake & Whitecourt

hboyer17
09-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Hey there just wondering if theres anybody who has gone fishing at McLeod lake or Little McLeod Lake by Whitecourt and Carson-Pegasus Park, or up at the Athabasca Below Whitecourt.

Whats the best approach fishing there? Fly-fishing or angling? Also I am like 15 and just started fly fishing so if anyone can recommend good flys for mid September that would be perfect (I was thinking mayflies but not sure) for the lake or river that would be great because I have no idea what they would be going for.

I am looking to catch some brook trout and rainbows at the lakes, but also the Athabasca for greyling and walleyes. Should I use spinners or flys for the greyling?

Also if anyone knows good spots on the McLeod Lakes or the Athabasca I would love to know. Anyone fished the one hole behind the big rocks upstream about 100 feet from the Alberta 43 Highway
We have a Flat bottom jet boat for the lake and river if the Athabasca is even accessible that for north.

Thanks!

:fishing:

Dragless
09-04-2015, 04:47 PM
mcleod lake aka carson lake is a great lake to fish rainbows from, use green leech or damsel patterns if fly and powerbait if not fly, little mceod has pike regular pike lures work well there it has the odd very large one 10lbs plus, the athabasca is a little bit more tricky but if you guys have a jet boat i suggest cruising the river and fish the creek mouths for grayling and whitefish nymphs are the way to go i have alot of luck with just the regular copper john or hares ear swung in the current, if you want to catch walleye in the river its hard to beat chartruese colored jiggs, hope this helps

mikebossy
09-05-2015, 10:37 AM
its september, in the lake try brown idaho nymphs or brown stickleback imitations, better yet though is look for rising fish in the afternoon and fish backswimmer/water boatmen imitations on the surface, cast to the rise, the fish will come back to find your fly if you're quick enough,last but not least fish a cased caddis larvae imitation near the narrows/weeds just off bottom, if you catch some fish and open there stomachs the flies in there will tell u what they are feeding on, can be very interesting! informative