PDA

View Full Version : Calling Lake Today

thefishermenken
09-05-2015, 10:34 PM
We were out at Calling today and came across this buck trying to swim across the lake. The photo is from a distance as we didn't want to disturb this fellow. He was a good km or two from shore. I am not sure what his plan was but hope he can make it to land, K

1bluZebec
09-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Holy crap yeah I hope he made it . Personally I think he's nuts and should of walked around

German
09-05-2015, 11:27 PM
I've seen them in rivers before, but not out in the lake like that.

Talking moose
09-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Escaping wolves maybe.

German
09-06-2015, 04:13 AM
I hope i see some wolves this fall/winter. :fighting0007:

Drewski Canuck
09-08-2015, 01:58 PM
About 2007 was on the lake taking the kids tubing and came across a young buck in the middle. He was exhausted. We left him alone and he kept on swimming.

Next day the drowned young buck was about a 1/2 mile from shore. Thought hard that maybe next time I would get a rope around the antlers and drag the deer to shore so it would stand a chance.

Don't know why the deer get into the water other than to escape flies and predators. Do know when they get dis oriented and exhausted.

I posted about this and 1/2 said let nature take its course, others said they would have tried to help.

Drewski

German
09-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Yeah that's a tough call. Probably best to let nature take its course. Even if it isn't pretty.

bigrfish
09-08-2015, 06:57 PM
How did the water look when you were there fisher?
Heading that way in the am...need a Calling fix.

PerchBuster
09-08-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm sure that deer made it no problem. I've encountered Moose and Deer on the water before and they both swim exceptionally good for long distances. So do Bears by the way lol but that's another story! I would always err on the side of leaving them be. Running up on them stresses them out and could cause more harm than good. I mean they must have gotten over to Vancouver island and Haida Gwaii somehow right?

Rafter1
09-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Saw a doe about a kilometer off shore at Pinehurst last fall. Keeping a safe distance I cut off her line of travel and turned her back in the direction she was coming from and just followed her back to shore.

last minute
09-09-2015, 05:25 AM
I posted about this and 1/2 said let nature take its course, others said they would have tried to help.I would of tried to help:)

1bluZebec
09-09-2015, 10:29 PM
I would of kept very distant but close enough to tell whether it was going to drown or not and only attempt to help if obviously it wasn't going to make it. Tough call. Of course I'd be fishing while watching?