PDA

View Full Version : Trolling speed

TROLLER
09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
So I got this new boat a 14 with a 40HP 4 stroker

Only problem is I cannot get it to troll under 2.3-2.5 mph

I like 1.4 to 1.8 and even slower for walleye. So would a couple of troll bags work or should I consider a trolling plate?

Anyone running a small hp with a trolling plate and if so do they kick up out of the way when you power up?

Sea Hawk
09-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Have you tried trolling in reverse. I have found that will slow you down.

dodgeboy1979
09-09-2015, 11:55 AM
i use a troll o matic spring loaded trolling plate on my 75hp and can get it to about 1.4 kph. I would recommend this style as opposed to the others as it automatically flips open when you put throttle to the motor so you dont forget to flip it up like the others.

09-09-2015, 12:02 PM
you could always try a drift sock

Popik
09-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Drift sock is the cheaper route and works good. Troll plates work as well. I would avoid back trolling unless you have a higher transom as a decent wave over the back will end your day...and your boat.

huntsfurfish
09-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Drift socks!
Get a couple different sizes - large and med.
For good control over the walleye put one on the bow and back troll.
Also use for drifting broadside with one or two bags out.

Also valuable as safety item.:)
Lose power in wind and waves, you can use them to keep the bow into the wind (direct or quartering depending on wave height and spacing).

CanadianBadass
09-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Have you tried trolling in reverse. I have found that will slow you down.

So I got this new boat a 14 with a 40HP 4 stroker

Only problem is I cannot get it to troll under 2.3-2.5 mph

I like 1.4 to 1.8 and even slower for walleye. So would a couple of troll bags work or should I consider a trolling plate?

Anyone running a small hp with a trolling plate and if so do they kick up out of the way when you power up?

I had similar issues, I did as the second poster did, Reverse troll against the transom !

saskpikeman
09-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Drift socks work great for a quick fix. I have a a couple sizes even can go 1.2 with my 115.

Kokanee9
09-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Trolling in reverse works good if you don't mind water coming in the boat with each wave as it hits the transom.

Otherwise drift socks work well. Get 1 that is 1 or 2 sizes larger than recommended as your first one. I have a couple different sizes on the boat and use them for either trolling or slowly drifting on windy days.

A different prop with a lower pitch would also work.

catnthehat
09-09-2015, 02:18 PM
My advice would be to back troll for now and invest in a good electric trolling motor!:)
Cat

EZM
09-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Back trolling, as mentioned is good with a 20" transom, larger boat or splash guard in the chop ....... a smaller boat with a smaller transom isn't great for back trolling in chop and, in fact can be dangerous.

If you only have one main engine to troll with - drop the pitch to the minimum - you would be surprised how much it will effect your trolling speed. You also get explosive hole shot and lots of torque to boot. Of course, your top speed decreases, but it's a good trade off if you are a fisherman IMO.

Socks are good - I have some, but don't find the need to use them often, as I run the electric at 1 to 1.2 mph bouncing for walleyes - or just pulse and drift along.

All good suggestions.

If you don't have a sock - tie a 5 gal pail to about 10 ft of rope and chuck it behind the boat.

TROLLER
09-09-2015, 02:30 PM
I am going to have a chat with the guy at Propmaster in Airdrie maybe all I need is a different pitch and a 4 blade. Do not mind giving up top end for low end trolling.

While I have back trolled many times my transom is not all that tall and I am not a big fan of socks maybe the trolling bags are better or the trolling plate.

Thanks for all the good advise.

Donkey Oatey
09-09-2015, 02:33 PM
If you don't have a sock - tie a 5 gal pail to about 10 ft of rope and chuck it behind the boat.

It is what we did. Slows a guy right down. Cheap to.

cube
09-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Drift sock is the cheaper route and works good. Troll plates work as well. I would avoid back trolling unless you have a higher transom as a decent wave over the back will end your day...and your boat.

You could put on some wave wackers, or similar ,and just back troll. Or get a small 2 hp kicker. The nice thing about the small kicker is it is relatively cheap in comparison to your big engine so you will save money in the long run.

wildwoods
09-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Drift socks work awesome.

-JR-
09-09-2015, 05:18 PM
I have an inboard engine and a kicker.Both are 4 stoke
I just remove the engine cover and with a screw driver.......turn down the idle !

AdverseCity
09-09-2015, 05:19 PM
If you decide on a drift sock they don't have to drag behind the boat. You can tie it to the bow with about 8 feet of rope and it'll stay under the boat keeping it from getting caught in your line while bringing a fish in.

TROLLER
09-09-2015, 06:12 PM
i use a troll o matic spring loaded trolling plate on my 75hp and can get it to about 1.4 kph. I would recommend this style as opposed to the others as it automatically flips open when you put throttle to the motor so you dont forget to flip it up like the others.

Great troll plate but only available for 50HP and up. Talked to Stu at Propmaster and to get down to the speeds I am looking for would have me forgoing way too much on the top end. Maybe not even getting up to a proper plane and potentially way over reving the engine.

So, it will be a sock for now and I will start the hunt for either an elec minn kota or a small 4 stroker. Really do not want to go to 24 or 36 front troller if I can avoid it.

PerchBuster
09-09-2015, 07:39 PM
A good bow mount trolling motor set up would be my suggestion. Use the big motor when it's rough or into a stiff breeze and the bow mount whenever conditions allow. The remotes have your speed and everything else on there and really adds to the versatility of your vessel.

EZM
09-10-2015, 11:20 AM
A good bow mount trolling motor set up would be my suggestion. Use the big motor when it's rough or into a stiff breeze and the bow mount whenever conditions allow. The remotes have your speed and everything else on there and really adds to the versatility of your vessel.

That's pretty much what I do. Seems to be the easiest and most effective for my boat.

trowland
09-10-2015, 05:50 PM
I use 2 five gallon pails and tie them to the bow cleats on each side of the boat. Works well.

PerchBuster
09-10-2015, 07:49 PM
That's pretty much what I do. Seems to be the easiest and most effective for my boat.

X2......and with a dash of side imaging/ down imaging/GPS/iPilot Link/Auto chart pro to boot, a lot of my traditional boat control problems are now a thing of the past....and funner than throwing pails or socks overboard! Easier on the gas expenses too.

NewAlbertan
09-10-2015, 08:04 PM
This ^

$800? Max. So worth it

EZM
09-10-2015, 08:23 PM
X2......and with a dash of side imaging/ down imaging/GPS/iPilot Link/Auto chart pro to boot, a lot of my traditional boat control problems are now a thing of the past....and funner than throwing pails or socks overboard! Easier on the gas expenses too.

Heck yeah !!!

Some of the lakes I have mapped have all sorts of routes I've stored. Just pick a route, hit the go button i-pilot link, set the speed and no steering for 45 minutes and I'm cruising right along the structure ziging and zagging in and out along the shore line ....... worth every penny for me.

I bet I've more than doubled my catch rate.

Speckle55
09-10-2015, 10:07 PM
yep I agree ... This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ejwRj9t1Q

David:)